VR Reverb G2 WMR Performance (Motion Reprojection CPU issues, overclocking)

Exactly right, and noticed the CPU bound issue the very first time i used anything to limit framerates almost 4 years ago. Whether its MR or vsync, or limit frames in either Nvidia tools or afterburner. Its not making the CPU work harder, its limiting it . Giving a person a false positive that you are CPU bound.

1 Like

I dont even have the WMR developer tools installed anymore. I removed it a couple weeks ago. If you have the Openxr toolkit, thats all you need. And in case someone replies “you need it” then explain why my VR is fine and working great. Lol

Check this thread out:

The Tools are useful if you want to use the Preview runtime (think of it as the Beta version).

If you don’t care about the Preview, then indeed you do not need it.

I tried all of your tricks, and even put the VR settings back to default which gave me 12000ms CPU and 18000ms GPU (ie. plenty of headroom for MR at 30 FPS). However, as smooth as it all was pegged at 30 FPS, the amount of wobbling with the slightest of movement is just ridiculous, sometimes affecting half the display image.

I really wanted this to work, but MR off, higher settings and FPS 30-40 FPS is smooth and look significantly better to me. Nonetheless, thanks for the detailed description of how to get MR working as it really helped someone I fly with a bit online, enough so that they recommended I check this out, and should help others too that don’t suffer from excessive wobble with MR running on their VR config.

I tried all of your tricks, and even put the VR settings back to default which gave me 12000ms CPU and 18000ms GPU (ie. plenty of headroom for MR at 30 FPS). However, as smooth as it all was pegged at 30 FPS, the amount of wobbling with the slightest of movement is just ridiculous, sometimes affecting half the display image.

When you say wobble, do you mean a water-ripple effect when you move your head even a tiny bit? That still happens to me after every time I use the Cntl+F2 menu for OpenXR. For some odd reason, it causes the rings (can’t remember the actual name) to “ripple” horribly when the menu is closed, but the fix for me was easy.

Without closing MSFS, Cntl+Tab out of VR. Close WMR completely. Turn the power to the G2 off (unplug an old cable or use the power button for a new one), then restart VR completely and Cntl+Tab back in again.

I have no idea why that happens, but it’s the one thing I can say is like a “wobbling” effect.

Yes. I was going to video it as I was rolling down the runway taking off in the PMDG 737 where the cockpit window edges were wobbling like, well, a wobble board. Even the FPS view was wobbling like this at times and switching to external view had the horizon like wobbling for a few seconds.

The strange thing is that when I tried MR a year ago, it did not do this extreme wobble effect but, because the sim was not as optimised as it is now, I could only achieve 22.5 FPS locked with medium/high settings. Now I can easily achieve 30+ FPS with all high settings but the wobbling, even at 30 FPS, is atrocious.

My FS computer is shut down for the evening but I will give this a try tomorrow. Thanks for giving me another option with this as I really like to get MR working properly.

I find that all one needs to do to get rid of the wobbly area that the OpenXR VR control panel leaves behind when its closed is to toggle out of VR (Cntl-Tab) and then toggle back into VR, and nothing else. This restores the VR image back to normal. Also, if you’re in VR while tuning settings in the toolkit that require a VR restart, this off-on operation is also all that is needed for a VR restart, though perhaps you already know this. Note too that when doing this VR restart, the custom render scale in “OpenXR Tools for WMR” can be changed successfully when VR mode is off.

1 Like

Just tried that and it tanks my FPS to about 0.5 FPS and does not recover, so that’s not an option unfortunately.

I might have thrown in an unitentional red herring by mentioning the FPS view with OpenXR toolkit as the wobble I am seeing is not the menu sized wobble that 1.1.2 introduced when showing then unshowing the OpenXR Toolkit FPS view. This wobble happens across the entire screen and does so regardless of whether I have shown the OpenXR Toolkit menu or not and I am running OpenXR Toolkit 1.1.4 which as fixed that particular wobble issue.

