Would like some advice on buying a VR headset

Your opinion is welcome as you own both headsets.
I am still reluctant to buy a Reverb and dump the Quest 2.
As for the person who started this topic…must now be totally confused.

You must have had it on backwards, nothing in the VR world is night and day.

The Quest 2 is a great headset overall, especially for the price.

I only went to G2 because I found a nice deal on amazon warehouse “almost new” at 440Eu and because I’m indeed using VR 90% with Flight Simulator…

I gave the Quest 2 to my family so they can enjoy wireless Beat Saber parties and so on.

I wouldn’t go to G2 if I didn’t have a nice price + having to keep both headsets.

My advise would be:

• You plan to do only Flight Sim or other sims? go to G2 you won’t regreat
  • You want to enjoy VR with other games (HL Alyx wireless is so awesome), or non PC games? go to Quest 2, yes wireless experience is so huge

I understood your intent but perhaps a little exaggerated with the demonstration?

1 Like

Im running GTX1080 with G2 and image is good. Not full settings but still very much playable and can read instruments.

Yes you are right but I did say in my post " not as bad as this " and I get sharp results watching VR HD Demo on YouTube.
Here are two pictures that I hope are nearer the problem but in The Quest 2 there is a small area that is a bit sharper the so called sweet spot.

1 Like

Which plane are the pictures taken from? I’ll try and replicate later on?

It is the Just Flight Piper Arrow a third party product.

This is a rather uninformed view I have to say. It’s clear you’ve never tried VR on a high-end PC setup. I have a 4K 65 inch TV as a monitor and trying to play Microsoft Flight Simulator on it just feels like watching a Youtube video compared to being in VR, which is a revelatory experience. I’m currently using a Quest 2, which combined with my 3090 produces outstanding visual results, but I want the best so have just preordered the upcoming HP Vive Pro 2.

Back on topic, to the OP your current system specs won’t give you optimum results with a G2 headset, you’ll need a much better GPU to run it at its intended resolution. With your setup the Rift S would be the best choice, or a Quest 2 running at 72Hz. Of course, if you intend to upgrade your GPU at some point then you can grow into whatever headset you buy.

Reverb G2 I found to be the best for flight sims

I’ve had the cosmos, rift-s and ended up on g2, my system is rather beefy so I can afford to bump all settings up

Ryzen 5900x
Rtx 3090
64GB ram at 3600mhz

But I also know people who own the g2 with similar specs to you and the experience is still much better on the g2 over the rift-s

Regards

My opinion of VR is that it takes the sim to a new level of realism. The sim is great in 2D but incredibly realistic in VR.

For example, when turning base to final on a left pattern, the runway will be off to the left out the side window. You have to use controls to move the view around and it is unnatural when you need to quickly look at the runway, scan the instruments, check the surrounding area, and repeat.

In VR, you just move your head naturally, while in 2D you have to change the view using controls, which to me feels unnatural and takes something away from the 3D experience.

I use a G2 and had an awful experience with the original equipment, and a nightmare getting it replaced. However, right now it’s crystal clear and working perfectly for me on a high-end system.

1 Like

I get super sharp visuals in my quest2 at 120hz & now pretty fluid

VR is brill but be sure you have a decent PC to run it otherwise you may be in a world of pain

pre-ordered a vive pro 2 because I couldn’t help it

Don’t consider under any circumstances trying to enjoy msfs2020 on a little 42” monitor , VR is the way to go

10900k & 3080 all water cooled

Thats clearly untrue. Using my 3090 with Q2 and i never would go back to a monitor. Never. VR just hits the thing to heaven. Try Q2 for better sweetspot and less money rather hp. but i will recommend to upgrade your system for vr and you just go the Sim Heaven.

VR has its place for me but I still much prefer playing the sim on my lovely 32 inch 4K monitor. Far better visuals and its way easier to interact with the cockpit. Plus I love watching youtube vidoes for actually learning about each aircraft and how to cold start them and fly them, as I’m actually using them. Plus I just don’t like being cut off from the real world. I like going to make myself a cup of tea and enjoying it during a flight. There’s just so many benefits for me not flying in VR.

VR is very good fun though, no doubt about it but as an over all experience it is a work in progress.

A 3090 + the Vive Pro 2…omg I’m sure you are in for a treat

1 Like

I hope so! It still hasn’t arrived yet and it’s getting mixed reviews. Should be better than the Quest 2 though which is already amazing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.