~ 25 FPS reduction after using double monitor

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I tried to connect my second monitor which went without any problem. But then my FPS which was around 100 is almost halved and got 55 instead. Is this the same issue that is pop up windows causing FPS reductions or is there actually a solution ?

Thanks in advance !

Hi!

Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a subcategory of General Discussion & Community Support Tech Talk
The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside our other sub-categories.

Please check out these other categories for your future posts:

• Aircraft
    is where you discuss current or future planes coming to MSFS as well as assistance with liveries.
  • World
    is where you discuss scenery, airports, and weather.
  • Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
    is where you ask for help with flying.
  • Tech Talk
    is where you discuss installation, graphics, drivers, performance, CTDs, peripherals, and hardware.
  • Menus & Activities
    is where you discuss activities (landing challenges, bush trips, etc), plus anything accessed by the menus including the Marketplace, settings, logbook, cameras, etc.

That’s strange. I use 3 or 4 screens when flying and didn’t notice any impact (if you’re not running anything resource intensive on the other screens of course).
How do you measure the FPS? It might just be an issue with the tool. The most reliable one is the FPS counter in developer mode.

The only explanation I can thing of would be if you’re very low on free VRAM and adding another screen tips the scale.

I use nvidia in game FPS counter which is accurate often. I don’t like the dev mode FPS counter because to me it doesn’t show the real FPS. I’ll post below screenshots. Maybe you guys can have an idea why I have this problem.
My rig is RTX 4090, AMD 7950X3D, 32GB RAM and 2TB SDD for MSFS.

Above image, standing at EDDM with 92 FPS.
Now I’ll activate the second monitor.

New FPS is 53.

EDIT:
For some reason my resolution went max. I fixed it again back to native resolution of both monitors.
I gained some FPS but still way lower than original.

as you say the dev FPS counter isnt showing your “real FPS”, i suspect you use Framegeneration?
If yes, that probably wont work at all with 2 monitors, and therefore your FPS are halved.

But keep in mind, the dev FPS counter is indeed showing your REAL frames, Framegeneration-FPS are anything else than “real”…

1 Like

That is affirmative. I use DLSS 3.0 along with DX12. So is that the reason that it doesn’t work ? May I ask what’s the reason behind it ? Thanks !

It probably is. DLSS Framegeneration seems not to work on 2screens.

I use 2 screens and frame gen and it’s working fine as long as you keep MSFS in focus. Are you running full screen or windowed mode for the game?

If I click outside of MSFS (to chat in discord / view browser or whatever) then my frames drop in the game until I click back on to it to make it the active window / screen.

It absolutely should pretty much halve your FPS as you’re doubling the pixels.

I tried them both, didn’t make any differenece unfortunately. I haven’t tried it without frame gen though. Maybe that is the problem but you would’ve experienced it too if it was the case or ?

No idea really - there are so many variables!

As far as I can tell it only applies frame generation to the ACTIVE (in focus) “window” so it sounds to me like something on your end is forcing focus away from MSFS even when you are “playing” (interacting) with it?

My second screen is just a simple HDMI portable monitor, not a “real” gaming display monitor. It does not have G-sync/Freesync or anything like that.

This one...

Amazon.co.uk

It should work fine. What is your second screen and what connection cable are you using? If you unplug it, does FG work as expected?

only if he’s running MSFS on both monitors at the same time. If the second monitor is only displaying the Desktop the impact should be minor

Unfortunately I couldn’t test it, I was busy lately. I’m using Display Port for both of my monitors. The second monitor I’m only using as another desktop so extended monitor. And only MSFS is open as a window. I mean almost 20-25 FPS deduction, I wish there was a solution to that :frowning:

It’s less than minor. If you’re not running anything 3D compute resource intensive on the other screen then the impact is basically 0.
If this is related to DLSS 3.0 frame generation then it’s another issue. Apparently, it has its limitations, but that has nothing to do with the sim itself.

The workaround is to use a laptop, tablet etc. instead of another screen. Most external tools are networked anyway.

You still didnt got it. He has flight simulator on both acreens. And yes its normal that when you compute 2 screens that you have your fps halved. For dlss frame generation - it only works on active window so basically on main screen. I have msfs on 3 screens and only center one has dlss frame generation.

Ah that is clear now thank you. But how do I make sure that MSFS in the other screen doesn’t use frame gen ? I can only see add another window option, but can’t change it’s settings.