3090 Release Tomorrow

Stopped by the local Microcenter this afternoon. About 30 campers with tents and chairs waiting to get a shot at getting a 3090. A sign on the door says they only have 10 and vouchers will be handed out in the morning to the first 10 people. It will take a while to get a hold of one outside of a lucky grab.

1 Like

How is that going to work with social distancing? The first 10 campers would logically be the first 10 people? Why bother camping if you’re in the back 20?

2 Likes

30 campers with tents, waiting for a GPU??
Are you kidding me / us ?!

3 Likes

could say the same thing about someone camping for a new phone

4 Likes

For MSFS2020 I have to wonder how much they will gain with the 3090, over the 3080,
Its a lot of extra money, for what may well no effective gain in the sims performance.
But with the 3090 comes great bragging rights :nerd_face:

Maybe, they got their 2nd “Stimulus Check” early !!

2 Likes

Back in 95 they had campers for windows 95. Hundreds of people.
I waited in line for about 6 hours and got a copy.
Took a while to load the 25 floppy disks into my 20 meg hard drive.

4 Likes

Probably not much. There will be diminishing returns as CPU/GPU goes up because the software has to be able to use all of that extra beefiness. It can’t use all the functionality of Turing as it stands now, much less Ampere.

Sure, but now we have COVID. Depending on where he lives, that sort of door-rush thing might actually be unlawful, and it is definitely not a good idea. It is irresponsible for the store to run that sort of promotion, and irresponsible for the people taking the bait.

EDIT: Unless the camping is highly coordinated to maintain distance between each camper, and tomorrow when they open up the store, there is an orderly, highly organized and distanced line to get the vouchers.

Not looked into it myself, but from some tech reviews I have read recently, it seems that MSFS2020 does not take advantage of that many cores ??

More than FSX though

Early numbers suggest 10-15% performance increase in gaming workloads for the 3090 over the 3080. Up to 20% in others optimized for DLSS, RTX. Where it pulls ahead significantly is in heavy rendering workloads with 25+%. That’s also due to its whopping 24GB of RAM.

So if you’re buying it for gaming, the 3080 is the smarter choice at 1/2 the price. Even better, there will be like 20GB SKUs of the 3080 coming out soon. That’s where the smart gamer should really put their money if they want the biggest bang for their buck.

Unless money is no object and you need to have the best of the best, or you’re just a show-off who’ll live off of ramen noodles and chicken weiners for the next 3 years to afford it. Then by all means, go ahead and buy it.

3 Likes

I’m willing to bet that the kind of people willing to camp outside a shop all night to pick up a graphics card have no problems with social distancing. :wink:

I’m in no great hurry, they’ll become available eventually. In the meantime, I’ll get to read the reviews from those that got them, and details over whether the Nvidia FE cards are worth the bother, or not.

2 Likes

The biggest difference, currently Msfs use from 5gb vram average on 1080p, 6GB to 8GB vram on 2K, now with the 3090 24GB, this is more then half more, MSFS will need to adjust these for newer card.

We might see 3080TI with 24GB vram after, Nvidia always release TI and super.

Not a promotion. Just people trying to score a card on opening day. The Microcenters do not allow pre order or reservations on-line when there is limited supply. I think they put the sign up to discourage people from camping when there is not chance to get one.

No one was wearing a mask. That was a good thing to see. People are finally getting wise and living life.

1 Like

You took the words right out of my mou… erm… fingers… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Personally, I’ll be looking to replace my current EVGA card with this one:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-ftw3-ultra-gaming-24gb-gddr6x-ray-tracing-graphics-card-10496-core-1395

Some people just have to “Have it all now”, be it Video cards, or sim software.

As for the people that insist on gathering in crowds, without masks - “Darwin’s Natural Selection” will take care of that.

6 Likes

Paying twice as much for extra 5fps is an overkill.

Indeed. If that’s what makes them happy, then all the power to them. I just hope they can actually afford it. Most people I know that buy expensive things can’t actually afford it and go into debt or live in poverty so they can buy stupid ■■■■ for bragging rights.

Funny thing is, I make a comfortable 6 figures and am debt-free. I can genuinely afford to buy this stuff if I want. But I also value getting good value for my money. And I don’t see the 3090 as good value for gaming.

1 Like

The sim seems to run fine on my inexpensive Acer Nitro 5 laptop.
Maybe I’ll spring for a little more Ram once the sim is running well.

Of course, it will runner better on a Super Expensive Tower, water cooled gaming Monster, but you can’t take that with you so easily when you travel

2 Likes

If you fly, and are not a “senior” professional pilot, then that’s were all your spare money goes … not in computer equipment !!

If you are a Junior Professional Pilot, you can hardly afford to eat.

I’m a software dev working for military and 13 years from retirement. I’m not rich by any means but make a comfortable living. But my main hobby is astrophotography. That’s where the bulk of my disposable income goes. And that’s a hobby that’s a black hole for cash.

3 Likes