Why do some have CTDs and Others do not?

Eek! That’s scary. I wouldn’t want to be doing that.

That’s interesting, however, that you fixed CTD’s from doing that. I wonder what the issue is there that would cause a CTD? (You shouldn’t have to do that.)

We’ve spoken about this. And I’ve been suspecting this was the issue for months now and posted about it multiple times. Based on the error codes, everything points to error handling (or lack thereof) in the code causing many of the these issues that lead to CTD. The source of the data is secondary. The issue seems to be the lack of corrective code when the software received an invalid or null data set and tried to process it anyway.

But somehow, no matter how much actual evidence or experience we can bring, the conversation always devolves into people believing that the problems are community mods, external tools / peripherals, computer config, hardware issues, etc.

I was hoping that when people started reporting the same crash issues on Xbox that the community would take notice. Now instead we have people telling these Xbox players that their consoles are defective… :confused:

6 Likes

I know… But at least it’s my workaround until they fix it. Otherwise, the simulator becomes unstable, especially if I use the A32NX mod.

I have a dedicated Gaming PC ( well laptop) … and I run it wide open … no antivirus running , minimal other processes running … EXPOSED to the world.

So, maybe one day I get hacked, or catch a Virus !!

The whole laptop gets Image backed up every night, with multiple backups going back Months, so if anything goes wrong, a 1 hour restore and all is back to normal.

No way am I as smart as the Hackers out there, but I am smart enough to make sure I am fully backed up, so their actions will have little effect on me.

No bank account and minimal passwords stored on the laptop as well !!

I also change my IP more often than I change my underwear !!

Interesting, it would indicate your CTD’s were related to server behaviour or IP’s (??)

btw for some issues, no need to switch Firewall off completely. You can also allow certain things in Firewall. There’s a tip for another game about IP6, don’t know if that is applicable to your situation… https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/j0dzw4/potential_latency_lag_fix_for_pc/

1 Like

Yes, but the CODE example , is NOTHING to do with Power Supplies or Fans …

I really do not need the meaning of my posts “Edited” !!

NO, the IP changes are to make me a moving target to Hackers !!!
Nothing to do with CTDs

Although, maybe there are hackers out there, hacking into PCs running MSFS, and evoking CTDs ?

If so, they also seem to be getting into X-Boxes as well !!!

It doesn’t mean there’s something about your system that was teetering on the edge. It could very well have been caused by a scenery mod that was trying to load at the moment you pressed the button.

But, if you can repeatedly get the crash by pressing the button after you removed all the other mods you just added, then, you’ve narrowed it down to the Longitude mod and possibly an interaction with something else you had loaded previously.

Then you have to remove everything else and see if you can repeat the crash. If you can, it’s a problem with the Longitude mod. If you can’t then there’s an interaction with one of your other mods, at which point you have to load them in one at a time and see when it happens. Usually in that situation, you can think logically about which mod would be an issue rather than having to go through every single mod (i.e. you could search for mods that share packages the Longitude mod uses, like, perhaps the G1000 or G3000 mod).

I could go on about what could be causing such a CTD. But, just because others aren’t reporting an issue, doesn’t mean necessarily anything. Everyone’s choices of mods and setup and hardware are different. But, there are some pretty common reasons for CTD’s.

A lot of changes were made to aircraft code that are now required that didn’t used to be, and, I’m pretty sure they didn’t necessarily add the error code to check for those ommissions.

The most common is people who have the same name for an object in the same path that then confuses the VFS.

For instance, always check your scenery for scenery\mycompany\modellib.bgl or scenery\modellib.bgl, and rename and update the layout.json. Also, always make sure everything in the layout.json actually exists if you find yourself getting consistent CTD’s due to a mod.

To add complexity and brainstorm here, a faulty PSU, or ram oc, cpu oc, GPU oc, etc can lead to an invalid value write or read in an address (like in ptr[rdi+10h]), and lead to the same problem.

