7800X3D and RTX 4090 performance issues

Recently upgraded my PC but I’m not pleased with the performance I’m getting. 40 FPS at most with default aircraft at default airports, and from the benchmarks I’ve seen it should be much more even without using frame generation. The game is also incredibly stuttery depending on where I move the camera, as seen in this video: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2023.06.12 - 11.47.34.01.

Any ideas on what may be causing this at what the solution can be? I’ve done a few benchmarks and the results are normal, so the performance issue seems to only be happening in MSFS. As a bit of info, this is on a fresh install of Windows 11.

In-game settings are just the Ultra preset, resolution is 5120x1440p.

Thanks!

Not normal at all.

• Empty the community folder
  • Empty and disable (even temporarily) the rolling cache
  • Remove the current nVidia driver with DDU in Windows safe mode (this will also clear the shaders cache)
  • Install the latest nVidia driver without GeForce Experience (for the moment in order to avoid automatic “optimizations”, once you sort everything out you can install it separately)
1 Like

Just tried all of these, it’s still the same :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Have you tried DLSS without frame gen?
Have you tried looking at the devmode FPS graph? Are you CPU or GPU limited?

I have, it’s the same. I’m mostly CPU limited, here’s a video showing it: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2023.06.12 - 11.47.34.01

The GPU does have some spikes when panning quickly though.

Can you take a screen shot of your graphics settings? What airport are you at and do you have live weather/atc on? I have the same system as you (7800X3D + 4090) and can try it out.

Wow that’s absolutely not normal. Is the video without DLSS or with? Are you running anything in the background? When did you last reinstall Windows?

It’s KSEA, spawning on runway 16L. Weather is clear skies at 15:00 local time, just preset, not live.

From cockpit view the max I get is 45, but it drops down to the 30s when moving.

It’s all default Ultra with the terrain LOD at 300 (but moving it back to 200 doesn’t really help, it still drops to below 30 FPS being CPU limited).

1 Like

The video is with TAA. I tried DLSS but it didn’t make a difference, DLSS frame generation does help but I still get stutters and some artifacts so I’d prefer to not use it.

Not running anything in the background and I reinstalled Windows some hours ago, MSFS is pretty much the only program installed right now.

Try choosing DX11

Do you have Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (HAGS) on in Windows? If so, try turning it off.

Also, what happens if you run at say 1080p?

Ok I tested it on my system… A310 at KSEA 16L clear skies, similar settings (except I’m at 3840x2160 since I don’t have a Ultra Wide Screen monitor)… I got very similar results as you in Dev mode… With TAA on and frame generation off, (all else on Ultra preset) I was hovering anywhere in the 30s to 40s fps. Turning on Frame generation helped alot… Brought me up to the 70s and 80s according to MSI Afterburner (although MSFS Dev mode still said in the 30s and 40s)… Next step would be to try DX 11

PC: 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 2X32GB 6000 CL30 memory, 4TB NVME SSD, X670E ATX MB

4 Likes

Exact same thing. Tried with HAGS off, DX11, no improvements.

Tried it but it didn’t make much difference.

■■■■, I guess I got fooled by benchmarks then :woozy_face: saw people get 60+ FPS without using frame generation in extreme situations with AI traffic and all.

Do you also have the stuttering when panning around? That’s the most annoying part for me, makes it unplayable.

Do you have any traffic enabled or FSLTL running (and at what settings, if so)?

Also got the stutter… But turning on Frame Generation practically eliminated it. Try a basic airplane (like a C152 at a small airport in the middle of nowhere), what kind of frames do you get then?

Edit: Also what’s the rest of your build like? We know you have a 7800X3D + 4090, but what does the rest of your system look like? Memory, Motherboard, SSD?

This is my test with an RTX3090 (so obviously without frame generation), at 3440x1440/Ultra+ settings, real time weather and traffic.
Framerate is not stellar but solid during panning in the cockpit. Also, minimal stuttering in external view.

I have real time traffic enabled but no addons.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. I hardly ever fly the airliners so maybe it’s just normal for such complex airliners at that resolution (weirdly, higher res increases CPU load by a lot in this Sim).

I also have a 4090 /7800x3D system and I can get 90fps in VR if I tweak it right, but only with GA planes and not in NYC etc.