10900k worth overclocking?

Hi all

I have a 10900k Cpu and it’s water cooled

Tried a couple of overclocks 5.2ghz but performance was a tad jumpy

I use to have a sandy bridge Cpu which was an overclock dream but thinking maybe not the 10series

Anyone have success & voltage ?

I dunno… I don’t personally like overclocking myself. I have i9-9900K aircooled with Noctua NH-D15. And I keep everything at stock.

1 Like

I have the same CPU and OC is set at 5.3. I delidded mine and have a custom water loop. Temps sit at 65 C With AIDA stress test. I have a ROG Maximus XII mobo. AVX is the key to having a stable OC with the 10900, And remember if your voltage is high it will eat away the performance over time so the benefits might not be worth it in the end. But i have no problems. I’ll link a guide i used last year.

https://www.overclockers.com/how-to-overclock-the-i9-10900k-a-guide-for-taming-the-beast/

1 Like

As long as you can keep temps down overclocking is very unlikely to damage anything.

With i9-9900k I use 4.9 ghz anything higher I see ctd’s.

1 Like

I have mine running at 5Ghz, but I just discovered how sensitive MSFS is to even the slightest instability. Something as simple as XMP profile can cause CTD. You will also have better performance letting the two cores boost to 5.3Ghz and remove power limit set by your motherboard. MSFS uses 1-2 cores mostly with additional 4 cores for light threaded work.

1 Like

Second that. MSFS is extremely sensitive to overclocking and even slight instabilities cause CTDs. Haven’t had a single CTD since I put CPU and RAM back to standard values.

I run mine at 4.7 with no instability problems and manageable temps. I don’t think I’ll try OC any higher due to limited potential gains, lack of optimization anyhow by MSFS and not worth a few extra frames per second.

2 Likes

Given up
It runs well at stock & powerful Cpu

Kind of thinking I should t have bothered spending extra for the K version )-: