Why are posts being moved?

World is where Scenery goes.

2 Likes

This explains why many of my threads had edits by a mod, which was leaving me quite confused because there was no indication as to what was edited (unlike editing the body of a post, where changes are highlighted). I’m guessing the edits were the relocations.

I never even saw that announcement thread. I typically just come on to view what I’m watching and occasionally check the everything list. I have no qualms not being one of the more active users that were tapped to provide feedback prior to the changes, but a simple email to all users or banner notice on the site would have been nice. That would have caught members like me (and perhaps many others, by the sounds of it in this thread) that aren’t active enough to catch site announcements that aren’t front and center.

I don’t currently have an opinion about where things are now. That may change in the future, but like I said above, I typically don’t browse by sub-forum anyway.

1 Like

When we move topics, it does show in the edit history. It’s at the top left in the history window.

1 Like

idk man. ANC is not so much about aircraft themselves but aircraft systems. I find it a little odd to have the aircraft mega-threads in that sub-forum but there’s also threads about communication and navigation. But the idea is not about the aircraft themselves as a sim addon, but a system within a particular airframe

yeah considering they just did this yesterday, it’s probably gonna take some time for them to get everything reorganized to a more appropriate sub-forum

Otherwise, this whole thread is a pretty random hill to die on

1 Like

Here is an example of what I’m seeing. There isn’t an obvious indicating what the change was. Maybe it’s more clear on the desktop version of the site?

1 Like

Why not use the Aircraft subcategory? That’s for Aircraft #gd-commsupport:aircraft

3 Likes

Look under the title, an arrow pointing right to show a move to Tech Talk.

That particular move was from this forum reorganization. Normally there’d be a from subcategory then the arrow to the moved into subcategory if a moderator or yourself do a topic move.

1 Like

Ok, now you’re confusing me. That was exactly my complaint. They addressed it. They added the Aircraft sub-category back in. I’m happy.

@Hester40MT As far as tech-talk for questions about hardware… ouch… that’s a lot of subjects being discussed in that forum, and not a whole lot specifically about hardware. Hopefully people are using tags when they create threads. Thank goodness you kept the VR forum. Thank you

2 Likes

This can be a problem as it has in the past. Moderators will add them as we see them missing. However, the forum software has the ability to require tags and require multiple tags. It’s implemented in some categories. This will be expanded to others.

Also, if a tag isn’t there, DM @moderators with your suggestion.

2 Likes

I get that now, but your average user isn’t going to notice that. I didn’t even catch it until you pointed it out. Part of the reason was because it had been so long that I didn’t remember the original forum I posted in, and very well could have been in a tech talk forum. Not to mention how easily missed a little arrow is, and that other edits are marked with the pencil icon.

Just a confusing way of doing things.

1 Like

When the move wasn’t from a forum reorganization, it does show the original category you posted in. And I do think the desktop might display this better.

1 Like

then couldn’t it go either way then? What kinds of issues would constitute the ANC category vs the aircraft category?

What it appears to me is forum soup to consolidate discussions about avionics, sim physics, aircraft systems, atc etc etc etc. There’s a lot (currently) that could easily go into the aforementioned Aircraft category category as well. Specifically, why is the PMDG 737 Discussion superthread with 8600 replies and replies to replies in the ANC category but not Aircraft?

Correct me if i’m wrong, I’m reading it as the ANC category me getting help with my plane or understanding best practices for x procedure or understand why the game simulates a particular navigation system the way it does. If i wanted to give my two cents about why some $60 virtual plane i bought doesn’t live up to the real thing, it would go into aircraft

1 Like

Yes. That’s exactly what I said. They had initially removed the aircraft sub category and mushed it all in here. They also initially put my scenery threads in here interestingly enough. But fixed that later and moved them to World where they belong. They are still working on moving the aircraft sub category threads back to where they belong. Probably done for the day.

I understand. The reorganization isn’t complete and feedback is welcomed.

Some threads haven’t been moved yet. This reorganization as stated in the announcement will last until Friday. Some topics may be missed but hopefully with the community and moderators we can move.

3 Likes

yeah. i was just trying to clarify my statement/confusion. It seems we are on the same page and thinking it will just take time to sort it all out.

It just didn’t bother me in the first place so much. Even after being pointed out, i’m not worried about it

I think when those that make the changes keep defending annd continue doing it there is a serious case of doubling down and tone deafness to what users want. this goes beyond forum reorganizations

+1 It is a terrible idea to mix everything, the previous organization was perfect, I loved having a section exclusively for new threads of planes being released.

3 Likes

I used to post the odd comment but now they just get moved somewhere else and I can’t even find them.
So I have stopped posting [other than this one] This forum seems a confusing mess to me.
Not a complaint, just an observation.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.