3 screens range issue with TrackIr?

Hello sim lovers,

So far so good, 70-90fps  with all graphic setting adjusted at their maximum on 3 x 4k TVs. Before mentioning the issue, all those players playing with VR for pleasure could just skip their opinion. Playing with VR is restricting you doing SOPs by interacting with all the instruments fast by hand  and writing flight documents, otherwise real sims would have been made with VR as well, think about it.

I will be glad if I receive advice about the following two issues :slightly_smiling_face:

1. So the 1st issue that I’m facing is adding more motion towards reality. The purpose is to be able to move your head further to the front / left / right, when you are around the runway, or moving it downward, backward when looking for suitable area for emergency landing. So these actions are easily made by TrackIr + Track Clip Pro on a single screen. It was doing great work until I added two more screens in a row on both sides. It became so large that when I move my head further to the right or left , TrackIR looses its range and connection with the Track Clip Pro and in this case It could be good if it just looses its signal and stops moving on certain point but instead of that when this happens the screen starts… how to explain it … rotating, vibrating, flickering, moving in different directions. Tried all the setting for the all 6 axis and couldn’t find a solution why is this happening. The range is so short that it works maybe until 30 degrees of head rotation
  • Any ideas If its possible to use two TrackIrs on both side on my Dashboard in order not to loose the signal with the Clip Pro, or using two x Clip Pros on both side of the head maybe? Or you can suggest other tracking device? Or an idea how to stop this weird movements and flickerings
  1. Everything is doing great when I add the two side views from the experimental options and adjust them as I want, until I start a new flight or restart the simulator, then the three windows appear one over another or on a screen which they are not suppose to appear. Any ideas how to save their order and place?

1st of äll nice clean setup you have there

Long complicated read, sorry i m not highly educated person but i try to explain myself as good as possible, feel free to comment.

You can try step wise after reading full

So you have angles in your screen setup of less than 90° (i guess betrween 67 and 79°)
Do not know what kind of irtracking (softwarewise), you use but i think they all work similair
Check the diagonal fov from left bottom to right top on all 3 screens in one from where the seat is located.
Also important is the degree of angle of radiate the ir leds are this is important for the input of how far you can turn your head, before your out of boundaries and you lose track.

Good news is by setting the right distance in the software mapping this by trail and error. What works best for you.
How? Let me explain myself on my own develloped point of view.
Imagine this.

See your self sitting in your car look over the steering wheel and look from here left to right and imagine how you do this in different speeds and notice how far you move your head and try to convert this to cm or inches ( measure from the tip of the nose in of turning relay to the neck) and convert this figuarly of speaking to degree of field i think let say 35° left and 55° right straight from to. Im not talking of periphal view here because that is wider and is used to warn you of movement in that area so you will actually look over.

This is the point where your problem starts
And where you must experiment with mapping by setting mappingbar to higher or lower numbers of cm i guess not to much start with 5cm

With your setup sit already over center of the side screens to the end of the screen i guess.
So from here give it here the same as above nose thing i mentioned this time measure from down to up in degree i would say 45° to 60°
Now map these in pitch
What you must notice is that the simulation of your head movement should be fairly normal, but if extending mapping by overstretch your head further than what you have set already set it a bit wider and a bit more higher on this mapping bar, but keep the above sections in mind no need to look so far left or right. Why?
Because the program can do this if you focus on outside and will show you if you focus on what you see.
Play with this and find your settings and tweaks

In a nutshell this is how trackir works for me and i hope for others to or at least give some understanding

Btw i use opentrack, and i believe 60° ir led.

That’s a cool idea. Let me know if anyone has done something like this.

I put the TrackIR ProClip on the left side of my headset, and then I put the IR camera on top of my left secondary monitor. It sees a lot more than 30 degrees of movement. I can look a lot more to the left than I can to the right, but this is fine as I’m usually flying a left hand traffic pattern, my scenery gawking window is to the left since I’m flying left seat, and if I need to look behind I just remember to turn my head to the left and I can see directly behind me.

You might try something similar instead of putting the receiver at the center of your center screen.

Regarding issue #1:
Before switching to VR (and I will never come back) I used 3 displays with TrackIR. If your tracker is loosing visibility of your clip (you can check this easily in the TrackIR software - use the screen showing what the tracker is seeing - should be 3 points) consider mounting the tracker not on your display but behind it. This way you will not exceed the tracker horizontal angular coverage.
My displays however were not placed so much around me as yours, you have ca. 110 degrees between the displays, in my case it was more like 150 degrees, so I was never turning my head 90 degrees to left/right. Your setup might be beyond angular coverage capacity of TrackIR. Just experiment with TrackIR location to have the best coverage.
You may also experiment with the reflective clip mounted on your hat or on top of your headphones, instead of the Clip Pro, which may be obscured by your head when you rotate it. With the reflective clip you can also experiment with bending (be careful, don’t break them) the reflective surfaces to ensure that the TrackIR will still see them.

Further away as suggested is the trick but if not viable with your screen setup, try mounting behind as long as the software allows flipping of the Y axis and you reflectors are on the back of your head/headset it should work.

To stop the weird behavior of TrackIR when tracking is lost, consider assigning stop tracking and recenter functions of TrackIR to the button on your yoke.
I would also examine if there is any option in TrackIR software controlling the behaviour when tracking is lost.
You may also apply flat tracking curves in TrackIR software for head positions outside of TrackIR coverage. So when you move your head to excessive angle, it will no longer result in the image rotation. But you issue is probably more caused by the tracking lost situation.

But generally I’m afraid that your setup in which you are enclosed by displays is not geometrically compatible with TrackIR. I would say it’s better and more realistic than TrackIR, as your head movements are fully in sync with the image you see. If you are lacking vertical image coverage, consider zooming out. If you can’t look back - many real world planes have this limitation. You can also revert to the good old hat switch for the cases when you need to judge your base turn.

If your goal is to have 360 degree coverage in all directions, the ultimate answer is VR. With a little bit of training you will be able to operate your physical buttons, switches and knobs in blind. Believe me, I can do it with more than 200 buttons/switches/knobs in my setup, I can fly an airliner in VR without even touching keyboard or mouse as long as I don’t need to operate any documentation/charts which must be also displayed in VR.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.