Violent autopilot induced aerobatics. So frustrating [SOLVED]

See my earlier post:

I really don’t udnerstand why it’s so hard to create a clean configuration yourself without expecting to “dumb down” the possibilities that MSFS offers for a good reason.

I agree with this. I want that option to stay and I even like it that each key has options for multiple uses as you highlighted.

What I think WOULD be nice is an option (that can easily turned back on again if desired) whereby if the game detects a joystick/XB controller/PS4 controller it pops up a window giving the user the option to disable keyboard flight control input for that session.

Don’t agree. There is no reason to allow shared assignments between keyboard and stick. A keyboard user will never use stick and once you have a stick, you don’t want to use keyboard for stick functions, or you use another named configuration for it. Everyone can overlook a double setting… moving cameras around strange things happen, you check your settings… but in this case it’s disastrous, and it can easily be prevented ! The last control you choose for elevator or aeleron will do the task… and the previous control won’t…

This is plain wrong. Don’t judge from your way using the sim to be universal :slight_smile:
As I said, there are people using various peripherals at the same time. The sim shall never judge for the user what’s best to configure.

Yep, by reading red warnings when working on controls.

1 Like

You’re the one who starts judging people’s submits or questions, @coppersens. I never said stick cannot be combined with keyboard, my proposal is to avoid doubles. And it does not have to be all doubles… I think it’s only important when it concerns 1) throttle 2) aeleron 3) elevator 4) rudder and 5) flaps. If you make an exception for these 5 essential controls, issues will be prevented and unexpected results will not occur. You don’t want to bring AP into trouble by accidentally pressing cursor down or something…

Btw it’s my opinion this topic is only partially about keyboard/stick misunderstandings. They have marked it as “solved” because there was a double, but I wonder if it is really solved, when manual override (using keyboard !) has this result with the 172 AP. I find that topic more interesting…

But here we go - I sometimes use keyboard and sometimes my joystick buttons to control flaps.

What about trim? That should also be relevant, but again, I use joystick buttons as well as keyboard, whatever suits me best at the moment.

Your suggestion is limiting the options for people just for the sake of a few not to make a mistake. And my argument is that this mistake is already covered by the red warning sign when assigning controls.

There are simply too many various combinations of peripherals and the way people use them (for their very own reasons). Thus reducing the existing freedom to assign them is certainly not the way to go.

Keyboard input has no axis and the control surfaces stay in the position you put them in by pressing the keys. So forcing a certain aileron deflection using keyboard keys will block the AP from correcting that input (opposed to axis input).

Please read the topic, nothing is blocked, AP overcompensates and it simply does not allow you to correct one key back which is actually the real issue here… when AP would behave on keyboard input, this topic would not have appeared (I rest my case here !)

Nope, see:

The key input overrid the autopilot and since it was done via keyboard, the input remained in that position. It was not the autopilot that caused the flight surface movement, it was the accidental keyboard input.

Done already before I wrote anything, as usual.

Try it. Just put your C172 on 2000 Feet with a set arrival destination (you get AP) and then press cursor left one time, see what happens. You’ll crash, there is no “big deflection” needed, a single keystroke will do the job… and pressing the other key does not help anymore you’ll go down. That’s the root cause of this issue.

Indeed, but this is not an issue of double assignments but of some autopilot behavior. You’re correct in that matter.

Note that Num-5 resets any keyboard input and lets you indeed recover the situation immediately.

The issue is with how the keyboard input works - press one time to the direction gives you permanent bank with a static angle. Press Num-5 to recenter it (level flight).
The goal of this is probably to ease the flight when using keyboard controls.
The autopilot doesn’t seem to work well with that way of input.

1 Like

@ArcanePython931
I am afraid I have to side with the “Allow any bindings you see fit” crowd on this one. There are just too many possibilities and combinations that various cockpit configurations require. As a simple example; Flaps - I use joystick buttons, keyboard commands and voice command software. All have their individual bindings.
Trim - I use the joystick, keyboard.

We are simulating flight. In the cockpit, it is imperative that the pilot KNOWS what systems are going to be affected by a command input, whether a switch or knob. Systems familiarity is part of being a pilot. Make a mistake controlling a system and many people’s lives are at risk. This is only a sim and no-one is going to die, but is you are in command of a system, KNOW how it works, heed any warnings, don’t just blindly move forward without studying the system and understanding its limitations.

Might sound like I am asking too much of new users, but that is what being a safe pilot means. If you don’t know what it does or how it works, learn it. Never expect that automation is going to build a wall between you and disaster. It is more like a very thin piece of glass. Lean on it too much and you will fall through, eventually.

1 Like

Ah that’s true I’d also agree on that, Willis… it would be difficult to make a choice what controls can be assigned double and which ones cannot… questions will arise about it… I won’t put it in the wish list, I’ve put something else. I would just like my keyboard to behave as good as stick, when AP is on. No relevant influence on direction and keep horizontal flight. Manual override when persisting would be nice… a disengage of AP…

I believe there is a default key bound to CENTER CONTROLS. If not I suggest binding one to that command. Maybe even a double binding with Z (the default for TOGGLE AUTOPILOT). That way every time you engage Autopilot your keyboard controls will all go to 0 and the same when disengaging. Problem solved.

The key here is options. Options. No one is asking for a feature to be “taken away” or “removed”. I actually really like the depth of hotkey options in the game. Just give the option of a pop up which for the sake of clarity I’ll repeat again.

MSFS has detected a joystick. Would you like to disable keyboard flight controls for this session?
(You can enable it again anytime under Controls)

[Yes] . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[No]

[x] Do not show this option on startup again

Note I said primary flight controls - it would ONLY affect aileron, elevator & rudder. Not flaps, not reverse thrust, not lights, not AP, not any other keyboard dependent system.

The instant you unplugged the stick keyboard flight control surface control would be activated. Again all this behavior could be disabled so if the user prefers - BOTH will be active at all times.

It could also be told never to ask the user again.

What this will do - specially for those very new to the game - is perhaps help in preventing what happened to me which caused confusion.

With hindsight I now know it was NOT the auto pilot. It was me giving inadvertent left aileron commands when NUM4 was pressed (to look at the left wing).

Saying yes to the proposed pop-up window would tell MSFS “Use ONLY the stick for aileron,rudder & elevator”

I agree with @Coppersens - I also use the game the same way by using the keyboard for flaps, lights, mixture/prop control.

Again with hindsight the fix is easy - just delete all the keyboard flight control surface key assignments.

I‘t a little bit more „user involved“ tham just vlicking yes or no bjt you can do that pretty quickly yourself.

Make a new assignments profile for the keyboard and delete the flight controls (as you have done). If you use a joystick go the the assignments and chose the „no flight controls“ profile.

Asking is honestly not an option as there are probably several hundreds of things people want to have changed depending on how they wanna fly today. You can‘t ask everything. Assuming 99% or more have their devices plugged in all the time anyway it‘s just a useless dialogue that can be left out if the user who actually wants to use the keyboard sets up profiles. Keep in mind: the keyboard is just a controller. There are people who use various controllers for different aircraft, they have to choose profiles too, you can‘t be asked for any controller to be ignored. There‘s simply a bit of user awareness (so to say) required.

Sry for the typos :wink: I don‘t have my glasses on :stuck_out_tongue:

After reading your reply I realized…I agree with you. I didn’t look at it that way. Makes sense. I was gonna say that just have that dialog for the flight control surfaces as thats the most important thing to learn as a pilot - fly the airplane. But you make very good points. Doesn’t take long to dive into the menus and delete the assignments :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.