Vegetation render distance slider (separated from terrain/objects LOD) for performance

In the last Q&A Seb stated, that the current option “Vegetation” (Low, Medium, High, Ultra) regulates the vegation distance.

So I guess no one knows what you guys want with that wishlist item. You should ellaborate more precicely.

Also the LOD Slider (Terrain) affects the distance of tree rendering.

There was a mod up to SU3 that could literally show trees to the horizon, with no relation to the Terrain LOD or tree quality slider, so I believe the supposed solutions presented by Asobo in the last Q&A are not real.

1 Like

yep, it was mostly to have a bigger tree draw distance without having to increase the objects LOD too much. The trees didn’t cost any (or hardly any) performance, while the rest of the objects do.

The news about the vegetation quality setting impacting draw distance was new indeed, and I hope they replace this with a slider where you can set it to draw trees further out than with the current ‘ultra’ setting.

i sorely miss this mod! it had a zero impact on performance, contrary to what Wloch said in the dev stream before the last one, that trees NOW would draw to the horizon, this mod actually delivered, and to this day i miss a good reason why they changed it so i just doesn’t work anymore?
Even with LOD400 the trees may show “to the horizon” at 50-1000ft everything above shows them cut off half way to the horizon.

and again one reason might be the fact, make it run on the xbox, therefore they changed the LOD somewhat and made every object bound to the ground LOD?

1 Like

nah, nothing to do with XBox, it’s been like this for ages, from way before the XBox release.

For now I run the sim at LOD 700%, and the trees are fine, the pc just barely copes in photogrammetry though :wink:

ok maybe, therfore the questionmark, still begs the question how trees litteraly to the hoizon with a mod and LOD100-200 where possible and why and how it isn’t anymore?

Both LOD200 pre and post mod disabeling patch

Easy; they changed the code that defines to where trees spawn (I think it was tree height related), which caused that mod to stop working. Again, nothing to do with the XBox release.

1 Like

The good thing with the old mod was it only made trees spawn further. This then hid any other terrain oddites with things popping or being out of a scale at a distance because - trees.

In other words the fact that the mod ONLY spawned trees at a distance was a good thing as it hid other weirdness like overly visible roads and rivers on mountains in the distance.

Asobo seem set on making everything spawn further out which seems to be problematic and not optimal, in the far distance it is only really trees and maybe, very rarely, the occasional city skyline that you care about.

3 Likes

Let’s kick this and see how the topic is going, revisit Shelburne farm, I don’t see real differences in distance, but mirroring and tree shape changed a bit,

(both Ultra, PC)

MSFS 2021 October 18

MSFS 2022 January 11

Real world

MSFS Low-End 2022 Januari 11

MSFS Medium

MSFS High

Looking forward to seeing the slider in SU8 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(maybe, according to dev snapshot)

1 Like

It’s not in the SU8 Beta Release Notes, which likely means it was deprioritised :frowning:

2 Likes

i guess this means, well not that any of the major downgrades since Alpha/Beta/release were reverted, this won’t show up anytime soon even though it was announced in a dev stream.

I’m in love with this sim and right now my only hope is that there’s a slider in the next update so that I can extend my scenery out a little further without my fps been crushed. Otherwise, I’m a very happy customer after WU7.

Currently the trees stop to render at around 12 nm for me with every setting maxed out.
One problem is that at and around 12 nm only a certain percentage of the entire coverage is rendered, let it be 10% of the trees that actually should be there.
I want a slider/option that allows me to extend that distance to at least 20nm and also being able to tell the sim to render 100% of the trees out to 20 nm.

Sadly, vegetation render distance slider was not added in Sim Update VIII even though it was promised. :frowning:

2 Likes

yep … ■■■■…

Looking forward to seeing the slider in SU9 :laughing:

It also has promised in sim update 7, I wouldn’t have much confidence in such implementation in the future if I were you.

1 Like

So in the last Dev Q&A stream I ask about whether there is any language barrier confusion related to this issue (because I assume the devs play the game mostly in the French language, Seb even demonstrated many times during the stream that he did not know the specific terms in English for some of the graphical settings) and my message gets removed on the Twitch chat… Zero explanation as to why it got removed.

I asked and said it ONCE as per demands and to not spam the chat.

Look, if you all want us to help, we’re glad to do so. If we do or say something wrong we’d like to be told what’s wrong with our actions, questions or statements as well. Simply erasing what I say from a chat won’t really solve the problem, in fact it just added to more confusion.

I’ll be posting here again, asking and suggesting: Is that a problem? Is it a language barrier issue?

If there is anything wrong with my statement/question let me know.

1 Like