122.800 in Kansas City area

Can anyone please confirm that when departing or flying in the greater Kansas City (KMCI, KMKC, KOJC,KLXT) area and tuned to 122.800 (Unicom) you actually end up receiving the ATIS (AWOS) for an small airport in the area (can’t remember identifier)?

It only starts after takeoff and will continue until many miles away from KC. Makes flying on VATSIM in and around KMCI problematic at best.

Anyway, I want to officially report it but also want to make sure it is not something on my end. It has been there for several updates.

Thanks

It’s Garnett (K68), but you only hear it if you have “ATC Voices” turned on in Assistance Options - User Experience. You want that off when you’re using Vatsim.

Looked it up, and apparently K68 really does broadcast its AWOS on 122.8, which makes absolutely no sense to me.
Screenshot_20211024-074425

Thank you, could not remember the identifier to save my life.

Never did try without ATC voice, good catch.

I don’t recall it doing this in the 1st releases. Not sure how to resolve, nothing can be done on this end only Asobo.

Thank you sir.

The thing is, it’s correct to real life. Nothing for them to “fix”.

Right, they’d have to make a special exception for this one airport.

Just curious how that works irl. Wouldn’t think you’d be able to transmit position reports or anything else without AWOS blocking you out.

This airport likely has an “Automated Unicom”, which was marketed under the brand “SuperAWOS”. It requires 3 clicks of the microphone and it will broadcast the AWOS information on the unicom frequency (similar to how pilot controlled lighting works).

There was an initiative to note on the charts if an airport had an automated unicom, however the system proved to be unreliable and was de-certified, leading the FAA to remove it as a source of weather. As a result, if you check the NOTAMS for K68 it says “AUTOMATED WX BCST SYSTEM U/S (Unserviceable)”.

Good info, never knew that. Didn’t have all that fancy techno stuff when I was actually flying years (and years) ago.

Lean something new every day. Thanks.

1 Like

Moved to Bugs and Issues airports.

Moved to #self-service (issue reported as fixed)