747 autoland and autopilot/lnav feedback

Which aircraft are you experiencing this issue in?

aau2 asobo/wt boeing 747-8

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Brief description of the issue:

I did a small circuit around ENVA, no route, simply using HDG mode. Loaded up the approach ILS27. First thing I noticed was that I could not enter the ILS course in the RADNAV page, it was already set along with the frequency. Unsure if this is realistic or not, just not used to this in a boeing. When on downwind doing a 90 degree turn for the base leg, the aircraft did not maintain altitude, sank 500ft which it quickly corrected. Very wonky LNAV. I captured the ILS, although I was unable to enable dual CMD for some reason, my intention was to execute an autoland. CMD L was already engaged, tried both CMD C and CMD R, neither would engage. Once again, unsure how it works in the real aircraft. When overflying the runway threshold, the aircraft was way too high. A few seconds on, it started flaring at 50-60ft, resulting in it touching down in the middle of the runway, way off the touchdown markers.

NB: I started from the runway with default weights, a little overweight for landing, but still quite odd to start flaring at 60ft.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

AAU 2 Beta (1.33.3.0)

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes, the auto land will be tuned much further on a later build. As far as the auto pilot. The sim only has one, so that is why only one lights up. It will be slightly different on a later build as well.

1 Like

This is as far you can go at the moment regarding the 747.

All well but this was a perfect example of how to perform a stabilized landing into a crash site.

It is, yes. The 747 and upwards automatically enter the freqency based on given ILS info for the runway entered. Im not 100% sure though if one should be allowed to enter it manually. Bt the first one is correct.

Is anyone else experiencing lack of pitch control after disconnecting the autopilot at minimums. I can’t arrest my descent and the plane slams into the runway at -600 fpm. Am i missing something do i need to disconnect the flight director also i feels like the autoland is still on

Is your initial approach for a full auto land? Or do you want to take over for a manual lading?

-Bram

D/c autopilot and land manually

If you want to land manually, go to manual controls before capturing the glide slope and use FD and Papi lights.

-bram

P.s. this is a full auto land

Thanks i should be able to have the autopilot fly to minimums disconnect and fly it in manually. On the updated 747-8 it seem that i lose pitch control after disconnecting. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same and if i was doing something wrong.

I’ll try to replicate that with the 747.
My experience with the 747 is very limited.