Working Title CJ4 0.10.0 Released - Missed Approaches, Fixed ILS, Overhauled VNAV, and more

Maybe check your assists options, as that might be game AI trying to help.

If you’re finding that your flaps are deploying to full automatically, check you don’t have an X-Box controller plugged in. I did and the default profile for that controller seems to introduce a situation where it commands full flaps.

That’s probably it. I have an XBOX controller plugged in that I only use for the drone camera. So, I removed all the bindings for everything else. If that doesn’t solve it, I’ll be back.

Thanks for the tip!

Steve C

1 Like

We just ask the sim for the applicable navdata, so as long as the addon provides the navdata and doesn’t accidentally mask it (which many do), then it should load.

However, it’s definitely possible that addon doesn’t manage its navdata properly and isn’t getting included when the scenery is loaded.

-Matt

1 Like

Hello there,

I have been flying for a few weeks only and the cj4 mod is great, thanks a lot for it !

I have a question, but since I’m a newbie, I might be doing something completely wrong. I have been using the world map to set a flight plan, with SID, STAR and ILS. When I upload the flight plan in the FMS, there seem to be quite a lot of mismatches between the VFR map and the FMS flight plan.

I have duplicates, missing legs in the FMS compared to the VFR map, discontinuities, etc. Before I installed the mod, I didn’t have such differences between the FMS and the VFR map. Is it normal ? Am I missing something ?

Thanks.

The VFR map still uses the built in flight planning system, which has a number of inaccuracies and drops legs from the navdata a lot. The procedure data you see in our FMC should, in general (except for a small number of intercept legs and arcs) be what you see on the charts, as a result of us using our own custom flight plan manager.

We synchronize the FMC flight plan back to the sim, but there’s only so much we can do there. The discontinuities are totally normal (and appear in the same places in the real unit), and are there to protect you from sequencing that may be unexpected. Simply make it part of your flight plan flow to review them and make sure you like the way the plan is sequenced, and then you can remove them.

One exception to that is discontinuities after vectors legs. The sim plan system just drops vectors legs, but we don’t, and as such you’ll see a discontinuity after a vectors leg. The reason for this is that, by definition, vectors legs are where you will be receiving ATC vectors, and as such the FMS cannot possibly know how you will get to the next leg. Therefore you’ll always see a discontinuity after one, and it cannot be deleted. However, you can go direct to the next leg if you want, or you can delete the vectors leg if you decide you won’t really be flying it.

-Matt

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for this answer, things are a lot clearer now.

1 Like

Matt,

When discontinuities first showed up, I was a bit put off because I wasn’t used to that. But since flying a lot of high-fidelity aircraft on P3D, such as all the PMDG and FSLabs ones, you see them ALL the time - and I have actually grown to appreciate having them. Sometimes connecting all the waypoints by “force” creates REALLY sharp turns that are counterintuitive and could result in you not actually making them nicely in concert with your descent path, for instance. So, as per PMDG’s advice, I don’t delete them anymore. I fly to them and then figure out what the best course of action is - granted, there are no ATC vectors most of the time, I can usually gracefully line myself up with the next point on the flight plan, or if it doesn’t involve a lot of maneuvering, I can just execute a Direct To and resume the plan as entered. It really does provide a bit more flexibility in how you fly certain approaches and I can now see why they are there. Thanks for implementing those in CJ4.

1 Like

One more question for the pilots/developers…

If I’m departing an airport without a SID, how do I plug in my takeoff ref data since I can’t plug in a runway into the “RWY ID” section of the FMS? Unable to get vspeeds departing airports that don’t have SIDs available :slight_smile:

ATC and/or ATIS should give you a runway number. Just put that in and EXEC

A SID is not required to select a runway. You can just select the appropriate runway from the DEP/ARR page, and that should get you going.

-Matt

Has anyone tested the mod with the new update yet?

Using it right now and it’s working great.

Got it, thanks! Not sure how I missed this after using the mod for so long.

1 Like

Flew once last night, floated a bit on the landing but I wasn’t sure if was any more than normal. After reading all of the complaints on other threads I am now second guessing whether it was more floating than before the update. Anyone else notice any issues? My VNAV also didnt work for me but that might have been user error, I am still trying to get the hang of the vnav.

I had not read the forums before flying last night after the update. My VNAV worked fine. Not sure if I floated or not as I came in a bit high and dived the last 200 ft, so floated a bit to bleed speed.

Did my first landing post-update last night and floated quite a bit as well. Came in slower than usual too. IIRC, some adjustments were made to ground effect in the new update. This might be an effect of that.

VNAV worked fine for me though.

I think everyone will be floating until the next update, based on what I’m reading on other aircraft threads…

Negative. It’s easy enough to modify the aircraft to fly normally. I haven’t had a problem

I have some hardware switches I’d like to use for these switches. Is there, yet, a means to use them? E.g. FSUIPC or something?

The floating is a bug, affects all the stock aircraft - MS/Asobo have announced it as a mistake they didn’t spot and have outlined a workaround until they correct it in the next full update early next month.