10FPS with RTX 3080 in VR with Reverb G2. Solutions?

I would say on average I get about 25 FPS. Render scale on 100 most other settings on ultra or high. I was just enjoying a flight through the Alps there in the MB-339 at quite low level and it does look amazing but there is just a very slight stutter for me. I’m missing a frame somewhere. Like I said in my earlier post the stutter seems to oddly come and go. Yesterday I was playing and it was really smooth. More often than not though I do get that stutter.

I’d suggest you have a look at Alex Vlachos videos I’ve posted near the end of this post:

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

It will explain things better!

TL;DR: because the VR driver must distort the image with barrel distortion to compensate for the lenses pincushion distortion, you have to render at a sufficient resolution so that the rendered image resolution as enough pixels at its center to fully represent each of the distorted image pixels. With the G2 resolution you shouldn’t notice much difference it you’re using a resolution a little bit lower than 100% (1.5x native res) but you might start noticing more aliasing artifacts at 50% (1.0x native res though).

1 Like

Fps in fs2020 varies so much in vr. In sims such as xplane it is fairly consistent no matter what aircraft etc. Super dissapointing, also I seem to get low cpu and gpu usage with my i7 9700k and rtx2080ti.

Let’s hope they will finetune everything a bit more like they did with x-plane. I just can’t go back to x-plane it feels so 20’s :wink:

3 Likes

Not optimized for VR? Not really. This is a MSFS problem I think - the MSFS is not optimized for VR, not the 3000 series. My 3080 is absolutely stellar in the most graphically intense VR game: Half-Life Alyx. In the G2 graphics and mesh detail is stunning. It really is. I’m playing through the whole game again after completing it last March in Rift S. And I’ve never replayed a game in my life. IT’s jaw-dropping stunning. Butter-smooth, no stutter at all, all settings on Ultra.

Medal of Honor also plays well. There are many people complaining online about that game being impossible to run smoothly. It does have some problems sometimes, but in the actual gameplay it’s very smooth. So, while the drivers can of course be optimized more, I believe it’s the MSFS itself that is at fault here, most likely. Considering Asobo did not bother implementing VR controllers at all, putting MSFS behind competing sims, they must have rushed VR release to have people play VR before Chrismas. Which was a good idea in general, but they need to finish the job, optimize the performance and implement VR controllers. And also work with Nvidia on VR optimization with drivers.

2 Likes

That’s precisely because the software is rendering a distorted image to compensate for that. In every game or app for VR. Basically it has to render higher-res image for the center of the image to remain sharp after the necessary distortion correction. It almost begs to have some algorithm that wouldn’t make it necessary, rendering only the pixels that need to be rendered (kinda like DLSS maybe?) but I don’t know about about that to speculate further. The fact is it’s a massive amount of pixels to get G2 to remain at full resolution.

1 Like

Yeah fair points. I only got my headset recently, and my 3080 for that matter, so haven’t ventured much into other games yet. Hope Asobo get things a bit better optimised soon.

I just tried the non g1000 aircraft like the 152 and i am getting a whopping 60fps in the air and 45 on the ground. Never expected such kind of difference

What kind of settings are you using?

Standard vr settings on 100% render scaling.

With the zlin shock i got the 60 in the air. The simpler the aircraft the more fps.

Right now I’m running with a MSI Mortar AMD 5800X, EVGA 3090 FTW3, GSkill Trident 32GB of RAM and Corsair AIO watercooled system. My display is the HP Reverb G2 with the Logitech X52. Just want to fly around and get smooth…please help. Do I need to upgrade anything?

Your post would be so funny, if it weren’t sad… Top of the line GPU, high-end CPU, you have a stellar system. And you are asking about upgrading? It’s the MSFS that needs to be “upgraded” so it would run well on high-end PCs. Maybe Nvidia drivers too… Looks like there’s nothing we can really do, but some mitigation with settings.

Joining @RomanDesign here:

Yes you have to upgrade your whole computer in changing it to a real aircraft! You’ll get smooth and accurate flight models, realistic weather conditions, accurate turbulence and the thrill of your life :joy: !

I tried a lot of different things now. The in game render scale is 60; OpenXR Deverloper Tool is 65 (I can’t go any lower otherwise Motion Reprojection has errors). Within the game settings I have decreased everything to Low; shadows off; reflections off; terrain and object detail to 75. And only when I do all that at least it’s not a slide show however it’s so blurry it’s not even funny. Hurts my eyes and everything looks terrible.

Have you looked to this:
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Thanks I looked at this the other day and the thing that I was confused about is that you’re using SteamVR but I have been using OpenXR Developer Tools for WMR. Do I still need to run steamVR? I saw in youtube video this guy named FlightSimGuy saying not to use SteamVR as it not as good as OpenVR. This is all so confusing…

The only option for me (on a high end system) is flying simple aircraft without a G1000. Great for VFR flying but not for IFR.

CptLucky8, it seems I was having the mouse bug stutter that you described down your page where by using the mouses causes the motion reprojection to stop. The tip you gave to keep the mouse pointer over the checklist, tower comm menu, or map until it disappears did the trick for me. However, I did run into an issue where at one point the mouse pointer completely gets lost and I couldn’t recover it. Seems what happens is that the mouse can’t tell if it’s in 3D space or VR space. Anyway, thanks for posting that solution. At least it is playable for me now. I was able to increase the OpenXR render scale and in game scale both to 80 and it was smooth in a city area

1 Like

I get 3 to 5 extra fps with the g1000 community mod. If i turn of the terrain data on the main screen.