~ 100% GPU load in the main menu

Since the patch I have seen this drop in frame rate much less and an improvement to the overall framerates. This is a step in the right direction. However I still get 100% GPU and the drop happening, and the occasional crash to desktop.

This is very strange though. Please can someone try this an confirm if this is happening with them too?

When flying, bring up your VFR map (v on keyboard under default binding), then “pop it out” (as in make it its own entity, as if running outside of MSFS). As this point I get a 20 fps boost to the main flight sim instance. With this running either in game or in the background (I assume it is always running), this is limiting my fps considerably. Breaking it out to its own instance, seriously improves the flight sim main application.

Thanks,
Andrew

1 Like

Make sure V-SYNC is on.
In the Main Screen Go to OPTIONS->GENERAL ->GRAPHICS->V_SYNC

That is what worked for me, CPU and GPU usage dropped dramatically

Hope this helps

4 Likes

You are certainly not the only person to be thinking this. I doubt that it’s actually true, but the optics of it are terrible for Microsoft. I really hope they address it soon.

1 Like

Can you link to the ticket? I want to star it.

What if I want to pause it to run to the bathroom or whatever? It really sucks to come back to an overheating computer. Especially in California when we’re having record temperatures.

Currently the only workaround to let the GPU take a break is to exit MSFS completely. But we all know how long it takes to load up again, so…

No dont worry about that. I do not think that you will come back to an overheating PC. We will see what happens with this new update

I most definitely do come back to an overheating PC if I leave MSFS in the menu for too long. I do worry about it because it is friggin hot here, and electricity isn’t free!

Anyway, I found a workaround in this thread that discusses the same problem. Apparently the issue is that the developers forgot to limit the frame rate in the menus, but if you use NVIDIA Control Panel to enable vsync or limit fps then it resolves the issue.

Hmz, I had this happen to me when I first got the game.
On this update though, the GPU is chilling on 25% on low clocks. Are you running the updater full screen or windowed? Windowed (it automatically scaled down from 1440p fullscreen to 1080p windowed when the update started) I have no issues currently.

When starting up MSFS to test out the vsync workaround it triggered an update for patch v1.8.3.0. So now I’m waiting for 11 GB more to download, then I’ll have a status update.

During the update (windowed) GPU usage was ~40%. CPU ~30%.

Now while sitting in the menu GPU usage is “only” ~85%.

When I switch to the World Map page where it isn’t rendering an aircraft in the hanger, GPU usage drops to 57%. At first I thought the graphics here were static, but if you look close you can see the clouds moving. That’s actually pretty cool. I’ll cut the devs some slack here.

Setting 60 FPS max frame rate seems to reduce usage just a bit further, using ~70% in the main menu and ~40% on the World Map page.

Still, with vsync and max frame rate set, when I pause mid-flight to enter the settings menu GPU usage will shoot up to 99% where it’s only at ~85% during flight.

So the problem persists, that of coming back to an overheating laptop after pausing to take a bathroom break.

BTW, this is on an RTX 2070 super with an i7.

Asobo, please lower system requirements to be in the main menu. We’re in November now and menu still runs video card at 100%.

3 Likes

samez, pls stop melting me

It might be that the background image in the menu is a real time rendering. If this is the case it could easily be switched out for a video clip.

I’ve the same problem.
At the launch, it’s arounf 50%. (In a 4k display.).

Jeez, in the newly released version, they still did not fix this… It’s unbelievable !

Yeah, the only way to “fix” this, is to drop the framerate to 30FPS in the graphic options ingame… then up it again in the actual flight.

it’s silly that apparently the rendering in the background is doing this.

Kindest Regards,

Steiny

1 Like

I would love to have an option in the menu to disable hangar and 3D animations in the main menu, a static MS FS 2020 wallpaper would be lovely.

1 Like

Absolutely agree to this. We dont need a fancy menu. Now it is barely impossible to use the pc for anything else. For example, when downloading an update or addon the pc is at 100% cpu and 100% gpu, eating power for hours just downloading the stuff… Talking about a waste of power.

2 Likes

Same with my RTX2080Ti

Note:

Issue about for possible Voting:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/100-gpu-load-main-menu-because-background-hangar-rendering/339365

The workaround right now is to toggle v-sync on with 20 fps limit in menu and switch to no v-sync before launching a flight.