[1.37.11.0] SU15 Beta Survey - Performance (Xbox)

LOD is pretty bad. I really want to eliminate the black screens and CTDs but flying above 10,000 ft in the UK and the scenery tile pop in is horrendous particularly on external view. I also noticed that the Seattle City add on by DrZ stays greyed out until literally on top of it. This was previously one of my favourite areas to fly. The trip between Victoria and Tacoma was great and the city looked brilliant on external view as you passed it on the approach. Just don’t think there is an answer to satisfy all.

3 Likes

I do agree as well, LOD is a real issue imho. I bought a few items on sale such as KBFI and NZMF and they’re full of objects without textures unless you really zoom in … it’s pretty bad. After rolling back to SU14 I noticed a significant visual improvement. I wonder if like we’ve seen in the past, servers have an influence and if beta servers have maybe less capacity than the production ones ?

3 Likes

This can’t be right. Look at those 737s parked on the right or the buildings to the left. ( this is KRNT) If this is the kind of optimization that brings stability sorry but I don’t buy it.

6 Likes

Game server load is often mentioned in LOD discussions I’ve read. And since server load varies over time and place, it gives different beta testers different LOD experiences that are hard to compare or confirm. Only the folks reading the beta telemetry will have the big picture on LOD? Aside from the trade off with stability, can we improve our flights’ performance by flying during times of day thought to be “off-peak”? For example, very early in the morning on weekdays? Avoiding weekends for challenging (to render) flights when game servers may be loaded? Any merit to this line of inquiry?

1 Like

Sorry, but this Is what I’ve seen ever since I play this Sim. It’s definitely not purely SU15 related.

2 Likes

When I do have real traffic enabled I see more of the paper plane aircraft with basic striped liveries more than anything else ie, A320 easyjet. I fly mostly in europe so I do see occasionally a Lufthansa livery as well. The paper plane AI spoils everything.

2 Likes

Happy Sunday folks! Drzewiecki‘s Chicago Midway (KMDW) never looked so good to me! Headed east to the new to me MK-Studios KPHL in the PMDG 737 flying Southwest colors. So these are two not so lightweight add ons, KMDW & 737 and I am super impressed with the Series X performance just now with live weather on and no traffic (just my preference right now, I want to relax and fly a while, not answer endless traffic calls and handoffs).

While not formally testing anything right now, for both flight and graphic performance this is a hands down win! Nothing lacking visually or in terms of aircraft control on the ground or in the air. It could be that with today being a holiday for some folks in some parts of the world that game server traffic is light and all the good stuff is coming through to my Xbox? Anyway, super happy right now giving v2 a well deserved rest. Good flying today folks!

3 Likes

Funny you should say that, I’m not getting the annoying scenery tiling today, so I’m in agreement with you about the servers not being as busy today.

4 Likes

Wow, a flawless flight into the new to me KPHL (MK-Studios) with no stuttering or anything affecting control of the 737 on approach or on the ground. Consider also all the adjacent scenery I have installed: PHL USA Modern Cities 1 and Phila bridges (RKbridger). All these looked great as I approached the area from the Northwest, the city and then the bridges coming into view. This was a stutterfest in SU14 (and who knows, maybe again on another day when the game servers are loaded). Could not be happier with this flight, the MK PHL or anything else listed!

3 Likes

I really think that the sometimes extreme stutterfest we experienced in the past is now really a thing from the past. Unless maybe you have the combination of extreme heavy traffic + extreme heavy weather like I experienced a couple of weeks ago at KATL. But who knows, that was 1 or 2 builds ago and maybe it’s even better now.

I just departed KLGA 3rd party. Pretty poor looking and poorly optimised scenery and it was awful to use in the past, and even this was, apart from some mildly stutters, a pleasant experience. Except the awful visuals offcourse, because of this addon.

It really is the happy days🙂. I think it’s time to buy some City upgrades if they are on sale.

1 Like

“But you have to understand frustration has been there for a long time.”

Of course - I would be frustrated too. :+1:

They sell it on SS so it should work well on that too. Hopefully they can get it close to the experience I have on SX.

Xbox X, I’ve done a lot of flying this weekend, mostly good, but…

Yesterday I did a long haul in the 787-10 from OMDB to EGLL (Dubai to London), and everything was great until Approach over London, sim would freeze for 2-3 seconds, unfreeze for 1 second, freeze again for 2-3 seconds. It was impossible to land, after a 10 hour flight - so discouraging.

I assume this is memory limitations with photogrammetry in London, or…?

2 Likes

Which EGLL?

Default EGLL (with World Updates), I don’t have add-ons (except the PMDG 737)

Hmmm, 10 hours. Perhaps that is testing the limits of various components? Box gets hot? game server issues over time? memory runs out? Other than these guesses, no idea really. Maybe write it up as a bug report for the SU?

No, I’ve done other long flights, this was photogrammetry I’m sure. London was covered in clouds but when I descended through, the city looked terrible (polygons) and then as the details started loading in, buildings gradually taking shape, that was the end of smooth flight.

It’s worth noting that the Simbrief flight plan from OMDB to EGLL has a LOT of waypoints, and the FMC did struggle a bit upon importing the flight, a bit of a pause when selecting the Departure runway and SID. The FMC became more responsive during flight as waypoints that had been passed evaporate, and the remaining flight plan gets shorter.

On long flights I will also often use the Drone camera to either go really high up in the atmosphere to see what can bee seen, or, drop down to ground level to look around. This does tax the system, and I can tell that to show ground details it gives up rending the plane - because when I switch back to the plane, everything kind of pops in, and the external view renders again (very quickly, but noticable). I think this is well managed - I can do it over and over again and no ill affects seem to accumulate.

2 Likes

Dynamic LOD is completely broken: if you start at a busy airport, the downgraded LOD will stay there until the end of the flight, no matter how light the scenery and/or the aircraft is.

This downgraded LOD appears also on aircraft/airports that never caused crashes or black avionics.

3 Likes

Today is terrible with my flight over California. KSNA to KOAK.

Update: started a new flight after a console restar.

KOAK to KLAS this time. First load was BS. Did a flight restart. LOD distance at airport was not great (kinda the new norm) and SFO LOD/PG was terrible until I got over FL100.

But… so far at no tile pop-in and it looks great at cruise,

I don’t know what to say. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I purchased Inibuilds KJFK and it’s an absolute mess do I need to uninstall the Asobo JFK? NYC on the weekend never looked so bad, I have Samscene 3D there is serious LOD issues around but not sure if this is due Inibuilds JFK.

1 Like