World Update 7

Bit of a pointless topic. Most people will choose the area they live and fly in, unless it is already covered, then maybe where they go on holiday etc.
My vote goes to Australia based purely on the fact I live there.

1 Like

My vote would be Australia/New Zealand. Don’t live there, never been (would love to!), just think it has many interesting flight experiences to offer and many people would want to fly there.

2 Likes

South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Botswana and Zimbabwe would be really great choices. Great scenery wise but also some really unique cityscapes such as Joburg and Cape Town.

Cape-Town-development-city

4 Likes

I would say China needs it most, just check out this leg

You’ll have to get the idea from the RL pictures I posted though, since in game it looks worse than FSX. There is no data. Next India. Both huge growth markets for gaming.

Indeed (next post) Russia badly needs improved as well. Most of Siberia is not covered. (just crude low res sat data)

We need Russia!

3 Likes

You’re not understanding how these updates work. To improve them they need to get access to better data. This means improving the terrain with better digital elevation models (DEM), photogrametry, and accurate, up to date ariel imagery. This comes from satelite and aviation data, i.e planes have to have flown over the area taking hundreds of thousands of ariel photos and recording all the data, and Asobo then need to get this (either from Bing, or licensed from third party sources).

They can’t magic this data of the air, if it’s not available in good enough quality then it’s not available.
It goes without saying that Western Europe, North America and Japan, being all first world countries will have the best data, with data getting progressively worse as you move to second and third world areas.

When they have access to good data they license it and put it in the sim. Your suggestion of selecting 20 places scattered across the world isn’t workable. How would they license such disparate bits of data? It would take far more time and effort to select individual areas of multiple countries for enhancement than to just license the whole country data and import it in.

Microsoft and Asobo are obviously well aware of what they are doing, and making the most sensible decisions based on the resources they have.

4 Likes

is there a map that shows where is covered and where is not?

2 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of aerial imagery aircraft doing laps around Sydney, Central Coast and Newcastle areas.
Hoping it has something to do with a World Update for Australia :joy::rofl:

South America

Brazil
Argentina
Paraguay
Uruguay

3 Likes

Yes! Please do it

I think you’re assuming all updates must be photogrammetry. I don’t think we’re going to see that happen for 100% of the world, but that shouldn’t mean some places get left untouched.

For example, we will almost certainly not see photogrammetry in China in the near future. They would have to focus on modeling by hand in some of these cases, unless we’re okay with only western countries having detailed visuals. The current situation of having only modeled a handful of buildings in some of the megacities around the world doesn’t add enough immersion, especially when some of these megacities are known for very uniquely-shaped buildings.

Anyway
one can wish.

1 Like

More models would be nice but without photogrammetry, better ariels and DEM that wouldn’t be enough content for a world update. I’m not sure they could just compensate by bashing out more POI’s either as it’s probably different developers (Gaya for example) modelling the POI’s than would be sorting the other aspects.

In the case of China however, and Korea for that matter I’ve been surprised that there are more requests for Chinese and Korean subtitles than pretty much any other bug fix or feature wish so presumably a lot of people must want to fly there too, which might mean we get some additions at some point.

I haven’t even see third parties do anything for China, which kind of seems at odds with the thousands of demand for Chinese localisation. Its a weird one for sure,as you’d think there might be a big market going by the wish list?

1 Like

Hoping it’s Australia/New Zealand or Canada. If not, then maybe Southeast Asia.

Would be nice to see some improvement outside of Europe.

3 Likes

Dallas Texas strongly disagrees with this post.

As an Aussie, I’d love to see an Australian + New Zealand update.

Being an xbox simmer, it would be nice to have some better scenery when it comes to cities and airports. Even if the city buildings are done through photogrammetry and not hand crafted, it would be better than nothing.

4 Likes

my favorites:

• Italy
  • Spain
9 Likes

Italy and Fiumicino Rome Airport

3 Likes

Taiwan, Hong Kong and other Eastern Asia areas

1 Like

España
Portugal
Italia