VR controller support in SU7

So, first you explain how amazing it is using VR controllers. Next you say you will only use it during cold&dark startup. Then you show a home cockpit with all physical controls so you don’t have to interact via mouse/VR controller…
I assume you gonna rip that hardware out and use the amazing VR controller support in SU7 from now on?

Let’s wait and see how well Asobo will implement the VR controller support.
I also have circa 150 buttons and switches on my H/W panels (Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Throttle, some midi panels) + 30 encoders.
It requires some muscle memory and tactile recognition to find them all while wearing VR headset. Also the buttons location is not the same as in the VR cockpit.
If Asobo will implement the VR controller support on similar convenience and reliability level like X-Plane, it will be great to have the choice between H/W buttons and VR controllers. I can only guess now that everything requiring and axis or encoder will be better suited for H/W, while buttons (e.g. FMS control unit) and switches may work conveniently with VR controller.
Soon (I hope) we will be able to try it (SU7).

@RomanDesign
Personally, I would rather implement hardware that was specially developed for Sims, e.g. PointCtrl.
It’s just perfect for VR.

Unfortunately, this remains only a dream in the FS.

It’s like you never noticed the total elimination of mouse control in all my setup…
I think you didn’t understand what I said, or maybe I didn’t explain it right… Let me try to rephrase it:

No single method is perfect (until we get hand tracking, and even then yoke and throttle is better in hardware) but the mouse is the worst of them all.

Most importantly:
Mouse < VR controllers < Real hardware controls

This is always true. But (!!!) in VR you can’t really use too many hardware controls because you have to reach for them and find them blindly. So I’m aiming for as many hardware controls as I can comfortably use in VR - meaning they are tightly concentrated in 3 areas that I can easily reach and remember the placement, and verify with a tactile feel I have the correct control at my fingertips.

“For everything else, there’s MasterCard” Err… Sorry… I mean VR controllers: FMC / complicated GPS units / touch screens dozens of less important switches (yes, mostly used in cold start etc. as main ones are covered by my hardware), all the secondary controls and so on… They are the best method tor all that, by far… I mean you touch the touch screens, not mouse over them LOL.

Pen tablet is for writing down the ATC instructions, which is plain impossible with a mouse, and possible, but cumbersome with controllers (they are not as precise in your hand as a pen).

And the mouse? GONE. Dreadful mouse would be no more. It’s banished to menus only, not while in a plane.

This is my personal view, I don’t force it on anyone. And I have a bad suspicion that Asobo will not get the rotating controls right this time, so my hardware would still be vastly better for what it covers.

1 Like

Agree, I’ve been saying this for months. I don’t understand the excitement…gloves on the other hand could be interesting!

I certainly hope they do it this way too. The alternative grab and drag approach is absolutely awful.

After reading all problems, I am sure, the best solution for MSFS is to use " voice attack". I like my hardware to have a real flight feeling. And I plan, to get this software, to give orders like a real flight captain

1 Like

Might be difficult for those of us who use Pilot2ATC which is also voice controlled.

OK, could be. But Pilot2ATC is then unnecessary.

Pilot2ATC is off-line ATC app, allowing 100% voice communication with ATC, way better than the in-sim ATC. I can’t imagine flying without Pilot 2ATC.

I am using all three voice control programs at the same time: Pilot2ATC, VoiceAttack for commands like ‘Left Wing’, ‘Drone View’ and so on and FS2Crew for all the crew coordination, pushback process, checklists, flows etc. That gives me great immersion and pilot like flying.

I’m excited for VR controllers. I’m in both camps: Using both hardware and VR controllers. You get the precision of a hardware joystick and the response of being able to reach out and adjust something without having to fumble around for a keybind or button

As much as I would like to have VTOL VR-like experience, that game was built from the ground up with VR in mind, VR was added as a community request for FS2020.

1 Like

i mean i was the game way. I didn’t understand the appeal of being able to reach out to the buttons to grab them until i was able to play something that had that (VTOL VR).

Don’t knock it until you try it I say. If it’s not for you, then it’s not for you.

I completely agree. Built-in ATC is absolutely awful. I disable it and use Pilot2ATC.

In regards to the mouse usage, if anyone is interested, I’ve been using Kensigton Expert track ball with my controller setup. It being a trackball is great since I don’t need extra real-estate for the mouse movement but most important is its mouse wheel ring. Since it is so large and clicky, and I am able to turn it without moving the mouse pointer itself, its been very very easy to turn knobs with it and being extremely precise.
I don’t think I’ll be going to the VR controllers as I’m very happy with the mouse setup.
Once we do have the hand tracking, then that would be a whole other experience.

1 Like

I’m trying to keep an open mind, but currently I cannot imagine that I would ever use VR controllers. You either have them hanging from your wrist all the time while you fly, or else you’ll have to grab them from your desk before using them. In that case I might as well grab for the mouse…

The only use of implementing these controllers I can see atm is as a stepping stone to some kind of gloves or other hand-tracking technology…

1 Like

Not at all, they don’t seem to conflict, and why would they? I have a very extensive VA pofile with the MSFS plugin. P2ATC only listens when you tap the PTT button.

I agree. And it works even if you use FS2Crew in open mic mode and at the same time voice attack. You only have to care about duplicates. For example if FS2Crew answers to your ‘Clear left side’ with ‘Clear right side’ then you shouldn’t have the same ‘dialog’ in Voice Attack of course.
And I use VoiceMeeter to make sure that the output of VoiceAttack, P2A and FS2Crew is not taken as input again. All in all it is a bit complex setup with a lot of tools involved but the result is great.

The VR controllers in MSFS are pathetic. They do not work with any aircraft I have tried so far… NOTHING like the x-plane system… years from that! Seriously disappointing.

1 Like

Sadly the mouse is broken since the game of the year update. Menu items can no longer be selected.