35 years of Top Gun

Feel the Need

3 Likes

Arguably, the Grumman F-14D Tomcat was the world’s best fighter-interceptor ever built. Although larger and heavier than contemporary aircraft, it could out-fight anyone, at “any time baby.” Having served in the U.S. Navy during the Tomcat’s heyday, I’ve got many fond memories of seeing that aircraft perform. However, I will freely admit that when the F-18E/F Super Hornet is configured in a pure fleet defense/air superiority role, it is almost impossible to beat. With the Super Hornet’s ability to accelerate past Mach 1.0 in a vertical climb, all I can say is " WOW!" Back in either 1986 or 87, a Hornet from NAS Cecil Field performed an unlimited takeoff at NAS Jacksonville. He took off climbed vertically to about 50,000 feet while accelerating past Mach 1. When the pilot pitched the aircraft level and headed out to sea, everything went totally silent for a moment, and then we heard a loud sonic boom and the sound of the aircraft’s engines as he continued to accelerate away. Probably one of the most impressive aviation things I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

I can’t begin to comprehend how badass that sight must have been Boss. My fondest memory with jets is looking at Sukhois flying in formation over my place on full burners. It was like a free air show before bed time.

And here I am watching the piston pounders flown from our local aviation museum…namely…P2V7 Neptune, a “flock” of C47’s, Caribou’s and last but not least …a P51 Mustang…bloody beautiful…err speed of sound…not even down hill with the wind behind them. :rofl:
Which reminds me…have been thinking about the Milviz Corsair…will have to chase up some reviews from knowledgeable/experienced simmers.

I visited Armenia back in 2015 and had a blast. While I was there I was able to see Mig-29s and SU-37s put on a tremendous, 5-day training mission airshow. They literally flew over Yerevan 24-hours a day. Seeing the Armenian military put on such an awesome display of their military capabilites made it hard for me to concentrate on my mission for being there. I was there on a Christian mission endeavor to help alleviate suffering amongst the refuges that fled Isis’ attempt to remove all Christians from the Middle East. I was there for 8-days being able to see Isis caravans operating in the Northern Iraqi desert.

1 Like

Ah the Tomcat. One of the most complex planes I have ever flown.

3 Likes

The 14 is a sweet looking machine. Probably the most aesthetically pleasing jet

Well, here we go! We have a long wait until November!

I want the DCS F-14, looks simply amazing. But lord is it expensive and I haven’t taken the time to learn the F-15, A-10, F-18, F-16 and F-5 I already paid for. DCS is amazing, but it’s just too hard to get into without investing TONS of time. I did learn the A-10 ok way back in the day when it was new, but I forgot it all!!! I do hope they do make the easier to get into update to Lock On Modern Air Combat that they have teased for years. But I hope all the DCS aircraft are usable in that!

Well, at least the Top Gun expansion indicates there may be a rosier future for fighters in MSFS than I’d have guessed. I don’t even want the combat so much. I just want accurate, detailed, but still not way too hard to be fun, fully supported (HUDs, afterburners, Mach 1+) fighter jets in MSFS.

1 Like

Yes the F-14 is a highly expensive plane. But that´s the way I love it (not because I lose so much money - but because it delivers absolute stunning quality and photorealistic cockpit, and always remember sometimes there are Steam-sales -50% price reduction for example… :wink: and that was the day I bought it)

Yesternight I took her for a stroll over Area 51 in the vague hope to see some extraterrestrial flight objects without having a clearence high enough to get more detailed information about, but the only thing that happened was that thing burning so much fuel so fast that it ended in an emergency glide landing without engines somewhere in the desert…
It was a long long walk back through the scorching heat.

Here are some screenshots from this flying cat:

1 Like

Stunning shots there, i couldnt hope to play DCS Myself !!! The screenshot i got is actually from MSFS though, i got a legacy mod for the Cat and flew it. its nowhere near realistic cause the cockpit systems dont work, well they dont really exist but its fun to goof around lol !