World update 7... Bing map satellite upgraded from current Sputnik!

Good question. Maybe short-lived enjoyment.

1 Like

Worth noting is that last night MSFS was pausing and jittering and then I got the pop-up message that my bandwidth was too low and I was switched to off-line mode. I checked my broadband speed and it was running in excess of 500Mb/s. I also checked network speed in Task Manager with MSFS running and, yes, the download speed was miserable. So, I fired up the Google mod and the sim was back on stream and downloading data at 250-350 mb/s and the sim was smooth as silk. I suggest a lot of problems users are having with jittering and pauses is simply to do with MS servers, especially at peak times.

So uhā€¦ has anyone tried that mod they donā€™t want talked about? Reviews from flightsim.to seem to be mixed, with it having quite a few issues present.

Please see the post prior to yours. You can discuss that off-board please. Thanks.

2 Likes

I was an early adapter of the sim,not long after I realised I am flying through recent history,looking down on a familiar area I saw blackened crop fields which was a result of burning off wheat stubble.That practice was banned by the UK authorities at the end of 1992,Iā€™m not complaining so much about visual quality but surely we could have more recent dataā€¦My two centsā€¦

Bing map textures are okay if you like green.

1 Like

I would like to see in my aircraft them building the new Tsunami wall in Japan and its day to day progress and survey the damage and how the scenery has changed since 2011.

Youā€™ll be lucky,because of where I live and fly in the UK I can confirm that the latest data from Bing dates back AT THE LATEST to 1992.This was the last year that arable farmers were allowed to burn off crop stubble and yet if I fly east from EGHL the fields are littered with black burned off fieldsā€¦

The technology didnā€™t exist for at least 10 years after that. I guess if no oneā€™s enforcing the ban Farmers can be a bit traditional in their ways or perhaps there was a GM crops scare and this was to protect native stocks.

Now thereā€™s Webb Space telescope, maybe they can hire the Hubble to make some decent images ? :grin:

( talking about Webbā€¦ see below TODAY its very first image :nerd_face: every white object in the picture is the same star! The star is shown by each of the 18 main mirror segments. Coming week, Webbā€™s mirrors will be aligned, to form ONE high resolution image of the starā€¦)

1 Like

Not quite sure you you mean by technology,as for farmers ignoring the law that couldnā€™t happen in the area I referred to,too many people around to see the smoke and report it.No farmer would risk the consequences.By using an addon from flightsim.to last night,I was able to use the latest Bing maps which no longer show burnt crop fields in the same areaā€¦

Thanks for the confirmation,it would appear then that at least some of the data has come from those earlier projects namely Microsoft MapPoint and TerraServer.Pretty good considering the age of the dataā€¦

Even 30 year old satellite photos would look a million times better than these ugly 100% generic texture-tiles ā€œgeneric dark brown area: mountain / generic green flat tile: forest / grey tile: generic city, yellow: desert, and blue: waterā€ all other flight sims are using as generic textures sets stretching over the whole planet :wink:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why Othos could be made self, and lazy people could buy them as dvd.

Is it lazy not wanting to spend hours processing images? Is it lazy to use MSFS data streaming services?

I call it a sensible use of available technology. I could wash my clothes in the sink, or I could use a washing machine.

3 Likes

Iā€™m talking about those times. There it was, thanks to the raging (cough) internet speed just tedious.

Streaming couldnā€™t have worked before. Some people often forget that when they make comparisons. They should use FS offline, then, oh wonder, exactly the same boring generic images.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.