310R vs C-414

I’m curious as to this talk of the 310 having more systems depth. The 414 is a more complex aircraft and it’s systems are well modelled so what exactly is it about the 310 that makes the systems so good.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity. On short trips (like 20-30 minutes, would a 414 also be seen flying at like 3000-6000ft levels? Or would one always climb to utilize the speed?

Looking into this as i am looking into the 310 and i am not a major fan of the square dash visuals. I am however not much of a fan of flying high

You can fly the 414 low, but you won’t really be able to utilize it’s strengths without climbing high to get into that thinner air. You won’t be much faster than a 310.

If you’re into real life complexity 414a is WAY more entertaining

3 Likes

Thanks. Very interesting.

You can flood the engines in the 310 and they won’t start as easily. You have to manage engine temperatures otherwise you risk having a failure. These are just examples, there’s much more, but the systems in the 310 are more detailed at the moment. With the 414 you can run max power forever and it won’t have any consequences. It may get there but it isn’t there yet.

2 Likes

I like both but I would say the 310 feels a bit more “realistic”.

3D models and textures are top notch on both sides, same for the sounds.

The 310 seems relatively harder to fly right. The 414 feels like flying on rails in comparison (maybe like in real life I don’t know). Landing with the 310 is more challenging.

If you are starting with Twins and want to mix VFR and IFR, I would go with the MilViz 310.

If you are more into long range, above 15000 feet, IFR kind of flying I would go with the 414.

You want to add the pms50 GTN750 ‘Flight Navigator’ to the 414a though, much better flightplan/IFR control, since MSFS’s flightplan editing sukkie big time. GTN750 creates and updates waypoints from its touchscreen, that is huge.

1 Like

So systems from a failure/consequence perspective. I perhaps thought you meant in some other aspect. This is a well known difference and something that the 310 has introduced that is rare for a MSFS aircraft. It’s good to see this and I hope it’s a trend that continues, but I have my doubts.

2 Likes

Looks like FSReborn are doing sort of the same thing with their Sting S4, so let’s hope even more developers will join this trend.

I really enjoy the 310R specifically because of this. It’s one of the few planes where I actually pay attention to my temps and pressures while flying, since something can actually go wrong.
Only other planes I pay attention to those things are the Wing42 Boeing 247D and the PMDG DC-6.

2 Likes

Probably too late to be of any assistance for you but here is my two bobs worth. I have both the 414 and 310 and both are equally great in both ascetics and flight modelling however my first project with the paint kit for the 414 will be to remove the large mirror on the back wall in the 414 and maybe give it a bit of a clean-up as the original artwork albeit very well done hasn’t seen a cleaner for some time. The 310 is a lighter aircraft and does handle a little different to the 310. The 310 has a lesser climb rate and this is noticeable in the climb as push it too much and your air speed soon drops away. Overall I would say the 310 is about 20% slower at cruising level and also the 414 has a pressurized cabin. A couple of things I have noticed between the pair is the 310 can be a bit hairy on take-off in a good crosswind while the 414 needs to be flown onto the runway on landing as it has a tendency to float a few feet above the runway on landing if left on its own. I haven’t noticed the pulling to the left with the 310 but guess as it’s a much lighter aircraft it may be due to outside influences. If you are planning longer flights then the fuel tanks on the 414 will give you a good hundred miles more distance. Overall both are great aircraft for MSFS but I would say the 414 is easier to fly and more forgiving for the novice flyer, just sayin.

4 Likes

I haven’t used the world map flight planner since I realised it was putting in extra waypoints that didn’t appear in the flightplan so couldn’t be deleted and screwed everything up. Set the departure point, load in, use the 750 or g1000 to build the flight plan in the plane. Only way to go. But anyway …

Too late to help OP but there will be others with the same question. I have both the 414 and the 310. I like them both. The 414 has more shiny features to play with, the 310 has more systems depth and the ownership thing is very cool, the passenger comfort level thing not so much … I’ve always used the 414 as a serious plane for trips where I wanted to cover the ground high and fast, and the 310 as a fun plane for shorter lower trips enjoying the scenery at lower speeds.

Just out of curiosity I did the same 488nm trip today in both planes, one directly after the other. Real weather which was essentially the same in all ways for both flights, no time acceleration, I actually sat there watching the world go by for 3 hrs 4 mins from 11,000’ in the 310R and then again from 21.000’ for 2 hrs 40 mins in the 414A. I was actually seriously surprised that on a 500nm flight there was only ~20 minutes difference, I think in future I will be using the 310 for covering the ground as at the end of the day it’s not significantly slower, the view is better from those heights, it’s a nicer cockpit to sit in, and it’s more fun.

2 Likes

I thought about the 414, but honestly, the 310R is all I need as I like short flights at lower altitudes. I’ve done some cross country flights in the PMDG DC6 and high altitude flying can get boring in a sim.

One thing the 310 has that doesn’t appear to be present in the 414 is 3D passengers and a partially animated co-pilot.

The 414 has more than 2x the number of 3rd party liveries available. No sure why there are so few for the 310. Now that the paint kit has been released, maybe we’ll see some more. If I could figure out how to make a livery, I’d definitely do that.

2 Likes

Nope. The 414 definitely has 3D passengers. Added in last but one update.

1 Like

Oh cool. I hadn’t seen that. I stand corrected.

Ah but the 310 lets you hide the passengers while keeping their weight on the seats if looking at them starts to creep you out !
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I went looking to buy the 310 but it doesnt seem to be in the market place any more???

Was it ever?

Yes.

Is this user on Xbox?

It’s there now, I searched for ‘310’ and there it was. I’m on PC if that matters.