VR in MSFS is starting to lose its luster for me

the more i Sim, the more staggering it seems to me that people actually fly planes … :crazy_face:

This may be a silly question, but can you access the drone modes in VR? Or are you limited to cockpit view only?

New to simming, and have a g2 waiting for a pc to arrive to play this. The drone camera mode is a big part of why I want MSFS.

Thanks for the help!

Yes you can fly around in the Drone in VR.

1 Like

Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.

It takes a wide variety of people to make up this world. Do what makes you happy and ignore the rest. I also use the sim depending on how I feel - it’s all personal choice.

Have FUN in the virtual skies - I’ve been doing this since the early 80s and it’s come a LONG way. The future is looking bright.

1 Like

No…I still enjoy the VR and If you expect instant results from this software then you haven’t been around flight sims that much. The first thing you learn with flight simming is patience. People always bring up X-Plane as a comparison by saying it does this and that better. Well it’s been in development for over 25 years and in my opinion v11 was the one they finally got half way right.

I’m still amazed at what Asobo has accomplished so far and with time it will get even better. But if you think it’s all going to come together in 6 months or a year, you’ve definitely picked the wrong hobby.

If you using Nvida GPU’s then don’t use the latest drivers. I’m still on 452.06 and get good results on all my VR racing and flight sim titles with a 2070 Super. Use DDU to clear your drivers and don’t use the latest Nvidia driver. Try an older version first. And remember, patience young grasshopper…lol.

1 Like

Perhaps a better analogy is 3D television.

Whilst there were genuine issues with the hardware, they were surmountable. What killed the technology was the abysmal quality of most of the 3D content available. For every movie done well (Avatar, Hobbit, Harry Potter etc) there was literally 10 or more truly awful 3d ports of 2D movies that were little better than the fake 3D generated by your TV itself. Pirates of the Caribbean being a classic example with the characters in 3D looking like flat cardboard cut-outs moving around on screen.

I still have a large 4K fully 3D capable TV. As an experiment I might hook that up in fake 3D mode to my gaming PC with my trackIR and see what it looks like.

Avatar was the best 3D Movie I’ve ever experienced.
I’ve watched it on my Asus PG278QR with the 3D Vision Player back then.
Speaking of 3D Movies I need to see what comes on in Big Screen Beta lately.
I haven’t tried it in over a year now.

• If you don’t like opinions that differ from yours, then why are you here? A forum is a place where ideas and views are exchanged.

• Making suggestions for improvement is a good thing. Otherwise, we would all still be living in caves.

• Your sentiment regarding some of the commentary in this thread is not justified. No one here whining. I have only seen constructive and respectful posts so far from those expressing some disappointment regarding the VR experience in this sim.

1 Like

No, flat gaming is not for me no matter how good it looks. I play flight sim for the sensation of flying, not pretty computer graphics.

I do agree with the saturated feel in VR, though. That’s why I mostly fly at dawn or dusk.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tips. Just FYI - I’ve been simming since 1990. I think I have spent more time tweaking than flying with FSX. So believe me, I have lots of patience. :slight_smile: My hope is not to spend as much time tweaking in this new version, but so far it’s not looking too good.

Very happy with the settings that I found! I have a 3090 FE, 10900K i9@5GHZ and a Reverb G2. Since the World Update 3 came and after updating OpenXR from Microsoft Store I am running at 100 OXR no reprojection and 100 Render Scale in MSFS 2020 pretty much flawlessly and today I tried flying with the Extra 300 in the Key West, Fl. It was awesome especially with my motion rig. It takes time and multiple testing to find the right settings for each one of us but I am positive that :earth_americas: Update 3 was a major performance update (for me at least) :+1:t4::+1:t4:! Enjoy and happy flying :airplane:

1 Like

Thats a matter of opinion… so you cant “confirm” anything…

Everything in technology is in the end a matter of conjecture and opinion, whether it is a subjective first person report, allegedly unbiased (but in reality heavily influenced by the manufacturer ) YouTube reviews, 400 post long threads on Reddit of pointless arguments between the fans of different devices or simply sitting down and comparing the marketing blurbs that masquerade as “specifications” on manufacturers websites. :smiley:

It is unclear whether you genuinely believe the Quest 2 is a better VR experience than the Index or are just doing the internet thing of merely being picky about semantics. If you have good reasons to say the Quest 2 is better (rather than just cheaper and less demanding on your system) you need to make that more clear.

no, i dont… i just preferred the quest 2 to the index…its as simple as that :man_shrugging:

just saying that much is helpful information for people trying to decide what to buy.

i told you EXACTLY why… but apparently that wasnt good enough :man_shrugging:

so you did, sorry I missed your earlier post this has become a big thread , apologies

no bother :crossed_fingers:

I must say that after all the gloom I’ve been reading about VR in MSFS 2020, I’ve been relatively pleased. I was in the Alpha/Beta programme from December 2019 until release, and given the level of bugs and deficiencies, as well as no VR implimentation, I held off purchasing until Saturday. In the meantime I continued with X-Plane 11.
I don’t use the controllers in XP, so that not an area I’m too bothered about, having mapped all the functions to my yoke, throttle quadrant etc. Consequently, I’m more concerned about visual quality and performance.
Yes, I had serious flashing and jerking but this was resolved by opting out of the Oculus Beta. Otherwise, with a CV1 I’m getting a reasonably smooth 25 to 45 FPS in high density areas with graphics settings on High/Ultra on a GTX1080 ti/11Gb (latest NV driver, BTW).
Oddly, while in the Alpha programme, each new build offered my settings at startup as ‘High-End’, and upon installation of the current release, now ‘Low-End’. Maybe Asobo has adjusted the recommendations to CYA, but I have my settings barely different to before, with both decent 2D and 3D/VR levels.
Yes, I’m sure with some patience, VR will only get better; and, when my G2 arrives, the old CV1 screen-door will have been the only real issue for me, resolved.