Here’s two quick videos made with my phone, so I apologise for the quality, of what I am seeing in the headset. The first shows how wobbly game menu items are with the headset completely still on a table. The second shows my take off roll in the PMDG 737 and the horrible cockpit windscreen artifacts. Surely MR shouldn’t look this bad?

2 Likes

When your framerate is below 20fps, motion reprojection is going to look awful - too much image change from one frame to the next. Best to have it at least at around 25fps. You need to start reducing MSFS setting values (especially resolution and clouds) so that you get that >25 fps in VR.

With my PC (9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070+Quest2@2100x2100), motion reprojection is only visible at canopy/windscreen/wing edges and is just a sliver of distortion.

It shouldnt no. That sounds like a driver issue honesty, this type of things is caused by poorly computed motion vectors.

There is also a crazy theory that maybe you can test. Some people claimed that switching OpenXR runtime to SteamVR (from SteamVR itself) then back to WMR solved the issue… can you try that maybe?

Great post. I don’t understand the science and mathematics of it but can confirm having avoided MR like the plague for a year I started using it after VRFlightSim Guy Steve’s insistence that it was good.

I have a high spec machine, 10850k, 32Gb ram, 3090 but I think my previous problem with MR was that I had my settings too high.

When you have a top end PC there’s a kind of dixk measuring need to play on ultra settings and to be able to still record a high FPS, and I definitely fell into that for a long time.

But I found my performance improved dramatically when I lowered my settings. I even now undervolt and slightly underclock my 3090.

The key for me for excellent MR is that I have to have enough reserve to ensure MR stays locked at 31 fps when I check with the OpenXR toolkit. If it starts becoming unable to hold 31 consistently it will lock at 22.5 and that is when the watery artifacting starts to appear.

At 31 fps the artifacting is minimal and my visuals are actually improved over having MR disabled. I now found having MR disabled pretty disgusting to use. The planes actually handle more responsively for me with MR on, especially when landing.

I set MSFS fps limit to 40 so my GPU isn’t over taxed. At 40 fps in flat screen 4k it’s not nearly as smooth an experience as I get in VR at 30 FPS MR enabled. It’s perfect in VR now, just a lovely experience.

SU9 didn’t help as for some reason CPU usage is higher, which I solved by lowering my terrain LOD from 150 in VR to 125.

But as long as you’re not resistant to lowering settings you can usually fine tune it to run really well with MR enabled.

To those having problems with watery wobble, there are two suggestions.

1. the free multi propeller mod on fkihtsim.to is essential. Prop tearing, especially when flying over water is probably the worst cause of water wobble and this mod completely eliminates that.

2). I do find that I get watery wobble in menus and loadscreens. For that reason I load up the sim in flat screen mode, set up and load my flight and only enter VR once I’m in the cockpit.
Once I finish a flight, I will exit VR again and only then go back to the game menus.

If you follow these simple tips, and ensure MR is always able to run at 31 fps you should get solid performance.

If you use the OpenXR Toolkit fps tool I find I want my main thread CPU to be around 16,000 and my GPU around 20,000. That gives me plenty of headroom.

I find when my main thread is averaging over 20,000 and my GPU over 25,000 then they will have spikes that push them to 25,000 and 28000 respectively, and my MR drops to 22.5 FPS and watery artifacts appear. Keeping some performance headroom is key.

1 Like

I actually already tried that and it didn’t make any difference (in fact Steam VR was a stuttery/jerky mess in MSFS, even without MR) . I even tried clearing environment data, uninstalling OpenXR, SteamVR, OpenXR for SteamVR and your OpenXR Toolkit and reinstalled them all and again no difference.

Before I bought my G2 last year, I tried MSFS in VR with my PSVR using SteamVR and the iVRy driver, which actually worked quite well. I’m wondering whether there is some hangover from the iVRy driver, even though it is uninstalled now.

I use DDU to do clean installs of my video drivers and am wondering if there is an equivalent for nuking previous OpenXR installs.

As mentioned earlier, even when I tone down MSFS VR settings to lower than these frame times per component, which should give heaps of headroom for 30 FPS, I am still getting those watery/wobbly artifacts despite the MR frame rate not budging from 30 FPS. Something’s not right with my setup.

