WACO YMF is causing HSI problems in PA44 seminole

The WACO YMF is causing problems on the HSI of the PA44, because in the WACOS carenado-aircraft-wymf5\ModelBehaviorDefs\Carenado\Common\instrument.xml simply the CARENADO_INSTRUMENT_HSI_Tape_Template and CARENADO_INSTRUMENT_HSI_Gyro_Template are missing. And the WACO instruments.xml overrides the PA44 instruments.xml because of the loading order.

If you encounter HSI problems in the PA44 or M20R and you have the waco installed and even after the update to 1.1.0, try to replace the carenado-aircraft-wymf5\ModelBehaviorDefs\Carenado\Common\instrument.xml with the following file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FHmk-_z12vtq5ePbIeKwXvQcFvYf-UIQ/view?usp=sharing. Make a backup of the original first.
This should fix your problem.

9 Likes

Thank you.

Why add it here and not also add those sections to the M20R and the PA-44?

It looks like nearly Everything is missing from the PA44 Instruments.xml?
Do we need to update these files and fill in the missing things?
I’m imagining there’s even more missing from all three planes?

Does anyone else’s OCD get triggered by seeing Hobbs spelled HOOBS?

The added lines are from the PA44 files. The Waco comes last in the loading order, so its instrument.xml is the one the ms fs uses.

Thanks for this advice!

have you tried to rename the PA44 folder with a leading “ZZ” like “ZZ-carenado-pa44-etcetcetcetc” ?

If you do that, then most likely the waco will have problems, because its intrument.xml is not loaded.

Have you tried it or are you supposing? I’ll try later and obtain a scientific response from experimentation.

But it could be likely a mutual exclusion, yes.

I didn´t try it, but I am very positve that it is true^. But a scientific approach to this is not harming in any way^^. I like your wording a lot^^.

I did some test.

Fun fact #1
I have the problem inverted. The PA44 works fine, the WACO has the HSI stuck at N.

Fun fact #2
The XML uplinked fixes the issue.

Fun fact #3
Carenado doesn’t do any integration testing…“works on my machine” seems to be enough to submit a build. :clap:

thanks for the fix, all three working now, m20, pa44, ymf.

Ok, but there’s a whole lot more in the Waco version than the PA44 version (and equal M20R), especially around the too and from flags and the like. Should all three be equivalent?

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly. The Waco has more things going regarding the HSI - right. But in our case only one instrument.xml file will be loaded, because of the system hwo mods work and are integrated. Loading order is alphabetically. So you have to make a instrument.xml which includes all templates from all carenado aircrafts.

2 Likes

So then it sounds like the answer then is yes, it wouldn’t hurt to update all three instrument.xml’s with everything. In case I removed one, or they got reordered in content.xml for some reason.

1 Like

If that is what you ment with your question, then your are right.

1 Like

first of all: thx for that valuable information. What i dont get, is: if there is those two sections missing in the WACO YMF’s instrument.xml, why not just add those. What are all the other added pieces in your instruments.xml for?

Dont get me wrong, i really appreciate your help. i just like to understand what im actually fixing, when changing such config-files.

I’m confused by your question.

He’s not adding anything extra other than the missing bits from the other two planes. All the rest is in the instruments.xml file by default for the YMF5. By adding those two sections, the instruments.xml now works universally for all three planes.

The real question is, why are those other bits not in the other two? As it looks like they are for the inop to- from flags, etc… Or at least they were inop. From reading the code, though, it looks like those bits make the gauges work when you’re viewing the plane from the outside? I don’t know, I haven’t studied it enough. Every time I read Hoobs, I get freaked out and want to change it… :roll_eyes: :smirk:

Like FlyingsCool said, I did just add the missing Templates. All other stuff is for the Waco.

Hmm … have to compare those files again. But I am pretty sure, if i modify my original WACO instruments.xml (about 4K) by adding the two sections from the PA44 instruments.xml, you mentioned as missing (CARENADO_INSTRUMENT_HSI_Tape_Template and CARENADO_INSTRUMENT_HSI_Gyro_Template) the result is still way shorter than the file you provided on your google drive, while indeed fixing the non working HSI in the PA44.

Sorry for being confusing :slight_smile:

… and this (the missing bits) is more than just the two sections mentioned as missing in the first post? If so, that would explain my confusion. :wink:

it’s ok for the fixes and I really appreciate the community working around a developer major oversight.

but the question is, where the hell is our feedback?

are these guys working into the problem? are they aware of the problem?
do I really need to make a video to publicly expose this ridiculous problem of fixing the fix of the fix of the fix?

I did of course reported this via a ticket and the forwarded it.

1 Like