1.16.2.0 SDK sim debugger displaying incorrect landing/stall values for flaps

Short summary: Asobo’s latest update has converted the lift vs flaps coefficient useless, causing a negative lift when planes extend flaps. In developer mode it is very clear, both the angle of attack required to land and the speed necessary to do so is greater than if you do not deploy the flaps. This bug affects all the airplanes, stock and payware. You have the evidence here:

Cesna 152:

Boing 737:

A320 neo:

Basically what you see in the red fields means, the landing speeds and the stall speeds are higher when flaps are deployed when should be the opposite, also the AOA recomended degrees gets higher too…

That’s explains clearly the issues reported with airliners like a320 and b737.

At this way is impossible to land them.

I report this because this needs to be fixed ASAP.

By way of …“I report this…”…did you lodge this with the Zendesk?
It sounds an important bug to have corrected asap.

I have done it, but I also want the community to know about it, and for third-party developers not to blow their minds modifying the flight models when there is clearly an internal bug in the game.

4 Likes

with the flaps bug in one of the past updates… how could they mess something similar up again? :roll_eyes:

The estimated numbers are wrong/transcribed? but the initial numbers are all correct.

And yes without flaps landing speed will be faster.

Estimated numbers are according to actual gross weight, so if the plane is fully fuel loaded, the estimated speeds required to land increase obviously relative to the reference speeds, but by no means, full flaps required speed should be higher than no flaps, when… the flaps function is exactly to increase lift and reduce landing required speed.

1 Like

It’s the Whack-a-mole approach to software developement.

3 Likes

For example, this is the a320 neo fully fuel loaded:

Basically what you see is, the required speed to land with no flaps is 221kts, but with flaps would be 254kts (should be less than 157kts if we take into account the reference speed) and the required aoa 20º. In normal circumstances airliners needs to be almost at minimum fuel, but now, is better you do with flaps/slats retracted than extended.

Yes on the estimated numbers, all I said was the primary appear correct.

Here have a bunch of dry reading

http://www.satavirtual.org/fleet/A320LIMITATIONS.PDF

They are correct but are just the reference speeds

It’s “just” a bug in the sim tuning debug window. If you extend the flaps to full, you will see that the “current” flap CLmax is not what is shown for the full flap CLmax. It is higher, as it should be. The lift coefficient vs flaps is not broken. It’s just that the value shown for “full flaps” is incorrect – the value actually used is unaffected.

3 Likes

So a cosmetic bug?

I don’t think so since the planes are showing erratic behavior after the update. But in case it was just a cosmetic glitch, it becomes more difficult to model an airplane if the data displayed by the debugger is incorrect. It like going completely blind.

I only fly GA, and the last couple of days I have flown the 172, and the BN2 Islander. I didn’t notice any problems with their handling with regards to flaps.

Not that I am any kind of expert whatsoever, but if you compare what we had during that period where they altered ground effect, and you would either glide forever, or in the case of the Piaggio would somersault at the first stage of flaps, that I could tell. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which aircraft are showing erratic behavior?

E.g. the 152 CAS stall speeds are exactly matching the POH data.

edit: just tested the A320 and I can’t confirm your findings.
Stall speeds correctly decrease with increased flap settings.

Do you mean the reference speeds are matching the poh data? o the estimated speeds?

No, the actual stall speeds in the sim are matching the POH data.
What are estimated speeds?

Numbers within the yellow rectangles are the reference speeds you set in the flight model, and numbers within the oranges ones are calculated by the sim according gross weight and more variables involved. If you add more fuel or payload you will see that estimated numbers increase. So for a gross weight of 1508lbs the estimated stall speeds and landing speeds provided by the debugger are 48kts, and 63kts, which is obviously wrong, they should be something like 36kts vs0 and 47 for landing speed full flaps. The debugger is also displaying the required speeds when full flaps are higher than with flaps retracted. Also, it’s displaying that the required AOA degrees for landing at that configuration be 15.65 degrees, i dare to say is wrong.

You may be right and that it is only a bug in which it only affects the information shown by the debugger and the calculations are being done well internally, but even so, you cannot adjust the curves if the information displayed is incorrect. It may indeed be that the bug is not just graphic and you actually need more speed to land and not stall, and also that a wrong number may be being used for other calculations, which may be even more serious.

Anyway we are talking about a small plane, in airliners the difference is more evident. But we come back to the same thing, we cannot adjust the coefficients if the displayed information is incorrect.

strange i landed the F15 and the neo320 yesterday with no problems.
Unless i indeed used a little more throttle than usual when i had flaps full and i didn’t noticed it

That’s really bad news, but there are a lot of other questionable values in debugging tools.
I don’t envy the MSFS FDM designers.
I still remember how much easier and much more precise FDE design in FSX became with AFSD!