120HZ for XBOX finally being realized for SU15?

I will admit I have not tried 120hz in some time on MSFS, usually by ‘accident’ as I run it at 60 and ALL other games at 120. Typically there was no performance increase, occasionally there was visual tearing and even some hiccups/stutters that weren’t there at 60. Colors were washed out some as well.

I went right from Lego Skywalker with my daughter into MSFS the a couple days ago and even the menu and world map was notably sharp and liquid smooth. The game even runs now almost with that ‘soap opera’ effect TV’s in the store have annoyingly turned on for 24fps movies. I took a bush trip in the XCub and if someone told me it was running 90fps I wouldn’t be surprised. No color breakdown either. Even with a bi-plane taking in scenery in a much wider FOV than a cockpit I saw drastic increases in FPS. Dare I say a touch of vertigo with a 55" parked in my face when tumbling some aircraft around.

I’ve only flown a few shorter flights with an actual flight plan and using glass cockpits in the past couple days, but it seems almost bizarrely smooth, can clearly even see liveries on passing airliners. No CTD’s or stutters yet, will have to dig up an older flightplan and do a more traditional 300mi hop in something more complex.

But what the heck?, it looks ridiculously good so far. I did turn off live traffic the other day trying to weed out traffic from scenery causing some stutters but still using full ground aircraft/AI and PG.

I have been using that tree size mod lately, where it seems the LOD on both trees and buildings is triple what it was, for most island/mountain flying, you can’t see anything without trees, versus the old drop in patches.

Going to go through the paces with some tried and true things that stutter out/crash the sim on purpose and see what happens.

Running the TV at 4K 120HZ and everything that can possibly be turned on activated, with VRR.

ETA: I will say I went from Shellharbour(next to the 747) to Sydney(which I have the city, global shipping, and the airport) in the WACO, wandered around Royal National Park for a bit, and of course buzzed both the international airport and the city and landed at Bankstown and parked right next to a few fully rendered hangar aircraft. Whole lot of MP aircraft and some AI, zero lagging or issues at all. I mean silk smooth the entire thing, about 1:20 for the flight. LOD was ridiculous and didn’t even burp going from distant PG buildings to hand drawn ones, the docks were fine, etc. Pretty amazing actually. And I had done a 40 minute bush hop in Alaska already on the same load. I went in there with the specific intention of seeing lag in Sydney after flying around a while. Was so impressed with the bush flight figured I’d try out one of my best overall areas for VFR flying. I hadn’t even checked Sydney yet to see if it even worked right in 14.

Haven’t dared put Las Vegas city back on yet.

Why are you talking about 120Hz if game is in 30FPS on Xbox?

2 Likes

The framerate, if you have a VRR tv, is unlocked on the series X. It´s really cool because, most of the time, the game is running way higher than 30 fps, I would say an average of forty to 50 fps up in the air. Can´t wait for this patch.

2 Likes

I always run vrr but this looks ridiculous at times now, like a cut scene on a commercial. Need to see if I can break it but at Barth every tree and building is in frame and smooth as glass. Was acting the fool in the monster nx. Only the typical burp like a new MP aircraft loading in. Just never thought to run 120 in a long time. Surfing the world map is crazy smooth.

1 Like

It´s not 120, it´s actually 60. When you pull the framerate on the tv´s menu, you have to cut whatever number is there in half (if you see, for example 100, it´s actually 50). By the way, that performance you´re talking about, it´s the SU15 beta, right? not the current public version?

It’s in the title, the post is in the SU15 beta forums… So I’d say yes :slight_smile:

I’m not saying that 120hz means 120fps, but the imagery is vastly improved. Even the start splash screens are faster and load time is notably shorter. Well under 2 minutes now. Menu screens are richer in color instead of washed out. Even mouse and controller cursors are smoother. Was doing main wheel touch and gos with the husky and waco, which I have 100ish hours in is definitely razor sharp and clear running across the field on the mains. Ground handling and even turbulence seems to be more crisp with much higher fidelity. And not the ground enhancement update, mean drastically between 60 and 120. Before it didn’t do anything for the better. Like the .'box has some unrestricted legs.

Zoom dives at 400kt down to 20’ are so super smooth. It is literally like the motion enhancement being turned on when watching your favorite movie on a TV. After hundreds of hours watching something it all looks strange. At any notable altitude there isn’t even any perception of frame rate at all, definitely in excess of 50. Setting up a gaming computer, it would be your ‘dream’ frame rate you were looking for. On a frigging console.

Trying to crash the game in some notoriously bad areas it was able to power chug through it, a few black screens but it all came back and seemed to beak the chug down to doom cycle and recovered when leaving the area. Last Sunday at 60hz definite ctd

What TV are you using? And are you running 4K120hz? I’m on a LG Oled C9 55 inch.
I tried 120hz before and it skips certain parts of the start up splash screens and goes haywire. In game, it stutters like mad on 120hz vrr and if I turn the refresh rate back to 4k60hz, it is smooth and stable.

On another note, I’d have to agree with you on the tree mod on the MP for $5. I bought it and instantly my LOD for buildings and trees seem to triple. Even in the far distance I can still see my fully rendered buildings and third party scenery. It kind of removed certain trees blocking the approach lights at airports. Now I can see them in better detail.

If what your claim is on 120hz is true, I might very well see if it works for me by upgrading to SU15 beta. I opted out of it as the first beta build was causing me issues.

I too fly around on the GF Monster NxCub, a bundle of joy and happiness in a small pack!

Yea did that before at 120hz for me. Still in beta the splash openings are a little borked and if you spend time watching the opening videos they do some strange stuff. But in menu and game it works better with no tearing or artifacts. Like whatever they did in the game engine allows it. Does seem to punch through what would be lag/black screen triggers better from new models/textures dropping into the frame. Although in 120 I’m not sure if the 120hz itself or running it with VRR that causes issues with the game cinematics.

I will say the ‘tree mod’ may make NYC unusable because the LOD increase doesn’t seemed managed well, but cities the size of Sydney or Las Vegas are fine. It’s doing something bypassing that usual little bubble of LOD safety that’s a bit obnoxious right now. This IS from the developer that only made the 30 different color flashlights as their other ‘mod’. Need to go back to NYC without it on but I’m in no hurry for the same reason I left Queens decades ago, it’s an ugly place.

I’m using a Hisense 7U? or something like that 55". A few years ago it was a gaming hero because it was one of the first LED’s to run at or above 120HZ, and when XBSX came out, it was one of the only TV’s that you could literally check every single box in the settings(IIRC only THREE TV’s were capable of running the new box with everything checked at launch). The LG was still a C1 at the time.