6D Tracker - New head tracking app for iOS

Hi everyone,

As you may know there are several head tracking apps available for iPhone. I personally wasn’t happy with any of them so I ended up creating my own alternative from scratch.

1242x2688bb

Among other features, it offers native support for all device orientations and pads that give you the ability to apply and reset camera offsets very quickly. This allows you to, for instance, look at what’s behind you, to adjust the vertical position between different planes or when taking off and landing, etc. These pads also free the need for any camera-related bindings in your controller(s).

You can find the app here: 6D Tracker @ Apple App Store
There are set up instructions inside the app in case you’ve never used opentrack-based apps before.

At the moment I’m still experimenting with custom, low-latency noise filters. A new update may be coming on the next couple of weeks. Please let me know if you have any questions and/or suggestions.

3 Likes

Can I use an iPad pro? M1

Haven’t tested it on iPad yet. It might work (in iPhone emulation mode) as long as the iPad has a Face ID-capable front camera.

Where is the orientation setting? In the app or in the opentrack settings?

Mike

I’m not sure if I understood the question… The app supports any orientation of the device, you just have to rotate/position it as it’s most comfortable to you. The UI will adjust itself even if the system’s rotation lock is enabled.

Making any settings of sliders in opentrack is difficult for me. So I wonder if it is necessary to set the sensitivity in opentrack or in the 6D tracker application. Thanks.M

You can use the sensitivity sliders inside 6D Tracker exclusively (the number represents the multiplier that will be applied in a given dimension). They are simpler than the sliders found in opentrack, but they should be enough for the majority of people.

By the way, the reason I added these sliders to 6D Tracker is because of the option “Apply rotation offset to position”. This option can make movements of the head more natural and intuitive when a significant amount of roll, yaw and/or pitch are applied. However, any sensitivity adjustments in opentrack must be disabled in order for this option to work as expected. The adjustments inside the app will always work as expected.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will try.

1 Like