3rd party equality

The title is a bit tongue and cheek and I’m not gonna get all feminist over this but seriously is there any chance that third party aircraft makers can add female pilots?
The Just flight Arrow, Carenado YMF and the Ironworks Spitfire all come with custom pilots but they are all men be good to have female pilots in there too.

10 Likes

If nothing else, it would be nice if we had the option to have the default pilots put in instead. I don’t know if everyone’s is like this but my copy of the sim defaults to a female pilot and (if there is one) a male copilot in the stock aircraft.

1 Like

yes that’s right but you know you can change that and with a small hack you can have no copilot or even pilot. i mean yes id prefer to be more hair styles and clothing options for the default pilots but hey :smiley:
but at least they can be changed the third party you seem to be stuck with what you got.

1 Like

That mostly reflects reality. Women in aviation are exceedingly rare, as it seems they are immune to the aviation bug disease that afflicts so many of us men. I would love to see more women in aviation personally, but they haven’t seemed to have gotten that memo.

It’s actually a little strange to me why that is, but… It is.

i wouldn’t say exceedingly rare i know A LOT of women in aviation even back to ww2 there were a lot of women flying spitfires and transport aircraft. lots of women pilots today flying commercial airliners too, but i would agree far more men than women , i don’t wanna make this a men vs women thing id just like to have the option of female pilots in all aircraft

6 Likes

Agreed. No need to create that kind of feedback loop.

The more, the merrier!

Hi @KevyKevTPA,

I know this is an older post, but it was recently flagged and brought to the attention of the forum moderators:

That mostly reflects reality. Women in aviation are exceedingly rare, as it seems they are immune to the aviation bug disease that afflicts so many of us men. I would love to see more women in aviation personally, but they haven’t seemed to have gotten that memo.

It’s actually a little strange to me why that is, but… It is.

This isn’t an issue of women “not getting the memo” or being “immune to the aviation bug”. Throughout the history of flight, women have always been equally passionate about flying as men. I’m sure you’re already familiar with the accomplishments of Amelia Earhart (first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic, among many other firsts), Jacqueline Cochrane (first woman to fly supersonic), Amy Johnson (first woman to fly solo from the UK to Australia), Mary Ellis (WWII ferry pilot who has more hours flying Spitfires than any other person), Valentina Tereshkova (first woman to fly in space), Connie Marsh (first woman to compete in the Reno Air Races), and many, many other pioneers of aviation.

The reason there aren’t more women in flight is largely one of systemic sexism over decades that has resulted in many women feeling shut out and unwelcome in a male-dominated space. Even when women do find a successful career in aviation, they are often met with derision from men, such as this incident from a few years ago where a passenger on a commercial flight left a note on a napkin to the Captain saying that women should be mothers, not pilots, and that he wanted the airline to advise him in advance if the plane has a woman at the controls so he could book another flight.

At Microsoft and Asobo, we believe that flying is for everyone. For this reason, the default pilot avatars players can select from the options menu are a broad cross section of men and women of many different cultures and ethnicities. We can’t control what 3rd Parties do when they create custom pilot avatars, but we agree completely with @secretfarmerGal and encourage modders to be mindful that representation matters and players of Microsoft Flight Simulator are both men and women from all around the world.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

12 Likes

I regularly hear female pilots on comms when they’re going through the Mach Loop, both RAF and USAF, they’re a lot more widespread than most people realise and it’s fantastic :+1:

Excellent post @SeedyL3205. I took my 11 year old daughter flying and she loved it. Maybe she will be a pilot one day. I have always been mega keen to get more females flying and love the opportunity to introduce them to flight. 99% of the time they absolutely love it.

Absolutely agree. Same goes for aviation youtubers as well; you see so many steveo1kinevos and male GA pilot vloggers. There’s only a handful of female ones (that I’ve seen); I enjoy Just Planes for this reason because I’m pretty sure most if not all of their videos have female airliner pilots.

I totally agree. I have tweaked code in a few so use default female but the amount that just offer no option for female pilots actually makes me feel uncomfortable if not sick. It’s 2021 and even though piloting is male dominated that’s for a reason and ignoring female aviations existence doesn’t help anyone. I was just about to get the new BD-5J but sadly the only pilot available is a male custom model and even if can change in files I’m fed up of doing so. It’s honestly just no acceptable when there’s multiple female pilots by default!