V2 UPDATE released! LATEST BN2 Islander available now from Blackbox Simulation

I think there are two issues here. Copyright and support. If a third party changes how an aircraft works, it might make it impossible for the original designer to support it without having to first figure out what the third party did. The original designer might allow such changes with permission, if asked. But might still not be able to support them.

2 Likes

Yes, I certainly donā€™t expect anyone to support a community modification of a third party plane. Thatā€™s for the community to deal with themselves.

I might be wrong, but somewhere I got the impression that the modified Savage Cub was a GotGravel & Asobo collaboration.

Anyone else get this?

I am pretty sure it was not. :smiley:

1 Like

If it were official in any capacity Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™d have heard of that by now.

Iā€™m not clear on any of it. Not to relitigate a dead horse but how is it that CS could make an airplane shell (useless on its own) wrap it around the ASOBO 747 and still be able to sell it ?
Did they pay MS for the use of the 747 materials they have incorporated?

And with the Xcub and Zlin mods it makes a little more sense because they are free - yet the original works they are based on and greatly composed of are copyrighted and will be updated by ASOBO.

1 Like

CS are basically just selling a 3d model and 3d cockpit that then just plugs into the base game 747, thereā€™s nothing illegal about it but as shown by the outrage on this and other forums itā€™s just ethically pretty scummy to be selling this and made worse by the high price they are charging for it. And free mods of Asobo planes just get updated if and when Asobo changes stuff with the flight models or whatever like with the very popular flybywire A32NX.

Anyway this is all very off topic, I was initially a bit wary of getting this plane and was gonna wait for a few patches but then caved in and Iā€™m enjoying it very much and it looks like most of the issues it has will be fixed up so :+1:

1 Like

You did the right thing :slight_smile:
V1.1 coming within Days now ā€¦ All fixed up :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I hope that the update will include the standard camera system, like any other plane. I usually save my own camera positions for IFR, VFR and Landing (using key binding for saving 3 default camera positions), but when I try to do that with Islander, it crashes the sim. There are only two front view camera positions by default. it is very strange, unlike any other add-on plane I own.

1 Like

Carenado are not very good at assigning useful camera positions. They never bother to fix them, either. I just made my own for the Islander. Itā€™s enough to give me the standard views, plus some instrument ones.

1 Like

worry not they are on the way

3 Likes

One of my two favorite planes has just been updated today :)ā€¦ And now Iā€™m waiting for my second favorite plane to update (guess what plane :wink: )ā€¦ After that I will be a happy camper for a moment :+1:ā€¦
Canā€™t waitā€¦

1 Like

Camera views donā€™t matter when you fly the best way - in VR!

Yes but not everyone has VR and the majority still flies on 2D.I personally still fly on a monitor and have no intention moving to VR anytime soon.One being the hardware to run it.
Oops I am going off topic.

Was just a little fun - chill out mehearty! :wink:

I should have known better, though.

Welcome to the club! I sometimes get misunderstood, too! Itā€™s all part of the risk partaking in conversations via the written word, imojiā€™s not withstanding. With intonations, gestures, expressions all lacking, too often weā€™re too quick to take words literally.

Iā€™m just as guilty. I often advised my co-workers to NEVER put anything emotional in writing. 9 times out of 10 it will be either mis-interpreted, or youā€™ll later regret it.
:rofl:

Just had a nice little flight down to Barra. Lots of cloud, with distinct layers to sneak through. 27kt crosswind on approach, so nicely challenging, but nothing the Islander canā€™t handle. It was born for this. :slight_smile:

One more shot here, as it is relevant. I was using pause mode, and the drone camera to take some pictures. When I came back in to the cockpit, I found the main six pack had frozen, but the 530 was still updating. Then after a few minutes it just started responding. I took this photo deliberately banking the opposite way to the frozen attitude indicate to illustrate this:

For all who purchase BlackBox products, I would like to warn of the quality control of this third party. My suggestion is that, before buying, you look at a review of their Cessna L-19 Bird Dog and decide for yourself. Specifically, search for pictures of the areas behind the pilot, looking towards the rear of the aircraft interior, and closeups of the dashboard that can show visible polygons.

Those polygon gauges are several versions ago. I find BlackBoxā€™s support to be of good quality. The L-19 has improved quite a bit since release. The only negative about it right now is the bug that doesnā€™t let you start cold and dark.

5 Likes

I donā€™t own the L-19, but I do own the Islander. There are issues with it currently, but a patch is around the corner that should resolved most of those, I hope.

Even in its current state, I wouldnā€™t hesitate to recommend it. If your only complaint about the L-19 is some texture quality issues in certain areas, I donā€™t think that is reason enough not to buy it. And it appears that is old information anyway, it seems.

If you like flying twins, and currently I think this is the best one for my money right now, I would suggest you take a look at some reviews on YT, and see what you think.

4 Likes