Your Computer Isn’t Fast Enough

Ok then you know
I have the same cpu.
Only a 3080. I run 100/100 lod 200 most ultra.
Reaching 25/33 fps…
I thought it could help you too but if you have it great!!

If I disable motion reprojection, I can easily tweak settings to get 30+, sometimes up to 45 FPS, depending on where I’m flying. For me, however, I’ll take motion reprojection locked in at 22.5 FPS over 45 FPS without it every day of the week! :wink:

1 Like

You also have in i7 10700K? If you’re interested in trying something, I’d like to hear your experience / opinion. In OXR tools, set your custom render scale to 60% and Motion Reprojection to auto. Leave your in-game and OXR Toolkit graphics settings the same. I know 60% sounds crazy low, but OXR Tool’s calculation of resolution is very different than those of the in-game render scale or the OXR Toolkit’s render scale. 60% custom render scale within the OXR Tools settings produces a final resolution (2444 x 2388) that’s still HIGHER than the G2’s display’s resolution (2160 x 2160). I’d be interested in hearing if you experience the same buttery smooth VR that I get, even when in most, but not all, busy scenery / photogrammetry. You will of course see wobbly props, but that is easily fixed with prop mods available on flightsim.to.

I’ve just experienced the three best VR flights I’ve ever had in MSFS. I’ve accomplished this by forgetting about my GPU and tuning MSFS for my CPU. I’m now a firm believer that the CPU is the key to smoothness; the GPU settings may then be moved up to max out the available beauty within your CPU’s limits.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good plan,how did you tune CPU for MSFS? Just curiuos.

It is more like tuning MSFS for your CPU.

Grabber’s posts in this thread are the best walkthrough I have seen. I try to do better in my own posts, but I fall short.

3 Likes

Well spotted my deliberate mistake :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: But I am still curious.

The simple answer is to first take your GPU out of the equation by lowering settings that affect GPU performance to very low / off levels. Then spawn in your favorite complex aircraft on a runway at a very big airport near a very big photogrammetry city. Open the MSFS developer tool FPS counter to monitor frame times. Let’s say you want to achieve 30 FPS. That math would be 1 second divided by 30 fames per second, or 33ms per frame. (1 / 30 = 0.033 ) You need to make sure both your CPU and GPU frame times are less than 33ms each to produce a consistent 30 frames per second. Assuming you have lowered GPU settings enough to take it out of the equation, GPU frame time should be way less than 33ms. You may then adjust settings that affect CPU performance to bring CPU frame time up to or down to your target. Once at target, start increasing settings that affect GPU performance to raise GPU frame time up to match the frame time of your CPU. Once they are close to one another, make small adjustments to each to achieve a good balance around your target frame time.

In my case, I fly in VR and really like the smoothness of motion reprojection. The lowest frame rate at which motion reprojection will lock is 22.5 FPS. 1 / 22.5 = 0.044. 44ms per frame. Motion reprojection is very CPU intensive and the biggest contributor to the workload is the OXR Tool custom render scale. If you like MR in VR, this is the primary setting to adjust to match your CPU’s performance. Forget about your GPU right now! For me, I needed to lower the OXR Tool’s custom render scale to 60%, which is still HIGHER (2444 x 2388) than my G2’s display resolution (2160 x 2160). Lowering this setting provided a CPU frame time lower than 44ms. I was then able to raise GPU settings higher to raise its frame time up to match the CPU’s. Finally, I use the OXR Toolkits FFR settings to eek even higher settings from the GPU.

1 Like

Thanks for your tips! I had thought about setting the monitors completely to a lower frequency, but never implemented it. I have now set them to 50 Hz and VSync InSim to 60, so they are now capped and synced at 50 FPS. I only get below 50 FPS in the rarest of cases. The image is now almost smooth, not 100% like with 75 FPS, but comes very close. In return, I now also have a smooth simulation on the ground and during the takeoff and landing sequences.

