What do you do on a long flight?

I also love the citation, a great plane and modern cockpit.

Thanks…I didn’t know that.

I saw it by mistake myself :joy:

Actually a matter of a proper flight plan, aviation knowledge, and what aircraft you fly. With this Cessna jet… If you do all the checkups and controls properly… set up the autopilot correctly… and/or trim things (“handoff flight”) you can go Netflix, or even go sleep. No problem when everything is set up right. It’s not my kind of flight, let me be clear… but lots of simmers that do passenger aircraft… they go to sleep and check MSFS the next morning (and if crashed, some complain here :grin: )

1 Like

My longest flight was Dublin-Budapest, and the way back to Dublin. I spent like 7or 8 hours playing this sim. I was happy because I love flying, doesn’t matter if it is long or short flight.

On long flight I usually look at my destination airport diagram and see the directions of runways, taxiways, gates etc. Then I grab some water. Monitoring the flight situation and look at awesome views on 25000 feet.

This sim has awesome graphic and landscape.

Cheers

Like quite a few others here have said, I don’t tend to do long flights. My longest are probably 1 and a half hours. A lot though tend to be around the 50 minute mark.
During this time though I like to just take in the surroundings. I always have live time and live weather so even if I do the same trip twice it never looks the same.

I also do a lot of 1 to 2 hour flights. I play in a band so I love doing a 9 to 10 hr flight and time them so I’m close to landing when I get home! This is what I look like when I get home so I can’t sleep anyway!
:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

1 Like

Browse forums such as these, play with my bird, eat food, watch you tube ect…

Haha I do exactly the same. Now I`m in Dubai and deciding to go east to India or come back to the Mediterranean. I usually do 1,30h flights on VR. Last one from Jeddah to Dubai was a bit longer, about 2,30h but crossing the arabian desert was an experience.

Cheers
Carlos

1 Like

Fly the whole thing. Every time.
(Sure, sometimes I might allow myself to sneak in some sim rate increase…about x4 is safe…x8 is close to game breaking.)

But I’ve never “skipped to the landing” - hell, I didn’t even know that was a thing until you posted it. Am not sure OnAir would play nice with that.

While long flights are taking place?..well…there are the forums… :smiley:

1 Like

Just watching some anime and enjoying the vieewss!! Can sit all day n a planee

1 Like

Much like a real-world pilot, I sleep.

3 Likes

I usually keep my flights under 2:30 and when it’s not in VR i fire up Jumpseat radio and tune in to local stations (where I’m flying ‘virtually’), turn on my (real world) tablet and when I spot a nice area I do some research about the places I’m flying over/from/to.

For the last month or so I’ve been virtually flying over all sorts of places in South America, learned a bunch of things I didn’t know about different countries, marginally improved my Spanish and enjoyed some good music - time I find well spent and very enjoyable.

2 Likes

That is what “multitasking” on a PC is for. I follow the plane up to cruise altitude (which is always at least 3000 feet above any mountain range will be during that flight) doing what is necessary in the cockpit during ascent. Then I tune into Netflex, news,wx forecaste for tomorrow, walk the dog, eat my meals, while constantly checking my flights progress. I am always tuned in to the sim for any mountain ranges, weather and other special events.

The reason why the 737, a320 and regional airliners are so popular in sims is that they mostly operate shorter routes.

But if you go full realism (FBW a320 is a good plane for this) then you would do all sorts of checks, retrieve weather data, checkin with ATC and plan your descent.

I personally only do a 2,5+ hour flight a few times a year. Most i do are around 1,5 hours.

I rarely fly (simulate) a real world flight thats 4-6 hours long, i find it an unique experience and immersive, but i dont sit behind the screen all the time, ill usually hand it off to my FO mr. A. P. :smile: and make sure to periodically run off a checklist

But i tend to only do that very rarily, as i find t/o, planning des/app and approach the best part of flying airliners.

Edit: i find stuff like vatsim also keeps you busy and more engaged.

Well I dont do long haul in MSFS for various reasons. But I am a long hauler. It depends on the plane. I do my long hauls in another sim, it really depends on the plane. I did EGLL-KJFK in the Concorde (study Level) and you kind of need to be around but its only 3 hours.

This coming weekend I will be doing an A350-900 EGLL - TBPB which is about 9 hours, but I have to add an hour planning, set up the plane etc. So once I have taken off either VATSIM or PILOT2ATC depends on what I am doing etc, I will go and do other things, If I am at home I will check my flight, do some Boxing or FitXR VR, chores, go out with my Partner if she isn’t busy or doing her thing… I have Navigraph on my phone so I can keep track of my flight… I also sometimes sit for the entire flight if the weather is bad on the planning.

Having a really good study level plane adds a lot more immersion, for example the Concorde you have to move the fuel around etc, it all just depends!

I have the A321 Toliss with the NEO Add-on (X-Plane) which comes with the XLR neo variant, I have flown this LFPG, KJFK.

A lot of real airline carriers are going to be using the XLR for thinner transatlantic flights in the future.

I usually run history documentaries in the background, usually on subjects that was never talked about that much from back when I used to be in high school mainly on stuff like about the fur traders

Yep,I do a lot of long haul flights.Anywhere between 4 hrs and 25 plus hours with several airports between take off and landing at final destination.Currently doing Humberside in England back to home base in Sydney,Australia via South America…I’ll prep.Take off.Watch some youtube.Netflix,etc check progress.Go cook as well.I do lots of short sight seeing trips to to explore.It’s just whatever takes your fancy at the time.Cheers.I do have 3 monitors as well.One for flight.One for Little Navmap/GPS and one for watching stuff and browsing.

1 Like

I put youtube on a second monitor for long flights.

3 Likes