We Love VFR went GLOBAL! Region 3 released. And it has yurts!

Cases like these can be solved only by people reporting it, like you. I disable smokestacks on photogrammetry to avoid conflicts. Unfortunately, in the sim photogrammetry boundaries are usually widest than real photogrammetry area.
I have a switch for cases like these, so it will be fixed in the next update. Thanks.

2 Likes

When you come to finalise Region 1, you can now leave off the smoke stack at the old Fawley Power Station as they demolished it early this morning! :grin:

Such a shame though as it was an iconic landmark, particularly for VFR flying into and around Southampton

I will remove it before update. Same for that UK burned TV tower they demolished.

Just to notify people that might track this topic: we have a new update.

We Love VFR - Region 2 v.0.5.1
This time bug fixing. Just like MSFS.

• Totally reworked exclusions system. No longer based on exclusion rectangles, but polygons instead.
    This gives us better precision and we can pinpoint what type of data we want to remove.
  • Fixed issues on photogrammetry with chimneys and cooling towers.
  • Optimized effects
  • Reworked detection of objects close to airports.
  • Manually reviewed additional 4000 objects.
  • Added Harris Nuclear Power Plant (USA)

Grab it here » We Love VFR - Region 2 » Microsoft Flight Simulator

PS: Region 1 is coming soon. Tests started last night!

17 Likes

love your work man ! Cheers from Greece

1 Like

Greece? Awesome. The first country to get AIP data implemented in Region 1.

1 Like

Absolutely looking forward to Region 1 after seeing how much it adds to Region 2!

A little half-OT-ish… There’s not only a “TV towers of Germany” scenery, I see a whole bunch of people doing custom TV towers, power plants, radar installations one after the other, each in their own package, As if that wouldn’t be bad enough, some people make an airport and decide to include things outside of the airport boundaries (which is e.g. forbidden in the XP Scenery Gateway for obvious reasons).

As a result, I recently tried an airport and had the nearby communications tower 3 times at the same spot - a default tall polygon (default), a slightly tilted tower model (airport) and a non-tilted different tower model (TV Towers…) because they forgot, misaligned or didn’t bother to add exclusion zones.

But even if there are exclusions - if FS is a doing this like XP, each of these redundant objects will be loaded consecutively in the order of appearance in config.xml and if everything went well, only the topmost (last loaded) object will be displayed but the other objects will still linger in VRAM. Not to mention the ineffective mess in the community folder, this is the same old, same old, trouble-provoking, uncoordinated chaos. No surprise I recently saw a thread about people hitting a barrier at 1,300 add-ons in their community folder

So I wonder how this could be coordinated, and I’m asking myself if (and why) all these people are creating these things without an obvious intention to unite forces on a single VFR landmark layer, or if that just didn’t come into their mind.

WeLoveVFR would be an obvious port of call for all these things but I’m aware that this would create a lot of additional workload for you, if not open a rabbit hole with a can of worms in it. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I can’t do much about it. I can’t detect if something overlaps with my addon. As it is intended to be “low-level” just like Asobos autogen. The only thing other developers need to do is to put exclusion rectangles under their objects. That way my objects will disappear.

I don’t think they are still in memory if excluded. It’s quite apparent that sim needs to load them when exclusions are suddenly removed or added, like when you load a project in scenery editor.

Coordination in terms of exclusions would be nice. And many authors are aware of We LoveVFR and add exclusions to their add-ons. There might be situations where it doesn’t work because my data is misaligned with the real thing. In this case, it would be good to get a report about that so I can correct it.
In the case of compiling others’ work into one addon, I don’t think it’s possible and good for anyone. Regional bundles, like German TV towers? Sure, that’s great. Worldwide TV towers - nope. Just because of the amount of disk space needed. Such an add-on would be huuuuge. I share assets between my objects to reduce memory load. I also intentionally make them low poly and as simple as possible, because I want them to be like autogen on steroids. And if you want closer to real-life objects, specific to the place you fly often, then you have those great local sceneries.

2 Likes

You litteraly made my day when i first installed it and saw some cranes in the area of the old Hellinikon airport :ok_hand:

Thanks for another great update! I have a question relating to a couple add ons I intend to purchase.

First Orbx EU Central GB. I know the add on duplicates your own work in some areas. Will it mean I get double masts and radomes or will they just replace yours so I don’t need to do anything? Just wondering if I will need to remove your mod if I fly in the central UK region or they will work fine together and just display one or the other when it comes to duplicates.

The second add on, is the FranceVFR obstacles and landmarks pack. I’m not sure if you have any experience with this mod, but they claim to add 65,000 churches, and other features as well as all the masts, towers etc so sounds great for France specifically. I guess I would temporarily remove your mod to fly in France with that mod? Also, do you know if their mod does things your doesn’t, or is it a waste of money?

Thanks again for your great work!

As far as I know, yes you will have duplicates. I don’t know if they are adding masts but radomes at Menwith Hill will most likely be duplicated. Their users asked them to add exclusions, but I have no idea if they did. As much as I respect ORBX they really did a horrible job with these particular radomes.

France VFR is quite impressive. I think it’s a port from FSX. They do things I don’t. For example churches. They put some generic models in place of churches. I have a different approach and won’t do churches till we have proper SDK for autogen. I don’t know how their power lines work as till today there was no way to exclude default power towers. All in all impressive add-on that will most likely conflict with mine. I can’t tell anything about their data accuracy, as I didn’t have the opportunity to fly with it.

Thanks for the feedback. I think FranceVFR is less problematic as I assume it covers almost everything yours does, plus the other building related extras so I can just remove your add on for any France trips.

I’m not sure if Orbx cover everything yours does in central England so I might lose content uninstalling your mod for those trips. Plus I live in the South of England and don’t want to fly in the south without your mod. But their add on is significant for buildings and POIs so I need it.

What to do what to do! I guess if it’s just a couple places I can avert my eyes or look out the other window until the eye sore has passed.

I have seen their radomes on this forum. They literally look like they were made in MSPaint using a mouse!

I think ORBX has little overlap with my objects. They mostly focus on POI. I add thousands of masts and smokestacks. No idea if they add cooling towers which I will add very soon.
In the case of France VFR it’s clear. Either their add-on or mine.

1 Like

Just a heads-up. A new update for Region 1 should be available this week! Cooling towers, smoke effects, new continent, and tons of small tweaks and upgrades.

19 Likes

Just to let you know, the long-overdue update of Region 1 is available for download!

What’s new?

• Africa! Region 1 got expanded and now covers everything between -25 and 52 longitude
  • Almost 1700 manually verified cooling towers in over 100 variants generated from data to match their real-life appearance as closely as possible without creating custom models for each one of them
  • Smoke effects for chimneys and cooling towers. Now with a workaround for the “jumping effect” bug from Asobo
  • New airport detection system and hundreds of manually verified objects around airports
  • Detailed obstacle data for 22 countries (I started with countries with poor OSM coverage, there will be more)
  • Many tweaks and upgrades

Have fun exploring!

23 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Wow that got washed down in the SU7 uproar pretty quickly so I almost missed this! Thank you thank you thank you! :slight_smile:

Haha, true. I have barely any feedback on the last version, but I always treat it as a good sign. Downloads look like usual, so it means there are no glaring issues :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah currently testing it, so far no glaring issues seen or expected. :slight_smile:

Edit: Seeing this cute little home generator smoking in FS is adding a lot! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad you like it. I’ll have to check it out in sim :slight_smile: