3ds Max 2021 material editor crashes

Hi, the material editor in the compact mode crashes every time I try to pop it up. In the slate mode it crashes almost every time. If not initially, it will crash sooner or later (rather sooner).
Also, in a new scene, there is no Flightsim material on the list to choose. It’s there after I open an existing scene with this material already in.

It’s not just me, I have a few friends with this issue as well. Max 2019 is OK.

I have the same crashes. I have had to use older Max versions myself.

Can confirm, I have the same problem. If I won’t open the material editor the scene is quite stable, but with working with materials in slate editor the crash is pretty much guaranteed. 3ds max 2021.

I also confirm missing Flightsim material with new scene.

If I disable the parameter editor in slate material editor the crashes and hangs goes away. Of course I can’t edit the material settings, but at least I can assign materials and select by material without crashes.

It’s not a solution to the problem though.

Bump.

SDK 0.9.0.0, 3ds max 2019 and 2021.

In 3ds max 2019 creation of new material in slate editor causes an error:

I also have an error when starting 3ds max 2019:

3ds max 2021 doesn’t even have an MSFS material on the list:

Physical Material to FlightSim Material doesn’t work either.

It makes any work in 3ds max 2021 impossible because I can’t create new materials anymore, and copying existing ones doesn’t work because of the same GUID within the material, sim recognizes both materials as one, I can’t edit the GUID manually. Copying existing material also is the cause of error message.

I solved the issue of the startup script in max 2019 version unistalling 0.9 sdk and installing an old version. 0.6 for me after that the complete menu of first versions of the sdk was back and the startup error gone. if you want to update to the last sdk version you must mantain a copy of the 0.6 ViewportCustomizer.py file, uninstall 0.6, reinstall 0.9 and overwrite ViewportCustomizer.py with the old version,as mentioned in a post on fsdeveloper.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/missing-flightsim-menus-in-3ds-max-fix.449477/

lack of an old versions archive of the sdk’s doesn’t help

Not a fix for the issue. I don’t miss FlightSim menus. This is the list of what’s wrong in Max 2021 (2019 is good):

1. Missing Flight Simulator material in a new scene. So, I can’t create one.
  2. Material editor in the compact mode makes Max to crash when I try to pop it up (in a scene with existing Flight Simulator material [the scene created in Max 2019 or earlier])
  3. Material editor in the slate mode crashes Max after a few clicks in it when working with Flight Simulator materials. Almost everytime when I try to create a new Flight Simulator material.

The bottom line is I can’t create a new Flight Simulator material which is a catastrophic NO GO.

I am having the same problem with Max 2021. The material library does not recognize the flightsim material. But it doesn’t crash. Has anyone been able to fix this problem?

EDIT: I think the issue is solved here : Why is 3DS Max 2021 crashing when editing a Flight Simulator material ? - MSFS DevSupport.