Windsocks appear straight until you are a couple hundred meters away

The last flight I made, the windsock was crazy and moved without stop from the left to the right… I hope it will be fix soon.

This why I like the chimney smoke in DCS. Windsocks are malign creatures, and are out to get you.

Yeah, that should be a separate set of Zendesk tickets.

Shouldn’t complain though - Who really needs flight safety aids when we have elephants and flamingos in the sim. :wink:

3 Likes

Just another issue that is probably way down the list if it ever gets fixed.
I just have winds 225/03 anywhere in North America. So this bug makes it easy to figure out a wind direction for runways choices at least!!!

1 Like

I hope the windsock behavior is fixed together with the live weather bug.
If you set your weather manually, they tend to work correctly.
Only thing I noticed is, that when you have gusts coming from different directions, the windsock jerks around those two directions and is not moving smoothly, as you’d expect.

Can the windsocks be made to reflect wind well in advance of you arriving at the airport. Pilots select runways depending on the wind however at circuit height the sock is completely inaccurate. By the time the sock displays the actual wind direction and strength you’re on short final. Please fix.

1 Like

This thread belongs to the wishlist or bugs&issues category, so it can be voted.
Also I suggest you to file a Zendesk ticket to have it registered there as well.

Even up close, the windsock seemingly does not correctly display the wind strength (3kts per segment).

1 Like

Zendesk tickets for this this windsock problem has been filled for month ago, multiple times. It should be at the end of the todo list priority, but they know about it if they read Zendesk (but i’m not sure).

1 Like

Not sure what makes you think that this issue should be at the end of the priority list. I’m afraid you’re right in the sense it is, but not being able to chose the right runway shouldn’t be deprioritzed.

Does it help ? Windsock horizontal then set with the wind when getting closer

The Windsock seems to be working, when you are on the ground, but no matter how high the wind is, it has NO EFFECT on a stationary plane …

But it UPROOTS the Trees

1 Like

I set up some pattern work at U60 with winds 270 @ 15G22, and the windsock was blowing toward 270. I was right next to it, it’s way (e.g. 180 deg) off.

When you’re flying in the bush without weather info, I’d like to depend on the windsock. I crashed a few times because they were incorrect (tailwind, getting blown into trees etc.).

If you set the wind speed and direction in the MSFS UI, the Pointers there are pointing in the direction of the wind, not where it is coming from.

yes, it is “potentially misleading” … In that UI, it is depicting wind as it would on a weather map ?? ( In NWS / Metar mode of thinking)

It would have been a lot clearer, if they put the Pointer within a circle, so it was more like a “Control Tower Wind Indicator Rose”, and has it pointed correctly to where the wind was coming from.

Well, based on the way the airplane behaved, the windsock was incorrect, the G3X was correct.

The 270 wind settings was wind coming from 270 since taking off to the north, I needed to bank to the left to not get blown off centerline.

However, the windsock was pointing to the west, when it should have been point to the east.

Another reason that we should have the ability to make smoke. Lay a trail of smoke on your airfield overflight then watch how it moves.

1 Like

Basic Aviation Technical Knowledge that seems lacking in MSFS

(1) True North vs Magnetic North ( Incl Magvar)
(2) Wind direction definitions
(3) Flight Planning without Fantasy Arcs
(4) What a LDA approach is
(5) Tuning of an AP PID (Both Horizontal & Vertical)
(6) Garmin GPS’s - in general and how they Operate
(7) Basic UI design (In particular the thin skimpy slider bars)
(8) Aircraft Dynamic Stability - Major FUBAR
(9) Need to Destroy excessively created AI Planes
(10) ATC – in particular IFR

and the list goes on , unfortunately.

oh yes … And the difference between a Bridge & a Dam !!!

2 Likes

At first implementation it will blow the wrong way. :slight_smile: Then it will take many months (if ever) to get it fixed.

1 Like

LOL! Yeah, probably right :rofl: