We need [more] official help with CTD problems

Yes I agree. Under the circumstances, all efforts must be put to send whatever data we have on the CTD’s to Zendesk, so that they can find fixes.

I have already found 02 other simmers with “exactly” the same CTD issue, so that makes at least 03 people I know (from different parts of the world), who have had the same experience Pre & Post Update 5. So it’s definitely not a coincidence of some PC’s from different brands and types to “suddenly” fail without any reason!

The funny thing is that all was working perfect and then the floodgates opened of issues after Update 5!

Your rant is fully justified mate :slight_smile:

Not sure if anyone has noticed this official help article on Freezes/CTD’s on XBox. Possibly worth noting as I’d not seen a ref to this before. Dated 5 weeks ago. I’d not even heard of persistent storage before. It’s like an XBox cache (separate from FS2020 cache). May be worth a try.

Link here

Its honestly quite ludicrous that users are being relied on to manually gather crash information to report any crashes they get. There should be an inbuilt crash reporting system, that automatically collects all required information, and simply requires the user to agree to upload it, and optionally add details if they want to. There are many 3rd party solutions to this that could just be plugged in, but Windows also has its own inbuilt error reporting system, why is it not being used?
Also Xbox can report crashes automatically with no additional effort by the devs, is it enabled and are these being looked at?

1 Like

Well done. I agree totally.

Yup! Just like MTpiperpilot mentioned, right on the top of this discussion…I was advised by Zendesk what I’ve already tried, and some of the stuff does require above basic knowledge to change things on the PC.

I’m not confident in fiddling with my PC which is fine with all other applications / games etc, etc and was also great befote Update 5. I am not qualified in the field. Last time while deleting the Registry I almost screwed up my system.

This is more like a “Do it yourself” kit with instructions that “might” work, but at your own risk!!

CTD’s haven’t really been a problem for me now for some time, until today. I decided to look at reinstalling the A320NX FBW (developer version) to see if the issues that existed with the SU5 update for this aircraft was fixed. I deleted the old version of this aircraft (as every time I clicked Fly and the flight loaded my aircraft was invisible…nothing there. I was able to upload the new version from their website and my first flight (about 3.5 hours Adelaide to Perth) had no issues at all. I landed in Perth and as I have pulled into the gate and commenced my shut down sequence…Bang…CTD.

It didn’t bother me to much as I got a whole flight in. Tried again with a new flight (this one KL to Singapore and as I started adding details into the FMU I got another CTD. Looks like this aircraft is not happening in the MSFS world…niot for me anyway,

1 Like

I also opened a Zendesk ticket some time ago, because since Sim Update 5 every flight ends with a CTD.

I was then asked two times to create an export of my complete system information using msinfo32
and send it to Zendesk, which I did.

This seemed to be the best way to find similarities among computers that are repeatedly affected by
CTD and to give Asobo a really in-depth insight into my computer.

Unfortunately, when Zendesk Support did the final analysis of the msinfo32 data, it came out that there
are no faulting errors for Microsoft Flight Simulator in this MSinfo report.

So if this super detailed system report doesn’t help, then I’m a bit disillusioned for the future in terms of finding a final solution.

I thought I updated this thread - but for me - the vast majority of my CTD’s were solved by removing the Capture One 20 codec!

This thread is still valid though. There’s still work to be done.

1 Like

Huuuuuge +1

I’m working as a QA for 11 years now, I had to deal with end user bug tickets. In a nutshell: they are terrible. Sometimes even a fellow QA member’s bug ticket can be terrible, but that is the company’s issue.

I tried my best and collected as much information as possible, narrowed down all the circumstances and possible causes to one thing (oh my god those hours changing one variable at a time, starting the sim, waiting for the CTD, moving to the next item on the checklist, starting the sim again, and so on) and then filed a zendesk ticket. But I can imagine, how many “it doesn’t work, fix it” tickets they get. A log for a QA is much more helpful. It eliminates the human error factor in collecting data. Even I can forget something or I think that the information is not relevant, because I’m not working on this sim or Windows development.

On the other hand you can’t collect ALL data from an end user automatically, it violates privacy. And if you can’t collect all data, you won’t know, what else they are running in the background, so you get the same result as a “manual” bug ticket with missing details. The user has to know what data is collected from them and in these 0xc0000005 cases as a QA/dev you need all other running apps, services, etc. So it’s not easy at all.

Yeah and whatever change they made affected Xbox too. It’s like this was supposed to be heavily optimized to run on Xbox…. Yet in all honesty it runs like garbage on most people’s Xbox. Everything is fine except the CTDs

While in principle I would agree…

• A) that providing actionable crash logs with reproducible instructions is not easy (and time consuming)
  • B) and that collecting vast amounts of data is a privacy issue

I would disagree that for (B) to be useful it needs to include everything about every aspect of the system.

