World Update - India?

India is a terribly good idea.

We are kinda of fed up with the ‘already perfect’ west.

I can imagine how amazing the flawed unfathomably big colorful Indian cities would look in PG, which still stay only a dream at the moment, unfortunately.

The dev team should focus on the more exotic places. India might still be just a dream but they could start with Latin America, at least. I’d never say no to Rio, São Paulo, Buenos Aires, and Santiago de Chile in PG.

One more note, PG the latest WUs bring us are so limited that they just cover the downtown areas when in fact data is already available there to include the whole metropolitan areas of, say, Tokyo, London, Paris… ie Google.

1 Like

Me Mumbaikar ahe!

1 Like

I am still waiting post corona times, when travel to India is possible … :cry:

1 Like

Having recently flown down into the Grand Canyon, it’s far from perfect. However miles better than the completely absent terrain at Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon in China.

However I’m scratching my head as well to the nearly 60 PG areas in California alone, most just satellite towns and suburbs,

The problem is, it’s Bing PG data, apparently quite a bit behind Google. The PG data in NA is also from 2014 at the latest, having found a couple construction sites (which were completed by 2016) and missing buildings, not even signs of construction where construction started late 2014. So yep, Google might have the data (all those places are finished and up to date on Google), MS doesn’t have it.

I also don’t really see the point of adding landmarks in places where the terrain is so bad they look pretty ridiculous the way they stand out. Same for (the few) landmarks in India as the Hoover Dam in the west. Better aerial imagery and height mesh should be the focus first. Of course capturing PG data and aerial footage goes hand in hand.

We need an army of automated drones to gather all the data!

1 Like

MS no longer invests on updating Bing Maps. They directly update MSFS map servers with newer imagery and some limited PG data at each world update.

The outcome, however, would be way better if MS kept regularly updating Bing data and let it flow into MSFS automatically, which, in turn, would result in world updates not being needed any more.

It’s an institutional decision and we have got nothing to do to change it.

Maybe we should wait for XP or P3D to start a smashing business with Google.

1 Like

Where did you read this?

1 Like

We don’t have to read it, we live it real time.

1 Like

I’ve been flying across India bit by bit for weeks now, and am up to leg #32 now. Pretty sure you are incorrect so I just wanted to know if you’d actually read it somewhere. Not only that but Bing’s imagery has been noticeably improving over time, which is consistent with Asobo’s comments in interviews about the Microsoft-Bing contract.

1 Like

You can find it out easily by looking at the current 3D cities coverage of Bing Maps app, it hasn’t been updated since the release of MSFS, the new, albeit downtown only, PG towns that we get with world updates aren’t being added to Bing Maps, i.e. Tokyo, London, Paris, Amsterdam etc.

There should be a bilateral mechanism that sync the updates upon the two platforms.

1 Like

May anybody know why India (and other countries) do not have Photogrammetry data in Google Maps/Earth?

Bing on a worldwide basis is gradually adding to its imaging of the surface. MSFS graphics will continue to get better over time as a result.

1 Like

Microsoft uses photogrammetry data from Bing, by contract with Bing, so it can’t rely on Google Maps. Individual scenery creators are free to do so but Microsoft cannot. In any event, the company has been enhancing the graphics of many regions of the world one at a time, thus far having covered North America, the UK and parts of Western Europe, and Japan.

1 Like

Yes, but even in Google Maps/Earth there is no Photogrammetry data for India. So the individual scenery creators also cannot use this path to improve the Indian landscape in MSFS unfortunately.

Wow! Cannot wait. Glad to see the Pagoda at Essel World

1 Like

On flightsim.to checkout alkee’s VABB scenery with not only the ATC tower but much much more!
VABB Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM) » Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 Like

Yes, I love this airport!

We have India gate modelled now !!!

1 Like

Hi, please model the Howrah bridge in Kolkata … that would be a great achivement :wink:

1 Like

hey guys, i was looking on google like, how many users is there on msfs from india, i just found this forum, and your talk on the realism they put in the map of india, so i would like to tell you that i want to work on the sceneries and realism for the map of india, if anyone would ready to help me, about the locations and we can see alot of the models are unrecoginsable, instead of waiting for msfs to work on it, i would definitely wants to work for the map of india to achieve that realism. i would love to hear from you guys, i am not a pilot just an artist. thanks !

Hi this response is many months later but if you are still interested, what is the exact kind of help you are looking for to build scenery? It would be great if you could model the coastal cities of India for a start the west coast offers plenty of scenery.