Will a CPU upgrade increase my performance?

It will be interesting to see how your CPU upgrade goes. Re streaming/recording, I don’t do it myself but it should be possible, even if it likely causes some performance hit in doing so.

My rtx3060 can record 4k 60fps without issue but that’s with a PCIe4 mobo to my PCIe4 NVMe C: drive. Otherwise you will most likely be stuck with 1440p or 1080p @ 60fps. Use OBS (free) software outputting with the NVENC, 2.64 codec for both streaming and recording. Don’t record to the drive where you keep your Community & Official files as they get accessed when you are flying.

The i7 9700F is not really good for MSFS, not to speak about VR mode with this CPU. Get a Ryzen 7 5800x3D which is around 300$ and you will be happy.

Does the new mainboard come for free?

He already has an rtx3060 gpu, a 5800X3D won’t benefit him much more than his current setup unless he intends to always play at 1080p. Otherwise the X3D needs pairing with at least a 3070, better an 80 or 90

1 Like

At least not that I am aware of that mainboards are for free.

I have a 5800x3D with a 2080 SUPER combined. You don’t need an 3xxx RTX. I do not have any bottlenecks

You did not get the point, he was asking about getting the motherboard for free because you said the CPU is about 300$… but you have to also pay for a new motherboard. And you have to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything, most probably even Windows.

But as others said, the answer is pretty simple: for VR, you need a fast GPU. His screenshot shows that he is limited by GPU, ergo changing the CPU wont help him much for his VR experience, swapping this GPU for a faster one certainly would help.

And of course you have bottlenecks, everybody does, otherwise you would get unlimited FPS…

1 Like

Don’t record to the drive where you keep your Community & Official files as they get accessed when you are flying.

Ahhh …!!! This is why it was stuttering almost to point where it was unplayable …

1 Like

Note the ‘80 Super’ that comes after your rtx20 and then go compare specs and prices with a 3060(12GB). Also what resolution and with what graphic settings do you fly with?

CPU upgraded …
Launched Geforce Experience app and the recommended settings for MSFS have changed …
check it out … I haven’t changed anything yet from when the i5 was in there …

I would never use GFExperience to set my settings, but each to his own…

1 Like

I would never use GFExperience to set my settings, but each to his own…

I keep reading that not to use gforce … Why not? I wud luv to understand the reasoning as to why not.

a CPU upgrade isn’t going to do anything for you.

After the CPU upgrade last night I’m extremally very happy to report that upgrading from an i5 to and i7 made a huge difference in VR performance on this machine. I look forward to enjoying many future hours of sim time now … I thank you all for posting your thoughts and opinions here. This confirms to me that the community here is one of the best I have ever experienced …

Hello all I have been siming since 2013 and still learning how flight sims work is a lot different from games

flight simulators rely heavily on the CPU but also on GPU to get the best performance both have to be equally good. System Memory Only affects the programs running by the computer itself nothing to do with graphics. So if you have a lot of programs running like I am you need a lot of ram i use over 20 gigs on mine and I have 64.
for VR and 1440 and 4k you need lot of VRAM GPU I would say 10 gigs is the minimum if you want to run VR and higher than 1080p.

This is what I would do when your Siming Under a full load check your cpu usage vs GPU usage if cpu is running 60 to 80% and GPU is throttling you have a CPU bottleneck.

I’ll put a brief example of what I’m doing I run xplane 11 right now I have a lot of scenery when I fly slow I get great fps but with airliners, I get half the fps and sometimes even less if I’m flying on the east coast. So I know I have a CPU bottleneck is a I7-8700k overclocking it did not help much so I just ordered an amd 7900x which is newer technology and more cores I run lot of programs on a single computer, In my opinion, is not just the speed of the CPU but the technology of it, when I install the new CPU Ill come back to msfs and my performance should improve all we can do is test it as the sims have limits.

Glad to hear it!

Hello,

Geforce Experience imo is fine to use if you are not sure and want a starting point for settings. And then tweak it further in the game. It varies but in the case of MSFS, might be better off just trying presets then tweaking from there. e.g. Ultra, High, Med etc.