Every CTD event is primerily a bug of the sim itself. Even if the crash happens in the GPU driver or a WASM sandbox … the stack traces of the sim will show some “fingerprint” which can point to the location where things went wrong (null pointers etc.)

So if Asobo would give users the “op-in” chance to say … “yes, I consent” … take my crash dumps … and in addition I would even allow you to get a log of additional state (history) of my sim interactions if that will help to narrow down which parts of the sim are causing the trouble.

From the nature of the bugs (and there are tons of really trivial ones that have not been fixed in 12 month) and crashes that I have seen as a user … and this little goose is still amazed, daily, about the sims impressive sightseeing experience … I would dare to make the following (somewhat educated) guess:

• the devs are overwhelmed
  • too many new features … to much time pressure
  • too many people who break stuff … too few people who can really fix it (and they are most likely busy to implement the new features)

Sadly this has become a general problem of the computer industry … move fast, break things … as they say. This attitude is sadly everywhere … and I personally do not like this trend. I hope that Asobo will find a way.

… back to flying … this little goose needs to continue its trip around Cambodia … such an interesting country … and thank you Asobo for making this possible

1 Like

I apologize for my late reply, but I was only able to get back to the MSFS issue a few days ago. And in fact I still found a forgotten version of Capture One 20 on my computer that I no longer have in use. So I uninstalled the complete Capture One software right away - and indeed no more CTD occurred since then :blush:

So for now I am very happy to be able to use MSFS again. But of course Asobo needs to investigate why this problem occurs in connection with Capture One - and above all, they should forward this tip (at least as a workaround) to Zendesk. Exactly to be able to analyze such correlations, I sent Zendesk my msinfo32 data twice. But Zendesk was not able to help me.

So thanks again to the detectives here in the forum, who have recognized this correlation. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hello,

To date, the product delivered by Asobo is purely and simply shameful.
We have been sold something called a “simulator”, do we have a simulator? No, it hardly looks like an arcade game.
The flight models are more than approximate and even in what is delivered there is a staggering amount of bugs that make no sense.
Before you can even get a plane off the ground, the program can crash in a variety of ways, leaving us helpless in front of our screen, even though everyone will have taken care to have a clean and up-to-date system for their various devices drivers.
Many of us play other, much more complex and rich games without the slightest bug or latency.
As it is, Flight Simulator 2020 is not worth the 120€ it cost me, Asobo will deliver gigabytes and gygabytes of updates from different countries, but as long as the program remains so unstable, there is no point, I have no pleasure in launching myself into a flight that can stop at any moment because the program has decided that it no longer wants to respond to commands.

Sincerely,

1 Like

I’ve had 5 game breaking issues that have led me to uninstall the game and play something else. Steam VR CTD as a failed Christmas 2020 present to myself and then VR Switching failure bug, SDK CTD which lead me to abandon making scenery, a hacked install (Russian Cyrillic) now a blank screen CTD which wont even load the menu.

To continuously run into product breaking issues on £100+ software that render the product entirely inoperable with no fixes or solutions is a multitude of failure at the highest levels of management, which from a Microsoft based company is not so much incompetence as it is deliberate inaction.

What’s left to do but vote with my time and wallet?

2 Likes

Germany Bush Flight, 2nd leg this afternoon allowed me a wonderful look at a part of Northern Germany. Sadly, on final approach at the destination airport, I lowered the landing gear and … gotcha… black screen. MSFS was no longer running. Laptop and other programs still just fine.

Perhaps I hadn’t seen Shatner’s Twilight Zone gremlin on the wing.

Yes another Xbox user with similar issues. I have a feeling most of the CTDs relate to the DLC not being tested properly in Xbox conditions. Also as the OP stated we need guidance we need acknowledgment that there are significant issues with the Xbox platform and CTD issue and that it’s being properly investigated.

Developers are telling me Microsoft do not give them a proper Xbox platform to test their content for release and are blaming them. Microsoft seem to say it’s down to the developers.

Either way I have spent hundreds of pounds on DLC and a lot of it is not useable due to resulting in CTDs

CTD again on Xbox series x. Problem not going away. Everyday now. After 1hr flight, on final. This is just bad. Very disapointed.

I cant even manage longer than 18 mins before ctd. And when i am flying, the stuttering makes it unplayable anyway. I had so much hope for this sim, instead its turned into a huge disappointment. Thankfully i havent spent any money on this as i was waiting for issues to be resolved. That doesn’t like anytime soon so obviously i have just given up now, will check forums in a few months. It’s nothing short of embarrassing by Microsoft and Asobo to treat xbox users with such disregard.

1 Like

Same situation here with constant CTD`s now. Event viewer reports a CoherentGTcore.dll fault.
I wonder if any of the devs care to look at these posts. Most of us know what we doing and we tried all proposed fixes listed so far with no success.

1 Like