When can we expect sim update 11 beta?

My personal wishes to fix in the next big update are rain drops that are flowing downwards on the cockpit windshield instead of upwards while the airplane is parked :slight_smile:
And less CTD (these were introduced with SU10 for the first time on my end here, before the flight sim ran rocksolid.)

3 Likes

i agree i cannot see them anymore

Iā€™ve tried to request the same thing, with this post, but Iā€™ve noticed that in the Dev Q&A videos, the Asobo team tend to spend more time on new features. I really hope they choose to spend some time on bringing the core up to the same level so there is consistency of quality - right now there is a wide gap between things that work well, and things that ā€¦ donā€™t.

2 Likes

Iā€™m hoping AMDā€™s FSR 2.0 is finally implemented that will benefit both AMD and Nvidia GPUs unlike Nvidiaā€™s DLSS which only enhances their cards. From what Iā€™ve read here many are unhappy with DLSS.

For these reasons I still canā€™t understand why FSR 2.0 wasnā€™t implemented firstā€¦fingers crossed.

Well, define ā€œunhappyā€ - most people likely thought that DLSS will change everything on their 3070 to 3090ti cards while the GPU does not cause their low framerates.

On MSFS often the CPU performance is the real bottleneck, so neither FSR nor DLSS will increase FPS much on such systems. Better memory management and multithreating across all CPU cores will provide most benefit.

When the CPU is also powerfull, what is then the problem?

1 Like

Agreed. So many folks believe itā€™s a GPU issue when in reality the sim is so badly optimized it will bring the best CPU to itā€™s knees.

So now we have this Nvidia/MSFS relationship/marketing pushing this kind of idea that GPU is what is needed.

I would take those DLSS 3.0 performances with a grain of salt. NVIDIA seem to be kind of shady lately with their benchmark numbers and who knows really how MSFS will perform.

Iā€™m already on a 12900K cpu and 3090Ti and will definitely look to see what 13900K or AMD X3D will do with MSFS instead of looking at 4090.

2 Likes

Distribution of tasks across different threads/cores. MSFS is build upon FSX which did not have any multicore support (back in 2006).

MSFS has some level of utilizing more than one core but does not use every core available so the single cores performance counts most in this case.

If youā€™ve got a 16 core AMD CPU with 3.5 GHz per core your performance may be worse than on a 8 core processor with 5 GHz per core, nuff said (cache and other aspects also play a role - this example is simplified).

I would not say itā€™s badly optimized - the optimization is actually pretty good if you take the sheer amount of data into account which needs to be shifted from the .net to the temp folder, to the RAM and to the VRAM. If youā€™d modify FSX in such a way without optimization it would simply instantly die and take your computer into some blue screen situation :slight_smile:

Honestly I did not expect the Sim to run this good on my end 2018ā€™s hardware after seeing the announcement trailer :wink: anyway further optimization is welcome ofc. and for sure planned maybe there are still some ways to shift specific tasks directly to the GPU which are currently also handled by the CPU?

I think about Nvidia PhysiX for handling water for example :slight_smile:

I must be in the minority. DLSS has actually made this sim more playable on my setup maybe because Iā€™m on a 2000series card already being gpu limited with TAA. 20+fps boost switching to DLSS.
Only thing I dont like about ATM is the ghosting on the PFD.
Iā€™m hoping FSR provides the same performance uplift.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand why you say that MSFS donā€™t use multi cores.
My processor has his workload spread over all his 6 cores while running MSFS.
Most of the time all cores are between 70% and 90% when i fly.
Maybe MSFS is not optimised to use all cores on high end processors with more then 8 cores.
Iā€™am pleased with the performance so far because the sim is smoothly running between 40 and 60 fps at the moment. (triple monitor 5760x1080).

2 Likes

Itā€™s not that the sim is not ā€œoptimisedā€ (a term some on here use as a catchall), to use all available cores, itā€™s that it isnā€™t written to used them in the first place - just like almost all other games. There are only so many things you can parallelise

Well, my 3090Ti sits around 25% usage while my 12900k sits around 30% usage while still being CPU limited. Yes, that is poorly optimized. 16 cores, and MSFS only uses 1-2 to itā€™s max. Thatā€™s poor optimization if you ask me!!

There Are so many comments like this. It is not like you can tell one core to do weather, one to do thermals, one to do controller inputs, one to calculate flight models and cfd.

Everything needs to happens at the exact correct time, not 5 or 10 ms later. Everything needs to be controlled by a main thread that acts like the conductor.

2 Likes

And thatā€™s not what I said :wink:

Maybe I should have put the word ā€œequallyā€ in to make the point more clear.

Honestly there are only few programs around which utilize more than 4 cores completely.

Anyway this discussion is in general offtopic here :wink:

Officially pushed back to SU12.

1 Like