Virtual Desktop "native" OpenXR support is here!

“Oculus runtime” is a very loaded word. So I’m not sure 100% what you mean.

VDXR talks to Virtual Desktop’s emulation of LibOVR (“the legacy Oculus [rift] runtime”). But yes overall there is no longer anything in between, it’s like MSFS talking directly to the Virtual Desktop compositor that then does the compression and transport.

6 Likes

@mbucchia Do you have by any means an idea what can be causing a CTD when entering VR with the OpenXR toolkit active while using VDXR? I have the latest version of the toolkit installed. Was disabled to check some things yesterday, but I miss the better colors in VR it brings. When enabled I get a CTD whenever I switch to VR. I do this from the map screen before flight.

1 Like

Of course I’m not using SteamVR for msfs with Link or Air Link, just Oculus OpenXR. In any case, I’m glad to see you’ve made a lot of VD fanboys very happy, lol!

I was forced to use VD with my Q3 because all Oculus Link solutions had performance issues for me. VD+VDXR solved this. I am happy for you that you have it working fine without it but there is no need for you to denigrate mbucchia’s work as “making fanboys happy” nor to insult me and others because we need this specific solution. Let’s just all act like mature adults.

9 Likes

Turbo mode perhaps? It’s working for many people so it has to be a specific setting. Have you tried OpenXR Toolkit Safe Mode.

It’s all good, I was not offended. No need to escalate this discussion further.

6 Likes

Thank you mbucchia for this great piece of software, amazing!

I have VDXR selected as the runtime in the VD streamer app and it all seems to be working on my Pico 4 but under runtime on the VD performance panel it shows as “Oculus” and not VDXR. The runtime shows correctly as pointing to VDXR when I check the OpenXR developer tool though so I’m assuming it’s set up correctly?

1 Like

Tonight I could finally give that new version a try, and it was successful.
Despite my outdated hardware, it was indeed smoother than before. I’m really glad SteamVR is out of the way. Thanks a lot Mbucchia !

1 Like

The overlay showing Oculus is a known issue happening. As long as it doesn’t say SteamVR then you are fine.

1 Like

I have installed 1.29.3 Virtual Desktop as well as the beta streamer and the button still says Steam VR and when I press it Steam VR runs. I tried installing the streamer twice and still the button says Steam VR.

No idea what button you are talking about. Just select VDXR as OpenXR runtime in Virtual Desktop, then run MSFS normally. No button involved :smiley:

1 Like

Set VDXR IN Steamer, launch VD, launch game, CTRL Tab into VR

1 Like

Hello everyone
I don’t know if I’m doing anything wrong, but I don’t get the option to change OpenXR Runtime

Solved
I hadn’t downloaded the streamer beta

Thank you

1 Like

You have to update both the app on your VR headset as well as the streamer app to the beta version. You are still on the regular release version. In the bottom left you should see 1.29.3

I just tried safe mode, but after switching to VR mode MSFS hangs for a few seconds and then closes. Same behavior as without using safe mode. I’m on the latest nVIdia driver using an RTX3080.

I’ve already tried emptying my community folder, resetting the nVidia 3D settings, disabling Geforce experience overlay. Resizeable BAR is on, HAGS is off.

Nothing special to see in the log file, except the notification that says safe mode is enabled. Just tried MSFS in safe mode too and generated a trace file from the toolkit while doing that. I can send it to you if you like.

The only thing that helps is disabling the Open XR toolkit by using the checkbox for that. I still take this situation 10x above the previous situation without VDXR though :slight_smile: So no worries if it’s just me affected by this problem. But if any ideas come accross your mind (or if other people have an idea) please let me know.

As soon as I want to switch to VR, FS2020 stops…
Everything works well, I have the screen streaming with the app on the Oculus in ver 1.29.3 and the PC the same, I select the vdxr, but it completely bugs as soon as I switch to VR and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong!!
I have 3 Nvidia surround screens… could this come from there??

I have been a long time user of Virtual desktop and have always been slightly annoyed by the relationship with Steam and Steam VR so was delighted to read this post this morning.

I reloaded the beta version of the headset software and updated the streamer on PC, followed the instructions and hey presto! no more Steam involvement. Delighted.

I am not a VR expert so wondered what advantages I might expect from not using Steam VR anymore, apart from the obvious reduction in complication?

Maybe you are running into the same problem as me? Do you have the OpenXR Toolkit installed and enabled by any chance?

alot smoother than steamvr - steamvr was laggy when moving head side to side, this is smooth as butter!

1 Like