48gb Ram gives much better performance than 32Gb

Just thought I would share my findings regarding Ram.

System
3080ti FE
5900x cpu
Msi x570 MB
Quest 2 with link cable

When I built the system I didn’t think I was bothered about rgb Ram so just purchased 2 sticks of non rgb 16gb corsair 3200 Ram.

I then came across 2 sticks of rgb 8gb crucial balistix 3200 Ram, great price same timings. I know mixing Ram can be hit and miss but could return if problems.

Anyway the 2 sets seemed to be ok and the system was stable and has been for months.

So i have 48gb of 3200 Ram

Recently, I’ve managed to get msfs working pretty well in vr using my quest 2 with link cable especially using the open xr toolkit but I’ve always wondered if the Ram sticks were causing scenery stutter problems when flying low and fast and when I started bumping up the sim settings. I decided take out the ballistix sticks just to check.

So before changing the ram, I was getting 35-40 fps and pretty smooth performance.

I took out the 2 8gb ballistix sticks leaving 32gb of corsair ram and the performance was pretty terrible with 21 fps and lots of stuttering.

Put back in the ballistix sticks, back to 48gb and I am back to smooth performance and 35-40 fps. Nothing else was changed.

It seems that the extra Ram is helping my performance a lot but I didn’t think that increasing Ram over 32gb was necessary.

I’d love to see some measurements to show the improvements. Have you ever used CapFrameX? It measures your average fps, 1% and 0.1% lows (amongst other things). I’d love to see those numbers with 32GB vs 48. In particluar, it’s not the average fps I’m interested in but the 1% and 0.1% lows because that’s where the amount of stuttering can really be measured.

last year i went from 32 gb to 64gb of identical corsair ram and did notice an increase in fps and decrease in stuttering was also able to move the lod sliders in sim higher without much impact on performance.
Myself I wasn’t expecting to see an improvement but done it out of curiosity and was surprised.

I run 32G of low CAS DDR4. Just finished a flight from JFK to Washington DC using the CJ4 and had Hardware Monitor running in the background tracking system resource usage. Maximum memory usage was 47% during the trip and I don’t have stutters.

Ignore, I missed the VR subforum

what were the results with the 2x8Gb sticks only?

Hi
Are you on windows 10 or 11?

Good to hear but I miss the logic. I almost never go above 20 GB RAM having 32 so why 48 should give me an advantage?

So what is your RAM usage?

Let me guess.. did you put 32GB of RAM in slots 1 and 3?
If you really do. Then your memory transfer performance will not be better than 2 and 4 slots.
After all, this game does not use more than 32GB of memory..
The motherboard’s memory circuit design 2 and 4 sockets are closest to the processor.
So the performance will be much better than 1 and 3 sockets..
It is recommended that you can go online to see how to install the most efficient computer host DIY..
My computer configuration is not as good as yours.
The same VR quality can be set to the highest frame rate and can reach 35~40FPS.

3060TI
5600X
ASUS X570
samsung HMD Odyssey

I’ve seen huge improvements from 16GB to 32GB.

That for sure. In 2D my sim alone uses 16GB.

Very interesting. I doubled my GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 2133 MHz RAM from 32 to 64 GB, just for the hell of it. (I7 9700K, RTX 2070 Super), Have not noticed an improvement in performance and monitor RAM usage on the MSFS FPS tool, RivaTuner, and Task Manager. It seems to use in the 12-18 GB range, but not sure about all the nuances of shared memory, etc. And currently using nVidia DLDSR - 2.25 DLD vs. 4.0 DSR - similar performance.

Thanks for the replies. Appreciated.

I still need to look at the ram useage for the 48gb and 32gb configurations and will report back. I’ll look into capframex and how the 32gb and 48gb compares.

I’ve not tried the 2x8gb ballistix sticks on their own yet but will do.

I agree that increasing ram over 32gb shouldn’t make a difference but it was such a drop in performance going from 48 to 32 I couldn’t quite believe it.

I’m using Windows 11

My settings are already pretty high with the occulus quest app maxed out at full resolution and all vr settings on max or ultra and it runs well. So I’m happy with that , It’s when I push lod sliders further that I get some stuttering starting mainly when looking out the side of the cockpit. It maybe that I am at the limit of my system which is fine but I wanted to check the mixed ram and this is when I came across this behaviour.

When running 2 sticks of 32 they are in slots 2 and 4 as per the MB manual.

Interestingly the system will only post with the 2x8gb sticks in slots 2 and 4 and the 2x16gb sticks in slots 1 and 3. Not the other way around.

I gained 5-10fps in MSFS by upgrading from 4x16Gb DDR4-2666 to 2x16Gb DDR4-3600, so faster speed trumped capacity

Just checking -have you increased Off-Screen Terrain Pre-Caching? The setting was added to mitigate this issue. I’ve got it on high

I experimented with 16, 32 and 64 (3600). I saw some improvement from 16 to 32, but nothing from 32 to 64

I also saw nothing notable between AMD 3950x, 5900x and 5950, and rtx 3080 or rtx 3090, if that’s any use to anyone

I don’t think all will see improvements as I believe the quality of motherboard can also have some effect on performance not just with ram though.