113GB update after leaving the Beta flight

Beta participant here. Did the update / removed myself form the flight just like instructed. The MSFS update in Store recycled several times (installed itself repeatedly), then for “Digital Ownership” and “Deluxe Edition” in the Store list it says, “Install from XBox app.” Did that, again, it asked me to do it several times. Now I’ve gotten the sim started and it wants to update 113GB.

@anon17491698,
Mine did the same thing. It kept throwing me back to the MS Store app and downloaded what seemed to be a small file. Did this about 3 times and decided to reboot.

After the reboot, it then worked - however! - MSFS wanted to install in the default location when I have it elsewhere. I caught that (luckily) and pointed to where I have it installed. So, I think I saved myself from a full download!

This is the first time it’s happened to me.

Oh ■■■■, so I might be doing a second download… I THINK I have it installed in the default location though… So I don’t know why it would do this.

I do “think” that if you were in the Beta and you had it installed in the default location, most would be having to do a full download.

If you had it installed, say, C:\MSFS, then all that would need done is to assure it points to that location.

There’s something about the “default” location and using a beta from Xbox Insider!

1 Like

So I looked in the default install location on my C drive and the folder structure is there (date and time from this morning, as if the folders were just created) and they are mostly empty, so it looks like it’s doing a full install to the default location. I don’t think I installed it anywhere other than that. I’m looking elsewhere on my two drives now to see if I find it already installed somewhere else.

1 Like

I don’t remember if we had to do a big download to join the beta. So what you’re saying is if I was in the beta and have the sim installed in the default location, then I should expect to have to do a full download right now?

Correct.

See this post when the SU7 Beta came out:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/pre-release-testing-su7-update-public-flight/479364

So to be safe, install outside of the default (the in-game data location, not the MS Store installer).

I believe that when you joined the Beta, it only needed to download and update to the existing - so thus a smaller download. However, leaving the Beta and it’s in the default location - it will want to reinstall fully. Why it does this, I don’t know.

Sorry you have to do full install. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Meh, if that’s the worst of it I can survive that. I really appreciate the help, Hester!

1 Like