Update on Complex Airliners

I could not disagree more. And I say this as the furthest thing from a language fanboy. I really, truly, love them all, and I’ve used C, C++, C#, JS, TS, Scala, Java, Python, all at different times in my professional career. But the concept that jitted JS is slower than C++ is a misnomer these days. With as much care avoiding garbage collection as one would apply in C++ avoiding bad allocation strategies, the performance is functionally equivalent, especially for bare calculations where the proper jit is pretty obvious and almost always the same machine code as would be coming out of the C++ compiler.

Obviously, while having raw access to the video hardware can be a benefit in some specific scenarios, there are also a number of spots where the new Coherent GT stack is totally hardware accelerated, like with CSS animations, SVGs, and raw canvas calls.

Raw calculation throughput is rarely the bottleneck anyhow. The sim itself is doing way more work than any aircraft would be. It isn’t like the CPUs in these airliners are the epitome of processing power. If you can’t get fantastic performance in JS/TS in the simulator, I can guarantee it isn’t the language that’s the issue.

-Matt

10 Likes