WT CJ4 Mod vs Aerosoft CRJ550/700

I am having problems at the moment with VR problems, and CTD problems with MSFS 2020.

So that rules me out for purchase of any more add ons until I get what I already paid for worked out.

That may be me or may be MSFS, but in any event I think both the CJ4 and the CRJ are great aircraft.

The CJ4 is a sports car. The CRJ is a luxury sedan. Both have turbo fan engines that have “spool up” time, at least the ones IRL.

The CJ4 was saved by WT. Without them, the plane would be bug ridden. I flew the before and after WT on this jet and the WT is like adding color to a b&w movie.

The reviews I have read, videos I have seen of the CRJ shows a great aircraft.

Both have a few bugs to work out.
Both will fly just like any other airplane: stick & rudder, throttle and off you go.

I am hoping MSFS 2020, with its greater realism in VR, will prove to help me keep my eye/hand coordination sharp, and my flying skills current. Either of these aircraft will fit the bill.

1 Like

Hi. How does the Aerosoft CRJ hit performance… fps and stuttering etc ? P3D was pretty dodgy.

Thnx for your time.

crj 700 is great plane but is faaaar away from being study level. have a look at pmdg or fs labs.

1 Like

I’ve found the CRJ to have next to nothing for a performance hit. Aerosoft did a fantastic job on this and to me, it’s well worth the $50. Everything about this package is first rate. This doesn’t demean the WT CJ4, it’s very well done, its just apples vrs oranges. If I had to only pick one, my pick would be the CRJ.

3 Likes

So… what systems that are present on the real thing are not simulated in the Aerosoft product? I’ve seen RL CRJ pilots comment that the sim seems to replicate nearly all of the pertinent features of the actual jet.

1 Like

I have a good system but not great being 6 years old now. But I suffer absolutely no noticeable performance hit with the CRJ. I’m usually able to maintain a solid 30FPS. For my system, that’s very solid.

2 Likes

I really hope now that it is official, WT releases the CRJ update to the marketplace as a beta so Xbox can get in on it too. I’ll probably also jump on the CRJ - I’m hoping Aerosoft taking their time means it will be in good shape.

The whole “study level” speak needs to stop. Nothing in this sim will be “study level” - this requires aircraft mfg support and telemetry data off actual aircraft.

I would prefer a low, medium, high, ultra fidelity scale instead of a go/no go “study level”designation:

Low: default (many inop switches, few systems modeled)
Medium: (few inop switches, most critical systems modeled)
High: (all switches, critical and auxiliary systems modeled, may have failure modeling of critical systems)
Ultra: (High, with failure modeling of critical and auxiliary systems)

2 Likes

I fly in VR exclusively with settings that use most of my PC power to fly the default aircraft without stutters. I found no performance hit with the Aerosoft CRJ compared with the default aircraft.

I bought the CRJ because I wanted a functional aircraft in MSFS while I waited for PMDG to develop their 737. I’ve enjoyed the CRJ, but they are caught in the cycle of trying to fix bugs in their code and falling behind the changes in the sim. It’s made the user community unhappy, which has led to a lot of testy posts from the developers.

Since I have found the WT mods, especially the CJ4, I haven’t been back to the CRJ. The WT CJ4 has brought back the joy of simming that I haven’t had before in MSFS. The great visuals in VR are now finally matched by flying a plane that is functioning as expected. Knowing that WT are partnered with Asobo now means that they will have more support and influence in the upcoming sim updates, which should make them faster to update code.

At this point I would stick with the free WT CJ4 and hold off on the CRJ until they have more time to address bugs.

I get slightly better in sim performance out of the CRJ, I think because it uses WASM for displays instead of HTML I also just like it better personally.

The CJ4 I think is a bit easier to fly and it comes with the sim so no extra cost.

What “bugs” need to be addressed on the CRJ?

Good news is that WT are going to rework the Asobo 747 and 787. They also plan to bring the kind of fidelity for VNAV/RNP that they achieved with the G1000 nxi to the CJ4 - I think that their next main project. I’ve taken to calling it WTFS…

2 Likes

-IAS and Mach speed do not align at high altitude
-Heading, Speed, and Altitude knobs do not respond to push using new (SU 5) interaction system
-Weight and balance chart in EFB does not update correctly during flight
-Engaging autopilot during climb when at target airspeed and in trim causes aircraft to pitch up and lose >60 knots of speed and nearly stall

1 Like

Weird. I’ve been flying the CRJ heavily for a few weeks. Issues 2 and 4 are non-existent. Never noticed the other two, I’ll check tonight and report back.

CRJ is pretty good performance wise. It’s a great aircraft overall, the systems work well most of the time, it has been modeled beautifully, and is really a joy to fly.

1 Like

You didn’t check back … :smirk::pleading_face: