Your bandwidth is too low (February/March/April 2023)

I doubt MSFS eats all that bandwidth! Just use Task Manager to check what it’s actually using.

I started getting this recently, usually at the start of a flight. And I know its going to happen as it takes ages to spawn in, even to an area without PG. Now that I think back on it, I also noticed a few days ago that the forum mega thread on photography was taking some time to load posts with lots of images.

I ran a speed check, using the one listed above, and I got varying results for 50Mbits, up to about 190Mbits. I should be getting 600-650Mbits.

I also noticed yesterday, when downloading a 400MB airport from the MP, that it was coming down at 4Mbit/s, which is exceptionally slow.

There is a clear different between that speed there, and what the speed test shows, but what it shows to me is that a local ISP issues is triggering these messages, and that for me the speeds I am getting now are not enough to stream Bing data.

Though how true that is may be unclear due to the discrepancy between that slow download rate in the MP, and my speed test. I’d be happier if they were the same, but are an order of magnitude in difference.

My ISP is Virgin Media by the way, in the Cambs. area of the UK, just in case anyone else is having issues.

This issue is currently be looked into and feedback provided via telemetry for those in the AAU2 Beta:

If you are experiencing this issue, you may wish to contribute to this telemetry by joining the beta:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/read-first-welcome-to-the-aau-02-beta/591232

Hi, I think you are right that MSFS does not eat all. But somehow when I start the sim I see this drop in download speed instantly and when I stop the Sim it goes back to normal. When checking the Task manager is see MSFS uses max 100 to 120 mbps.
Cheers.

Thats not typical MSFS behaviour, have you tried different a speed test? If still the same IMO it’s either your system (PC or router settings) or your ISP’s bandwith management. Either way, if it affects your MSFS performance I think you should ask your provider’s support, I’m sure they will know a lot more about your connection than Asobo do.

1 Like

I had a couple of issues resolved last night, one of which was my slow broadband.

When I first ran my test, I got a hugely disappointing 1.7MBps, which is even slower than yesterday. I ran it a second, and third time, and got about 540Mbps. I tried again a few hours later, and it remained at that level so I guess I am good again.

I then gave it the ultimate test. Touch, and goes at EGLC. It worked flawlessly. No pop ups of any kind. If it can handle the London PG it can handle anything.

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide your location/Country:

France

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yep I tried different one, same behaviour. All is well till I start MSFS when dl speed drops and I get this bandwith error. Moment MSFS is stopped speed goes back to normal. I fail to see how that can be a problem of the ISP. That behaviour would then happen all the time.

That behaviour looks suspiciously like your ISP might be limiting your bandwidth while you’re using MSFS.

ISP has nothing to do with it. It happens in different countries, mainly W-Europe, so also different ISP’s. I have 1 GB cabled fiber internet, no data restrictions and it happened 6x this week in my case.

Don’t different countries have ISP’s? I’m in W.Europe on a 50Mbps connection and never have issues outside the usual update time rush.

This issue is not on the user side, it is 100% server side. I have experienced this issue for over 2 years, sometimes more frequently than other times. Flying over Europe now, and it is occurring every couple of minutes.

I don’t care what is going on with the servers.

Asobo, do not make changes automatically within my game, (stopping my Sim, and automatically turning off on-line functionality on my PC. Re: you have been switched to offline mode.

I’m a big boy, I can decide whether I want to change my settings. Pretty simple fix, really.

Last week I was having some ISP issues. Instead of getting ~550Mbps I was getting ~70-80Mbps, and sometimes lower than that.

I started getting those bandwidth messages, which I don’t normally see.

So it absolutely can happen if your bandwidth is constrained for any reason, and the fault not lie at the MS end.

2 Likes

I’m sure getting ~550Mbps will help.

However, Asobos own advertised recommended sim requirements. 50Mbps is the Ideal.

The fault is with the game/application itself (and servers). MSFS should just continue to request the data and reconnect when it can (usually reconnecting only a millisecond after you click OK on the warning (you have been switched to offline mode). As, I believe all other data/video streaming services operate.

At the very least, they should implement a master setting for this kind of warning that stops the sim. A master setting to turn off all/or relevant data warnings, allowing the sim to continue. Sure, make it default as on, but at least allow the user ultimate control.

This issue, for me, also only occurs when at approx. FL180 and above in cruise. It does not occur when flying low and slow.

I purchased MSFS on day one, and this issue did not occur once until the xbox version was released.

anyone else get this message more often in vr than in 2d?
in vr I get it almost every flight… so annoying I just got vr to work somehow acceptable and now Im back to xplane graphics because of this…

We are in June 2023 and the problem persists…
MSFS works without any Addon and the insufficient bandwidth message appears each time the installation leaves from a selected airport. What to do ? We would very much like to read Microsoft and/or Asobo on this subject which is ruining our lives.

2 Likes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Some posts removed.

A reminder about the use of mods that alter licensed data:

:small_blue_diamond:Cheats

This includes:

• In-game exploits that affect the integrity of the game experience
  • Sharing ways to alter the sims code or files
  • Discussing mods that alter licensed data

If a member is found to have participated in such actions, they will:

• Receive a formal warning; or,
  • Be banned from the forums for a length of time based on the severity of the infraction up to and including, indefinitely
1 Like