5800x3D still better than new 7000 series

I think I’m gonna wait for 7950x3D in any case.

I’m waiting for the newer chips to (hopefully) drive the 5800x3d price down, then I’ll go for that - my PC is just for flight sim and I don’t have a spare COUPLE OF THOUSAND POUNDS lying about to do a worthwhile upgrade to latest gen tech in the next 12 months, so just sticking with 5000 series and my 3070, will make the hop from my 5800x to a 5800x3d when the price is right!

Just out of curiosity, if I buy a mobo that suits for 7950x3D, can one also run 5800x3D on the same mobo or they are incompatible ?

They are incompatible. 5800X3D runs on the older AM4 socket; 7950X3D, if it ever exists in the future, will run on the newer AM5 socket. You’ll need to replace both the motherboard and RAM when changing from one to the other.

1 Like

The OPs assumption is also nagging me no end…
So I’m still on a (heavily overclocked) i7-4770K at the moment, and did not even think about upgrading until I jumped onto the MSFS bandwagon earlier this year.

I want to get the best CPU to specifically tackle MSFS, and the PC will not be used for much else really.

I can see from several benchmarks, that 5800X3D outperforms even the 13900K in very high FPS scenarios
But then again, I’ve also come across benchmarks, that set up more demanding scenarios, with the FPS well below triple digits, and in such cases, the new 7000 was equally fast or even ahead, with higher 1% FPS as well.

With the actual scenario being LODs ramped up to 200-300 (wishing, lol), airports full of FSLTL AI traffic, and FPS probably more in the range of 30-50 in most extreme conditions, my assumption would rather be that the 5800x3D might not even be faster then current gen CPUS, maybe even suffer from lower 1% FPS, due to lower clocks and slower memory speed…but it’s a guessing game really :man_shrugging:

Then there is a possible Zen4 x3D looming, but nobody can tell for sure when/if will hit the market, and if it will offer the same performance boost as Zen3 3d cache did.

1 Like

I can’t see AMD releasing any 7000X3D before 2024 at least. I could of course be wrong but given the fact that the 5800X3D came along near the end of the 5000 lifecycle and reportedly low sales of the 7000 series due to excessive board pricing (one factor), I’m willing to bet we won’t see it any time soon.

1 Like

Agreed, AMD had already messed up here with the 5800x3d out performing the new 7000s so who would want to upgrade their mb, ram and CPU for a 7000 chip? If they released another X3D early next year then no one will want a stock 7000 unless there used in OEM builds.

I think they’ll first discontinue the 5800x3d so people have no choice but to buy the 7000s then later down the line release the next X3D.

I would expect a 7950X (with twice the cores) could pull ahead in very busy scenery areas where there’s a lot of parallel processing going on that makes heavy use of those extra cores – when the other cores are more lightly used, the 5800X3D’s faster per-core performance keeps it ahead with those main thread timings.

Would be curious to see a more organized benchmark on things like KLAX landings with heavy AI traffic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Challenge accepted.

2 Likes

Keep us posted :smiley:

Well after trying this test several times, I am severely GPU bound. Not surprising with a 3070. Anyone with a higher end card and this CPU willing to test…for science?

2 Likes

Assuming it’s higher then lowering your resolution to 1080p may give a better picture. This seems to be the defacto method for measuring cpu performance lately.

Fair enough but I think folks want to see a typical use case situation, i.e. average Joe/Joanne with all his/her/their addons, bells and whistles etc.

Thanks for giving it a go!
And yes, as @DensestSnail693 suggested, 1080p might be the way to get CPU bound. 3070 is fairly fast, in my book

I state that computer science is not my job … I am an owner of 3900x, because when I designed the PC it was considered the right CPU for a high-end machine. Now I hear wonders about this 5800x3d, but …

1. why should it have such high performance if the clock speed compared to 3900x is more or less the same?
  2. The cost of the upgrade (considering that I would sell the old used cpu) is sustainable for me. But would I really notice any significant differences? (the system is RAM32Gb, 3700, 2560x1440 resolution)
  3. Would I have compatibility problems with MB and heatsink?

(and… don’t think I’m stupid. My job is teaching literature, for me MSFS is fun, if you don’t feel like answering just ignore my questions).

For anyone in the UK, 5800X3D is down to £389 on Scan, probably dropped in other countries too. Reportedly, AMD have dropped the price due to raptor lake. If you have AM4, now is the time.

To answer the question above some what, it’s all about the CPU having faster access to things normally stored in RAM. The more cache available to a CPU, the faster it will be. Kind of like having the kettle to make a cuppa at the side of you while flying, instead of going to the kitchen, it’s right there. I’m sure someone with a higher IQ than me can explain in more technical terms.

As for cooling I’m using a double fanned U12S from Noctua, temps are 70c when using Fenix, 75 is the highest I’ve seen so far. I’m also on a Asus B550 Gaming F motherboard, you’ll need to latest BIOS whichever board you have.

1 Like

I’m seeing a price of £349.98 reduced from £469.99 with items still in stock.

If I had an AM4 MB I would definitely be very tempted. It’s a great cpu and a great price. As it is I would need to buy an AM4 board as well and I don’t really want to be locked down to older gen cpus.

Wow, they must have lowered it further!

1 Like

After the recent drop in price for the 5800x3D (EUR 371,- in my area) I could not resist any longer and upgraded my system from an i7-4770k (oc’ed @4.4Ghz)
I run the x3D in conjunction with a 3080TI, and, solely speaking of MSFS, this CPU and GPU complement each other really fine.
Running at 3840x1600, ultra settings, TOD of 300, FSLTL AI traffic, default C172, and sitting on the ground in Airports in Seattle, New York, or London, FPS are main thread limited in the high 40s to low 50s.
before becoming GPU limited at 60-70FPS once airborne
I’ve capped FPS at 80 now to avoid unneccesary power draw when flying over water, or rural areas…never had that before in a flight simulator :joy:

2 Likes

If your gpu already runs at 99 or 100% there are no more frames to be won without lowering graphics quality. IMO an X3D will bring little benefit to those with any less than an rtx3070 especially as LOD no longer appears to be so restricted.

1 Like