Just my heavy 2cc :wink:

3 Likes

lol: Heavy 2cc for 22C :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, but what are the chances that that random Invalid value is 0 or -1 so often, for so many people.

I would have a better chance of winning the State Lottery, every week, for a year !!

1 Like

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you.

I just didn’t understand the entirely unnecessary comment then about those crashes having nothing to do with overheated PSU’s, since people are clearly getting CTD’s due to overheated PSU’s, too.

1 Like

There are definitely CTD scenarios that are associated with hardware. There are more variables than we can possibly think of that can affect the stability of either software or even the system as a whole. Some issues are due to inadequate or low grade hardware. Power supplies can definitely be an issue. Many people try to build their system on a budget and often cheap out on power since it’s that “invisible component”.

And not to put people down, but there are a lot of folks that spend time in their BIOS or other utilities trying to tweak clock speeds, memory timings, etc based on watching a YouTube video when they have no idea what they’re doing. That can potentially cause a lot of issues with MSFS. Other games may run fine, but MSFS pushes system resources in a way other applications don’t. Overclocking of any component shouldn’t be done by someone who doesn’t actually understand it. And that too is the root of many issues.

In short, there are a lot of reported crashes that are likely self-inflicted in some way or another.

But to hammer the blame squarely on that being the cause of widespread CTDs when Xbox players are reporting the same type of issues PC users are is counterproductive. To me, that right there is the single, biggest line of evidence pointing to code issues as being at least a large part of the CTD issues.

3 Likes

Nobody is pegging all the blame on hardware, or any one thing in particular. There are many, many, many issues that are causing CTD’s. And anyone even thinking there’s a one size fits all solution is kidding themselves. Even if it was perfectly error corrected, people would still get CTD’s. But, lack of error correction is CLEARLY one reason, of many, for them, as you pointed out.

This is a very complex problem with a lot of variables. Hopefully we see a lot of these CTD issues fixed in WU6.

1 Like

Had my first SU5 crash yesterday. I would like to have a look at the stack trace, but where do I find it? I followed the instructions from:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015913659-How-to-report-a-bug-

which describes how to use the Event Viewer to find a crash report. However I could not find a stack trace or core dump of any sort in the Event Viewer.

As far as MODS are concerned, not that it is very meaningful but–
I have about 300 modes in my MSFS Addon Linker .

I turn only the ones I need at any particular flight.

Some of the Mods are reported to conflict with others, some try to modify the same airport, some may even be duplicates, with different version.

Just for “Kicks & Giggle” I turner them ALL on … and flew for a few days.

NOT ONE CTD !!

Does not prove anything, but worth commenting on …

So true.
A MAJOR cause of CTD’s is having multiple mods with the same path to a file of the same name.
How is it even possible this is allowed in the first place. It would be soooooo simple to catch this and warn the user up front. It blows my mind. This code has been out for a year. I hope they get their act together at some point.

And, OMG, why do addon developers continue to create mods with their files in mycompany???
sigh

It’s frustrating because we’re bombarded with problems from both sides in just the most basic development issues.

3 Likes

You have to tell Windows to create Core Dumps. By default (I believe) it is turned off… ( Not many need or want them taking up HD space !! )

2 Likes

MSFS Addon Linker has two built in tools, that look for these multiple same name files, and rename them automatically, taking are of any necessary updates to files like Manifest.json.

I often run these tools, and let it correct any duplicates … its sometimes finds them with new addons, or with addon updates.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a nice work around, for those who know about it.

It shouldn’t be needed in the first place.

Technically, the blame here lies with Asobo. They expect all developers to be total professionals fluent in xml and in using VFS’s, and in creating packages and how to organize projects.

They need to add, right up front, some basic rules in project and package creation that needs to be read by every person creating a package for MSFS. The SDK is SORELY lacking in this area of documentation regarding assets and organization and naming and how to keep a clean VFS, etc., etc… The most basic project creation documentation is totally lacking.

The builder should not allow the use of mycompany in any field for a start.