Yeah Gary, that’s exactly the wobble I’m talking about. For a while I thought I had to close everything and restart MSFS and WMR, then reopen and never touch that menu because every time I did, the wobble restarted.

Lately, I’ve been restarting only WMR, maybe I’ve been getting lucky.

The only other thing that really seemed to help me was going into OpenXR and dropping the scaling by another 10. I went from 85 to 75 and it all straightened out. It can’t hurt to try.

1 Like

For me it’s what and where i fly that determine if i can get MR working. The Pelican for example is very FPS friendly but the FBWa320 is usually just too much for me to get working. I find i have to turn MR off in the a320 and lower the resolution a little to get 30ish fps. This typically lends itself well to the two different styles of flying anyway.

Low VFR requires the smooth motion but IFR cockpit focused i just have to deal without.

I thought I’d have another crack at getting the MR excessive wobble to disappear this morning. I tried:

• Default VR graphics settings
  • Community folder completely empty
  • 2nd monitor disable
  • Nvidia CP MSFS settings default (except 32 FPS lock)
  • iVRy driver uninstall confirmed
  • Processor scheduling programs/background toggle
  • Resizable bar off
  • HT disable
  • OpenXR RR lower
  • HAGS toggle (with reboot)
  • Game mode toggle
  • System BIOS optimal settings default
  • GPU undervolt/OC removed
  • DirectX shader cache delete
  • AV disabled
  • Non-essential task bar apps closed

This is in addition to what I had already tried, namely:

• OpenXR/SteamVR switch
  • Clearing VR environment data
  • Reinstalling OpenXR, SteamVR, OpenXR for SteamVR and OpenXR Toolkit

Oodles of CPU/GPU headroom for 30 FPS sync but nothing fixed it unfortunately. :frowning:

I haven’t been nearly as diligent as you, but my efforts to get a working MR have so far been unsuccessful, too. This is after following several tips and tricks in various threads.

I seem to have quite a bit of wobble, when MR actually seems to be running.

I’m running WMR, Open XR Toolkit 1.1.3, i7-10700, 32GB RAM, AMD RX 6800XT, Reverb G2 v1.

That video is the exact MR issue I have too, I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw that someone had captured it.

It’s there even in the menu when the toolkit is reporting 90fps with MR set to AUTO. At 90fps MR shouldn’t even be kicking in?

I have this week uninstalled and reinstalled all OpenXR software, the toolkit, fresh reinstall of Nvidia drivers and a fresh reinstall of the sim. Still there. Win11 all updated.

The same exact wobbling is there in IL2 using Opencomposite, so it isn’t limited solely to MSFS.

I really think this wobbling that some folks are getting with MR is the reason for the near religious divide you see on the forums and discords between those who swear by MR and those who cannot use it at all. Because the ‘usual’ artifacting on wing edges etc really isn’t that bad, it’s this wobbling shimmering that runs the whole image.

Happy to try anything or provide any more info here.

Thank you for posting those videos, this is the MR issue I have too. Also happens in IL2 if I use Opencomposite to bypass SteamVR and use OpenXR with MR either always on or auto.

1 Like

For myself, I solved this issue by setting “Off.” in the OpenXR environment and “Default” in the OpenXR toolkit. Only then does the flicker disappear, for example, of Cessna wheels against the background of grass in the exterior. Naturally, you have to use NIS to achieve the desired FPS.

That wobble seems to be a sign the CPU can’t maintain 30fps because when I lowered the scaling (and don’t touch the Shift+F2 menu) I don’t see it anymore.

Bigger planes, heavy payware airports (Toronto City Center is beautiful but I can’t run MR there at all)… these things all can load the CPU until it falls below the locked frame rate. That’s when MR goes nuts.

When these things happen, try turning off WMR, going into OpenXR, and turning off MR. Then check your FPS with the OpenXR tool. If you aren’t getting 30fps, it means something is stressing the CPU more than it was stressed when you did your settings config, so you need to back something down.

But again, if you only get the wobble after accessing the menu, your settings aren’t the problem.