[1.37.15.0] Extreme stuttering makes the sim unplayable

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

N/A (Xbox Series X)

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

N/A (Xbox Series X)

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX12 (Xbox Series X)

Are you using DLSS?

N/A (Xbox Series X)

Brief description of the issue:

A few minutes after loading a flight the simulator starts exhibiting extreme stutters. 1-2 seconds of “freeze” at a time followed by a few tenths of second of movement. In this state the simulator is literally unplayable, unresponsive and ends up being completely frozen in place. No CTD but the only option is to shut it down via the Xbox menu.

Please see the attached video below. It was just a few minutes after loading in, while taxiing out to the departure runway near, but not in a non-photogrammetry environment. The aircraft in question worked flawlessly yesterday with the previous build.

Note: Other players have reported the same behaviour with various other aircraft and regions.

Note 2: Rolling cache is NOT used in my case.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

CM Edit: Please use a link to the video rather than an embed as it broke for many users for being over bandwidth.

(Alternate link in case the embedded video doesn’t work)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Load in a flight, presumably with any aircraft.
  2. Set it up / start flying and monitor performance.

PC specs and peripheral set up:

N/A (Xbox Series X)

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I have same stuttering on both the A310 and v1 A320

Extreme stuttering when panning around the cockpit. Cursor does not react to controller. Sim freezes making it unplayable. Reset required.

1 Like

Yes

Weather it’s XBox or PC. It does not matter what aircraft.

If I go the display options and change something and then back close and save it typically it will go away while I’m on the ground.

Additional information: I reinstalled the “Add-on Support” (WASM module) but it didn’t change anything. The simulator stuttered into a complete freeze just after a few minutes of flight.

Issue confirmed. Time dedicated to test the output of this 3 months beta campaing: less than 1h. Rolling back to SU14.

Cheers

1 Like

There is huge frame drop in airports where i used to get good fps…
at VIDP airport, i used to get 45 - 70 fps with frame gen mod ON and DLSS off (in RTX 2060)

But in SU15 beta latest update cause fps Drop and now i am getting 20 - 40 fps with Frame gen ON and DLSS off/DLAA and even more lag than previous beta update.

please look into this matter and dont release SU15 early. I guess it still has lots of bugs. ROLLING BACK to SU14 for stable performance. However in previous SU15 beta update ,there were very improvement on stutters and lag while moving the camera

:x: Additional test #1: Turning off Photogrammetry doesn’t help. The stutter still happens a few minutes into the flight and the simulator essentially freezes. So the problem is not with Photogrammetry data/streaming.

2 Likes

yes

happens in the a320 v2 and 747 after 30-35 min. Clean fs2020 install after latest beta. Disconnecting the internet connection makes it go smooth again but only for a limited amount of time.

:white_check_mark: Additional test #2: turning off Bing satellite imagery does help! Using the “offline world” no stutters occur, seemingly. I used the same aircraft, same area. So it seems the issue is with how the current version streams and handles satellite imagery. (Possibly not “unloading” unneeded textures, therefore overloading the system after a while?)

The reason why enabling the Rolling Cache may help some users is because it changes the handling of ground textures. I haven’t tested this yet.

Note: During my test I still had Online functionality, live weather and live traffic enabled. Only Bing imagery (plus, therefore, Photogrammetry) off.

2 Likes

Yes

On XBox Series X. Same issue occurred with the Microsoft 747-8 (with a marketplace paint scheme). Flight was IFR from PHKO (from the world update) to PHOG (the version available on the market place). Flight was smooth until entering the approach hold. Turning off online traffic did not improve the stuttering. The sim would freeze for .5-1s, then run for about .5s and repeat. Similar flights to PHOG ran very smoothly for me on the previous version of SU15 beta.

On a hunch, I checked my home internet status and noticed there my have been a partial outage in my area. The XBox network test shown full performance, but my other devices were experience significant lag and reduced download speed. It could be that restricted network speeds were affecting the online data and causing the stutter. But my sim froze completely before I was able to test this (by turning off all online functionality).

:white_check_mark: Additional test #3: I enabled Rolling Cache (8 GB) while enabling both Bing imagery and Photogrammetry. My first test flight was problem-free, but it was only 35-40 minutes long. I will test this configuration further.

It looks like the simulator locks up when used with Bing imagery and without Rolling Cache. It should work fine either way so this is still a bug, but enabling Rolling Cache may be a viable temporary workaround.

3 Likes

My rolling cache was set to 32gb and I experienced problems flying at 20000 ft above Spain. I have a very good internet connection. I experienced severe stuttering when I panned around the cockpit. It only got worse from then. Game over.

2 Likes

:x: Additional test #4: Rolling Cache doesn’t fully circumvent the stuttering problem. In today’s flight, even though I had the Rolling Cache enabled, the stutters returned and the simulator became almost completely frozen after about 40 minutes. I was flying above the UK shoreline. I managed to get back to the main menu before it froze completely, but the stutters remained even in the menus. I had to quit.

It’s possible that if you set the Rolling Cache larger then the stuttering appears later, but the bug remains all the same. It’s just a matter of luck, it seems.

4 Likes

I have same bug but on XBOX S - current only work around ive found (ive by chance done all the steps youve tried) was to uninstall fully and reinstall. It all started when zooming in and out of world map. Could always replicate it this way

1 Like

Stutter starts for me about 20 mins into a flight and gets worse until a shutdown is required as it becomes unplayable on XBX tested this 3 times yesterday and with the same result in the timeframe.

2 Likes

Performance wise - its back to SU14. Horrible stutters and LOD. I’m not sure if Asobo runs these beta releases on super computers and aren’t able to see the poor performance - I highly suggest they run these releases WITH addons on normal computers (those specified on release) and see if the performance is better or worse before releasing…

4 Likes

I get something similar on PC with SU14.

it’s intermittent, only last about 5 seconds and some times keeps occurring at an interval.

Some flights it never happens, others it does. I have a feeling it’s a problem with the terrain data servers…

IMHO you should try DX11 and forget the FrameGen mod (FSR3).

Interesting that this is tagged “bug logged”.

I wonder if this is slated to be addressed prior to SU15’s release.

Edit: Duh, this is an Xbox thread. I was thinking this was sim-wide. This is definitely on their plate.