1 Like

I’m no expert, but just pass on what I find out. Refresh rate do seem to matter and VSync ties in with it to lock at a consistent level. Leaving FPS to ‘find itself’ seems to be a futile rollercoaster exercise, but many people still do this. Glad you found a smoother spot for your system to run at. I’m running my system at 4K 60Hz/30FPS and it is smooth. Every system will have a slightly different sweet spot though. Whatever works is the solution for your system. There are so many variables with this sim it’s impossible to come up with a correct combination that works for everyone. Between monitors, NVCP settings, drivers, in game graphics settings, scenery etc the permutations of settings are enomous.

BTW, reduce AI traffic, ground, vehicle and workers at airports for potential additional CPU load easing. I have mine at 20-30 and there are still plently (too many really) of them around.

Indeed, this is a science until one has reasonably realized the interrelationships that lead to a satisfactory result in the end. :sweat_smile:
The workers on the ground are reduced in my case, and I have deactivated car traffic altogether. Regarding the airplane traffic, I use the add-on “Simple Traffic” and have activated live traffic.

Everyone has to find out for themselves which features are important to them and find the best compromise in the end.

3 Likes

It is indeed. Not an exact science either!
I use simple traffic too, as it’s not a resource hog and it is simple. I use it in live traffic mode with ground traffic enabled but set at 35. Works really well.
I’m also using GAIST for shipping (latest version) and it works without any visible loading (to me).
Yes, agree everyone has to find their own solution, at least until someone comes up with a credible optimiser. NVidia’s Experience optimiser just ends up recommending I switch all my setings to low/med. No way I’m doing that! :rofl:

Yep, Simple Traffic is a fine tool.
Ok, I’ll have to try GAIST.
I didn’t understand that either, why GeForce Experience suggested me to set the settings to Low/Mid. :man_shrugging:
ok, it’s getting offtopic now. Let’s rather stop with it :joy:

1 Like

Turn ships and ferries down to 5-10% for GAIST to work properly. Henrik has now added so many vessel types, wakes and smoke too it’s really impressive now. OK i’ll stop talking about it now as its OT.

2 Likes

It really isn’t.

Traffic is a CPU hog, too. It needs optimization, especially on the slower systems.

And part of optimization is getting the MOST out of your system, and deciding what sacrifices you will make, and what compromises will allow you to boost your favorite details. I am a sucker for good clouds, so I lose a little traffic and render scaling.

Besides, it is exciting to see folks happy with the results they are seeing!

1 Like

You are of course correct, and traffic is often overlooked from a graphics (& CPU load) performance perspective because it isn’t in the Graphics Options section.

1 Like

I’m thrilled the Xbox has traffic sliders, since I think that will give folks the ability to stop the Series X stutter.

I was getting sick and tired of folks with amazing systems WAY better than mine having stutters. And I finally saw someone say, “I don’t think any current CPU can run at full TLOD.”

So I made this thread to test that theory fully expecting to be proven wrong within a day or so.

I have long thought folks are used to graphics settings taxing the GPU so they just don’t even realize what they are doing when they get their 3090 and set everything to beyond Ultra.

Some days, it feels like the majority of people’s problems in here revolve around this very issue.

1 Like

Exactly. They can end up running with a sub optimal system, then when a sim update comes and moves their system slightly they end up blaming the SU for it. :man_shrugging:

Yes XBox may have some leeway for resource improvement with traffic sliders and airports/dense scenery. CPU load/stutters on approach can maybe be eased a bit. I reckon most people just have their traffic sliders on 100% because it’s default and because changing the generic global graphics options from low->ultra or vice versa doesn’t change traffic one bit, so everyone assumes it’s a freebe from a resource perspective, and that is a wrong assumption.

1 Like

I really suspect the notorious stutter happens when the ground engine gets re-prioritized for landing. I think that is the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

You are flying over traffic and photogrammetry and the airport and vehicles are loaded and then the CPU is instructed that your plane is low and might land. And suddenly, on top of everything else, you now have a ground physics engine fighting for CPU. And I suspect the ground physics engine is de-prioritized once you reach a height where you would retract your landing gear having confirmed flight.

1 Like