20:00z weather advancement bug - FIXED

Thanks for the reports everyone! :smiley:

@OlieTsubasa443 Good feedback regarding live weather :slight_smile:

Glad to see the good news. Have not been on MSFS yet today and been hoping for positive feedback post-20z.

1 Like

Yep it has remained accurate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right now I canā€™t even access the sim, so not sure if this will impact live weather if already flying

Back working now, just a temporary glitch it seems.

Wonder of that was the caused by Xbox Game Service not being updated in the store. Looked like a new update had posted around that time.

Yesterday I did a 5 hours long flight, zero problems except at 1900z the upper wind suddenly changed by 20 knots for minute or two (returned normal then). So there seems to be a small glitch still.

I can concur that as of the last couple days the weather has been absolutely spot on for me all over the US

1 Like

Working great here at KERV! Well, except the strobe lightning that never seems to stop in this part of Texas!!

updateā€¦no itā€™s not! Overcast right now on Windy and KERV METAR.

Sim is partly cloudy with Str :cloud_with_lightning:be Lightning continuing. :man_shrugging:

That could just be a case of the meteoblue forecast being off, I think the meteoblue had forecast lightning.

Certainly on windy it has lightning forecast:

1 Like

All good now. I stopped that flight and started the flight again. It now looks as it should. Matches up pretty good to unreal weather too.

still alot of lightning.

I believe this is the ā€œfuzzinessā€ of clouds, precipitation and lighning being based on a forecast model. Hereā€™s what the CAPE index (marks the amount of energy in the atmosphere and therefore is an indicator for the probability of thunderstorms) on the Meteoblue site looks for the area now:

I think we will have to accept that ā€œLive weatherā€ is more or less a closed system within the simulator that resembles the basic conditions of the atmosphere in real life - and it does that amzingly good imho. However, this includes atmospheric phenomena being simulated where in real life they are not present. Thunderstorms are the best example, because even modern technology is not able to predict where the arise - if they are not caused by a moving cold front.
So, if the weather is not totally off, as it has been between 2000Z and 0900z the following day, this is something we have to get used to. This is not to say that it is not ASOBOā€™s duty to provide means to access the in-game weather as it is simulated. Injecting real life METAR data is only an interim solution imho, as I think we need a sim-based METAR system we can use to plan our flights.

4 Likes

Hi utd4life12,
Rex Weather Force works very well for me. I have been using it for about 2 months with no problems, I can actually see the storm clouds rolling in as the weather changes

Regards
J26

Donā€™t use REX or any other METAR based weather injecting mod unless you donā€™t care about middle and upper level clouds and correct winds and temperatures aloft.
METARs are different around the world, for example in the Czech Republic we donā€™t report clouds above 5000 ft unless itā€™s TCu or Cb (we report those up to FL100).

As TomL7753 described, the live weather system has its limitations, but those are because of the chaotic nature of weather. Current global weather models donā€™t have the mathematical capabilites and resolutions to properly forecast thunderstorms for example.
Especially those in relatively stable (pressure wise) warm air masses, because they are often composed of small individual cells that undergo approximately 30 minute life-cycle.
Mesoscale convective systems and complexes are a different thing, those can be predicted more easily because they are larger in scale.

Once thermals, up/downdrafts (not those nerfed ones that are implemented right now) and proper visibility based on humidity (there are basically no fogs/hard IFR like CATIII conditions in the sim right now) are implemented, this will be the best of the best in-game weather simulation there is.

2 Likes

Hey, I do actually have REX WF but donā€™t use it.

Mainly because as sydicek says, so many airports here in Europe donā€™t report clouds above 5,000ft in their METAR, here it gets reported as CAVOK or NCD (No Cloud Detected), which means purely metar-based system like REX WF misses out so much data.

I also didnā€™t like how it injects weather as a theme globally, meaning if itā€™s reported Overcast in the METAR it injects that as a theme for the full area, it means I canā€™t see the beautiful weather fronts etc that the in-built weather offers.

Yep absolutely agree, even without this at the moment as disappointing as it is not having proper RVR values simulated it still (for me anyway) beats any other weather simulation hands down, and Iā€™ve tried pretty much all of them across P3D and XP11.

Exciting times ahead!

1 Like

So today once again live weather is working perfectly for me.

I will conclude that the fix implemented server side has rectified the issue and I will now update this thread to ā€˜solvedā€™.

More than happy for us all to keep posting here though with any reports, abnormalities with the weather we may experience.

Thanks to each and every one of you that along with myself has submitted countless reports and testing to get it fixed.

5 Likes