7800X3D & 4070 TI Super

Hey all! I am looking to build a new PC. What are your thoughts on the below? This will go with my SAMSUNG 34" Odyssey G85SB Series QD-OLED Ultra WQHD Curved Gaming Monitor.

Coming from an i9-9900k & 3080, I am currently locked at 40fps, but I sometimes have a hard time achieving that with the Fenix and I do get stutters. I feel like it’s not smooth. Think I could come closer to 60fps with no stutters with the below? That is my goal :slightly_smiling_face: If I can get ~60 fps and it’s smooth in the Fenix, I will be happy!

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi AM5 (LGA1718) Ryzen 7000 Gaming Motherboard(12+2 Power Stages,DDR5,3xM.2 Slots,PCIe® 5.0,WiFi 6E,2.5G LAN,USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C® Port)

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

GPU - 4070 TI Super

RAM - G.SKILL Flare X5 Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30-38-38-96

Storage - SAMSUNG 990 PRO Series - 2TB PCIe Gen4. X4 NVMe 2.0c - M.2 Internal SSD

PSU - MSI MAG A850GL 80+G ATX3

Cooler - Arctic III 360

Case - Fractal North XL

Components look good to me, but FWIW I think the water cooler is way overkill; the 7800X3D doesn’t run that hot, especially since it rarely draws even 80 watts.

2 Likes

That’s a perfect setup for ultra wide since. Fenix will bring any system to its knees. I still have to tweak my settings, lower my TLOD but that is a better CPU than what I have.

I’m running a 5800X3D and 4080 super 3440x1440. 90fps with fenix but that’s with frame Gen on.

1 Like

Thanks! So without FG you get high 40s FPS with the Fenix? Any reason why I SHOULDN’T use FG with my new system?

Correct high 40s low 50s.

The base frame on the 4070ti super should be enough. It is worth using.

1 Like

Agreed. Save money and buy a Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO

Should fit just fine in your Fractal North XL

The downside is that you’ll be dumping the CPU heat into the case, instead of out through the (top-mounted?) AIO radiator exhaust. But that case, with its 3x140mm fans, should do fine. Might be a little noisier as the fans keep up with the extra heat.

When I first built my system, I installed a closed loop pump/ reservoir/ 2x120mm top-mount radiator. The CPU had a water block connected to the radiator, and the GPU used its built-in fans. I switched to an CPU air cooler (Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120) and bought a water block for the GPU, putting it on the closed loop system instead.

All my temps improved, and my case has gotten quieter as well. The GPU was the main source of heat, and liquid cooling it took all that heat out of the case.

The only other thing I could do would be to add another radiator into the closed loop and put the water block back on the CPU. But there’s no need. My 5800X3D runs at 60°C while flying. The Thermalright air cooler really is that good.

1 Like