747-8i, engines 2-3 failures in landing challenges activity

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

2 tags are required: One for platform, and one for aircraft.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Si

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

Boeing 747-8i (Asobo default)

Brief description of the issue:

I premise that the aircraft operates correctly starting a free flight, from a cold and dark state until the conclusion of any flight, but in the landing challenges activity it begins with engines 2 and 3 failing with warning messages fuel pumps failure. It is impossible to restart the systems of the aircraft which will go into total failure.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Start a predefined landing challenge with Boeing 747-8i

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Still impossible for me. Engines keep quitting on me - Fuel qty/press and oil temp issues. 747 operates perfectly fine outside of this one landing challenge.
Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2023.06.28 - 18.05.31.89

4 Likes

Same problem for me! Two engines quit in the middle of the challenge and all 4 engines shut down just before touchdown.
Is a fix planned? I’m using this on mg Xbox Series X

4 Likes

Likewise. Didn’t think it was possible, but this challenge has somehow gotten even more impossible with the addition of this odd engine failure(s) issue I’ve been experiencing. The best I have been able to eke out on this challenge was a B after dozens of attempts, but now it’s completely undoable.

Same problem here on xbox series x and TCA quadrant. Not only Dusseldorf is broken. All landing challenges with the new b747 are broken and have for me the same behavior idave2012 described.

Yes. Most of the 747-8 landing challenges broke when AAU2 updated the 747-8.

The following landing challenges are broken, because they start you with empty center and inboard tanks. Innsbruck, for example, works because it has fuel in the center tank. This causes fuel fault messages on EICAS, leads to 1-4 engines shutting down, and the aircraft blacking out and restarting on backup electrics, making it almost impossible to complete the challenges.
List of broken 747 landing challenges:
Düsseldorf
Punta Raisi
Arlanda
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta
León

7 Likes

Yes

Unable to do Leon landing challenge in 747 as engines cut out. Can sometimes restart the engines, but then they cut out again. Engines 2 and 3 cut out soon after start of challenge, and all engines cut out closer to landing.

3 Likes

I have the same issue…
Also when using GPS NAV I no longer have the track line on the map.

1 Like

Same here, unable to restart

1 Like

Yes

Whenever I load into a landing challenge involving the 747, I immediately spawn with no oil or fuel pressure. Engines 2 and 3 roll back, and if I go idle, engines 1 and 4 roll back. Which is an issue because if I’m landing, I want to be idle. Which means no engines, and that means no hydraulics. No braking, and I overrun, if I manage to get to the runway. Makes the challenges impossible.

1 Like

Yes

Full, all engine shutdown can be mitigated if engines 2 and 3 are shut down immediately upon challenge start. Engines 1 and 4 will operate with fluctuations in thrust/power output for a short time (about 10-20sec) before stabilising and operating as normal. Landing challenge can be completed from this point, albeit with the added challenge of only having two engines. Annoying, and not as it should be, but fully within the capabilities of the 747-8.

1 Like

Also is impossible to brake as it seem that also the brake system pressure falls to 0

Same issue - weirdly it seems to have gradually worsened as if the fuel just isn’t reset after each attempt. Brake issue didn’t happen until about 5 attempts.

Yes

The only way I have been able to complete this challenge without a full electrical failure is by proactivly shutting down engine 2&3. Some times engine 2 and 3 fail on their own first however when they dont typically will have a 4 engine failure when close to runway

One additional detail is that It looks like the cross feed valves 2&3 don’t work. when both in the on and off position the fuel management display shows the valve as closed.

Update → so in normal flight the 787 fuel valve 2&3 are closed regardless of switch. in the landing challenge they are stuck open.However the only way I have got them to draw from the side tanks is to shut down all the main tank pumps and then restart the engines.

The 747 landing challenge maybe an air disaster investigation challenge?! :thinking: a new activity for 2024?! :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Working Title is adding automatic fuel management into SU13 scheduled for today. It will be an option in the FMC.

I wonder if turning that option on then restarting the landing challenge will fix this issue? Someone will have to test.

Same problem with the Leon challenge tonight. Embarrassing that these issues remain for months without proper recognition

1 Like

Yes

On most of 747 landing challenges, engines 2 and 3 engines shutting down, and the aircraft blacking out and restarting on backup electrics after landing Which means no engines, and that means no hydraulics. No braking, and I overrun, if I manage to get to the runway. Makes the challenges impossible.

apparently the problem has existed for 6 months now, it would be great to resolve it, right?

1 Like

I think the idea of the challenge is to deal with the failures. Cut off fuel for engines 2 and 3 and continue on remaining engines.

It is not intentional. It only started happening after they updated the 747 and the save state that the landing challenge uses was no longer properly compatible and they never bothered to update the save state to work properly with the new 747

2 Likes