What and how does RAM impact performance in the sim_

AND to run OTHER Apps at the same time on your PC, without causing MSFS to become starved of ram.

after su5 is no matter, but 7 september it will back i hope, and yes 32 is good enough, but 64 i guess better :slight_smile:

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I have 32GB in my laptop and the sim never uses more than 16GB of it (usually closer to 14GB), so I’m really not sure you would see a benefit with more than 32GB.
Windows flies with multitasking with so much headroom to run in despite FS running simultaneously (I’m GPU bound not CPU bound). I think from what others report VRAM use is limited /restricted by the sim beyond a certain point too, although mine is usually between 40-80% of the 4GB VRAM in use at any given time.
Like someone has pointed out previously a lot of RAM and VRAM memory use/utilisation has been shrunk to let FS run on XBox and was implemented post SU5 (FS XBox release)

They change the way the sim uses ram after SU5.Before my sim would use 15-20gb.

YES !! and prior to SU5, many rushed out and upgraded to get 32GB of ram, because as what was needed, and now, MSFS has been squeezed into sub 16 GB.

I get it – Xbox has limited RAM, and it was a Great Achievement to compress MSFS to run in the X-BOX’s Fixed limited ram, BUT – why can’t MSFS running on a PC with 32GB+ of ram, make use of some of that ram, and run better than it would on sub 16GB ??

It does seem, that just like Pilots, MSFS has the attitude, “NO X-BOX left behind” , and every MSFS system is handicapped, so that it is a FAIR race with X_box, so X-Box will “NOT BE LEFT BEHIND” – because nobody want to buy a Looser, and MS wants to sell X-Boxes, and capture the Monopoly MS-Market, that currently is getting very much “LEFT BEHIND”.

I have to admit being confused as to why it can’t run to fully utilise multiple specs of hardware. Must be to do with trying to make the core content common and not having to have multiple versions of FS to maintain, but I still don’t know why it can’t expand into more RAM/VRAM if required. Unfortunately I have nowhere to crank my graphics card to to see if anything changes. Windows works well though in 32GB RAM, I can quite happily and smoothly run FS, Firefox (with many open tabs), Photoshop (with multiple files open) etc and smoothly switch between them all.

2 Likes